Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Job Interviews...

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I'm blatantly stealing this link from Gus's facebook feed:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/workli...

How are you in job interviews? Are you smooth like (the smooth kind of) chocolate? Do you stumble all over your words? Ever had a bad interview? A great one?

message 2: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I've had good interviews, I've had bad interviews, and I've had interviews that were going so bad, I simply got up and walked out.

message 3: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 158 comments I am ok...not great but not as bad as these people...

Although I did use this one once-"My parents told me I need to get a job so that is why I'm here." - McGowan

In my defense I was still in college and it was for a crappy retail job...I would never have dreamed of saying that if it were a job like the one I have now. They asked why I wanted to work there and it had been 4 months since my last job so I told them the truth...That my mom said that if I didnt get a job in the next month that I would lose my car.

They did hire me though...so I guess it wasnt that bad

message 4: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) I tend to get hired when I'm interviewed. One didn't hire me because I was only a summer applicant (summer before going off to college out-of-state). Then weeks later, after I already found a summer job, the company wanted to hire me.

It's the application part for gov't jobs that's difficult. If I can reach the interview part, I know I'll be fine.

message 5: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I haven't had one in 10 years and I hope not to have one for another 10 years. I had to interview people for the first time in my life recently, though. THAT was fascinating.

message 6: by Lori (new)

Lori Gretchen, yeah interviewing people is a mind-blowing experience, so much is apparent within seconds that I never realized when I interviewed! And I'm not talking about nervousness, that's a given that is quite understandable and looked past. Maybe as you interview more it gets more mundane?

I usually had terrific interviews once I started creatively visualizing ahead of time, of me feeling OK, smiling and connecting. I also started applying some thespian tricks - mirror mirror mirror to get into the mindset of the interviewer, then you can start linking in a more natural way.

But that's not to say I haven't had some awful interviews. One in particular is absolutely cringe-worthy in remembrance even tho is was almost 25 years ago! It was a strange interview - the guy took me out to eat in a fancy schmancy restaurant, with his wife, and I basically went catatonic. UGH.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.