Food & Fiction discussion

Food and Fiction > Snacking While Reading

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Perrino | 60 comments Mod
Is there a food that you like to snack on while reading? If so, share it below!

message 2: by Donna (new)

Donna Harris (donnasquaw) | 16 comments My favorite all time snack is popcorn! I eat popcorn almost everyday. I eat different flavors, plain, doesn't matter, I love it all!

message 3: by Craftnut (new)

Craftnut I try really hard not to eat while reading, too many calories ingested without realizing it. I am trying to lose weight not gain, LOL!! Plus I don't want food stains on my books. I have been known to have my head in a book at the dinner table when I am eating alone, but I insist on using a fork.

message 4: by Donna (new)

Donna Harris (donnasquaw) | 16 comments I don't like getting my books dirty or stained either. I have a book board that I lay my book on while I read. I'm disabled and it's hard for me to hold the book by it's self. I have chronic pain throughout my whole body and my hands. I use one hand only to eat my popcorn and I make sure I don't touch any thing. Most of my books that I have are from years ago and I re-read them. I like keeping my books and magazine nice, no bent pages, torn, spilled on etc. I don't even lien my books out to someone else either, I did that years ago, I either didn't get them back and if I did they were in bad shape. I spent a lot of money on all my books and other people don't respect others property.
I don't read while eating a meal because I know for sure I would have my food all over it.lol! I'm clumsy that way.

message 5: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Perrino | 60 comments Mod
Healthy snacks count too! And Donna, I know the feeling of lending a book (or anything) to someone and then never seeing it again. I lent one friend the second Harry Potter book, which was the first one I ever read in the series, and he has no idea where it is! Tragic.

message 6: by Kara (new)

Kara (kararota) | 30 comments Mod
When I was a kid, my parents put up with the EXTREMELY rude habit I had of reading at the table, with my book propped up in front of my plate so I could read while shoveling down breakfast or dinner. I still love reading a good book with some of my favorite childhood comfort foods, like a perfect tuna sandwich.

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth Matthew wrote: "Healthy snacks count too! And Donna, I know the feeling of lending a book (or anything) to someone and then never seeing it again. I lent one friend the second Harry Potter book, which was the firs..."

I can beat that. I lent a book to a friend and it was returned twice as big due to being water damaged. She acted like it wasn't a big deal and if I "really" wanted a new one she would get it. I told her it was out in paper back so it wouldn't be as much money but she never followed through.

message 8: by Beth (new)

Beth Deidre (cotton candy girl) wrote: "I was in a thrift shop this morning, and found a copy of Nicky Pellegrino's book, 'Recipe For Life'. I bought it for NZ$3.00, so I was so thrilled, because I love this book!"

I love when that happens!

message 9: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 7 comments I love snacking while reading lol. When I was a kid, it was Doritos ...you could spot the tell tale orange smudges on the pages! As an adult I'm a lot more careful.

message 10: by Donna (new)

Donna Harris (donnasquaw) | 16 comments I have a good one for not returning books. Back in 2005 I was suppose to die within 6 months or less. I was in a nursing home, my sons and mom cleaned out my apartment. I had my books in them plastic square cubes stacks on them. Well my sister-in-law wanted them to read and told mom and my sons she'll have them if they wanted them. Well I didn't die and after my release from the home, I asked her for the books back. Put it this way she returned one cube not even full and said that was all she had. She returned 8 books out of tons and tons of books. I can't replace them books because one reason I'm disabled and a low fixed monthly income. I already told my sons if something happens to me again to donate all my books to the library.

message 11: by Jenny (new)

Jenny D (JennyD2) | 1 comments I love to eat/nibble while reading, but in the interest of not gaining a million pounds, I try to eat things that I can take a long time eating. Pistachios in the shell, fresh cherries, almonds (weird but i love eating almonds tiny bite by tiny bite), sunflower seeds. Popcorn would be good for this if I liked it.

I try not to eat full meals because I am a messy eater and I love my books too much hahah!

message 12: by Shereen (new)

Shereen Henry It's always red grapes for me - I love them!

message 13: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Hello! I am new to the group...I personally like hot beverages when I read a book, except for during the hot summer. Then I prefer iced tea once in a while (not habitually by any means). Popcorn and almonds make good snacks when reading. I don't snack too often while I read though. My aunt is a very saavy computer person and she likes to eat peanut m&ms while she is on the computer. So now I think of that when I see peanut m&ms lol.

As for book thieves...That's so sad Donna. I had loaned out one of my favorites, the first Left Behind book, and I never saw it again either. Sigh. But that's not as great a loss as yours.

Are there any other coffee lovers on here? What brands, flavors, creamers, etc. do you like? I am enjoying some Folgers MochaSwirl right now. It's good. I didn't know what to expect but I was not disappointed.

message 14: by Masus (new)

Masus Cauich (almightymay) | 5 comments Coffee. Actually, when I have the time to relax and lay in bed to read, it's most of the time with a nice cup of coffee or maybe tea, and when it's summer I like to drink my sister's special chocolate milkshake. And if she's not in the mood for making me one, a nice glass of cold water is always good.

Also, I don't eat while I read. I think, besides I take the risk of mess up my loved books, I get distracted easily and I can't focus on my reading, and I don´t like that, at all.

message 15: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie I'm the same way Marie! It can be distracting eating sometimes while reading. Not almonds though. Lol But coffee, tea, or hot chocolate always goes well with a book!

message 16: by Masus (new)

Masus Cauich (almightymay) | 5 comments Specially hot chocolate. In those winter times, when you don't want to do anything but stay in your bed all day, warm and comfortable with your bedcover, a book and a sweet cup of hot chocolate.

It's hard though, to achieve that someday. Unfortunately, there are a lot of things to do... At least, at my house is that way.

message 17: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie I hear you though even during my busiest times I think...if I can just have one hour to just read a book! Saturday mornings are great for spending hours reading. What do you like to read? I hope you find some time in your schedule that works for you by the way.

message 18: by Masus (new)

Masus Cauich (almightymay) | 5 comments I really like to read drama or romance(:
I'm not the busiest person on Earth, but I don't have a lot of free time either. The only way I can read the way I like to, It's sacrificing my precious sleeping time. It's not a big sacrifice, actually, I would prefer to read instead of sleep at night. The bad part of it? If I stay awake all night reading, I'll be sleeping at school the next day.

Unfortunately, I have school on saturdays(well, you can call it "school", it's more kind of... extracurricular classes).

message 19: by Diana S (last edited May 15, 2014 12:58AM) (new)

Diana S Some very thin slices of cheese, fruit, served on top of these multi-grain crackers that I love and a cup mug of green tea with mint. Yummy!
(my favorite is thin slices of brie and green apples)

Also, peanuts, pumpkin seeds, popcorn, and smoothies.

message 20: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie I like drama and romance as well. Mystery and suspense too.
As for sleep, I have fallen for the lies I've told myself many times. The ones where I tell myself "okay, you can read one more hour but then you have to go to sleep" and three hours later be looking at the clock nervously thinking "I am going to be so tired tomorrow...but I just can't put this book down till I finish it." Sleep is so good but a really good book wins out almost everytime.

Sorry you have extra classes on Saturdays:-( Will you have more free time during the summer?

message 21: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Hi Diana! I never had pumpkin seeds but I know I like smoothies:-)

message 22: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca A plate of Granny Smith Apple slices, some sharp cheddar and a glass of Perrier. Or a strong cup of Tea with lemon and a plate of cookies.

message 23: by Masus (new)

Masus Cauich (almightymay) | 5 comments Oh, I hope so. I'll be so thankful when school's finally OVER. I just have so many books to read... I can't wait for summer to come.

(Cookies are always good. I love cookies, specially Oreos<3)

message 24: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie I do too-I ALWAYS have too many books to read.

Cookies and Oreos-Yum:-)

message 25: by Amber (last edited May 16, 2014 03:50AM) (new)

Amber (puresurplus) Just give me a tall tin glass of cold Thai tea.

message 26: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Oooh nice! I have aluminum glasses. I've never had iced Chi tea.

message 27: by Heena (new)

Heena Rathore Pardeshi (heenarathore) I love having light snacks while reading books like pop-corn, oreo cookies, even fruits but sandwiches and subs are always a treat. Also a big cuppa' coffee. :)

message 28: by Kara (new)

Kara (kararota) | 30 comments Mod
Heena wrote: "I love having light snacks while reading books like pop-corn, oreo cookies, even fruits but sandwiches and subs are always a treat. Also a big cuppa' coffee. :)"

I don't think I've met anyone else who likes eating sandwiches while reading. Once you figure out the hand coordination it's well worth it. :)

message 29: by Masus (new)

Masus Cauich (almightymay) | 5 comments Cold Thai tea?
Is it good? I have to try it ;)

message 30: by Robyn (new)

Robyn My favorite snack is some cheese and crackers with a glass of wine, but that never seems to happen.

message 31: by Cori (new)

Cori (clp412) On the weekend I love getting my son down for his morning nap and reading while enjoying a cup of coffee. I know I have 101 other things to do, but I look forward to even just 30 minutes of getting lost in a book with coffee!

message 32: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie I'm glad you do that for yourself Cori! That's awesome!

message 33: by Bas (new)

Bas | 8 comments Donna wrote: "I have a good one for not returning books. Back in 2005 I was suppose to die within 6 months or less. I was in a nursing home, my sons and mom cleaned out my apartment. I had my books in them plast..."

Cassandra wrote: "I love snacking while reading lol. When I was a kid, it was Doritos ...you could spot the tell tale orange smudges on the pages! As an adult I'm a lot more careful."

Donna, please let me know one title that is dear to your heart that you would like to have replaced. I would be honored to order it and have it sent to you. Blessings, Linda

message 34: by Bas (new)

Bas | 8 comments I have learned over the years that if I intend to snack while reading, I must portion out my snack rather than eat it directly from the bag, box, etc. One time I consumed so many M&Ms that I almost made myself physically ill...yet it didn't stop me from reaching into the bag to eat just "one more"!!!!