The Robin Hobb Collection discussion

SoldierSon #2: Forest Mage > Forest Mage > Part 1: Chapter 6 to 10

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments Alex wrote: "Also, a fascinating discussion about fat-shaming when it's beyond his control in that chapter. How nobody gets mad at disease and its effects, but Nevare gets the worst of it"

Even when his father gets the letter that it's medical he still can't handle it. At least Sergeant Duril seems to be listening

message 2: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments Ch 7 - Dewara! So now we know Nevare's magic can heal him rapidly. It seems all Speck Wizards are fat with magic.

message 3: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments Alex wrote: "Chapter 8 — I have a feeling that Nevare would have been able to convince his dad if only he had left the "this is all your fault!" part out of it. I think that's what caused him to snap at the end..."

It just hasn't occurred to his father that it could be anything else I think. I don't really blame him for that - but he's still being a pig.

I'm interested in Nevare's little revelation that he is subconsciously building up his body to house the magic. He's also pretty fit - I bet he can move fast if the need should arise.

message 4: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments Alex wrote: "Chapter 9 — Wow. Plague doesn't afraid of anything. Not the neatest resolution to Nevare and his dad's war, but a very fitting one. Nature doesn't care about humans and their dreams, it will come i..."

Yeah - and Nevare's magic again saves him from starvation. I guess Nevare's the eldest son now. Does that mean he inherits?

message 5: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments Ch 10 - I can see Nevare's sister having to stay longer than she wants with her Father - then she'll end up hating Nevare for leaving her. I hope not but this is Hobb after all.

message 6: by Hanne (new)

Hanne (hanne2) | 791 comments Mod
a bit weird to read about this speck plague while i am still recovering too. i wonder whether i could write to work and say 'i got the speck plage'? somehow it sounds more impressive that the stupid cold that got me on my knees :)

first of all, i'm so glad Yaril is back on the good side. she really disappointed me in her behaviour towards Nevara. i was really hoping she would go with him to the forest, would be good for him to have some company!

the father continues to be a complete asshole, ungrateful son of a bitch. the way he entered the dinner scene was just awful.

i was surprised about how unmeaningful the scene with Dewara was. even if there are two important things: one plainsmagic is indeed dying, and two: nevara can heal himself. how cool is that? we have a mirakuru superhero and no-one knows it!

message 7: by Hanne (new)

nevara is slightly moving to my good books, even if there are still some things i dislike. i do wish he would stand up for himself, even if that would have been detrimental in the relationship with his father. plus, i do not like the "this is not my fault" attitude. a lot of it isn't, but blaming others won't help him either.

message 8: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments Hanne wrote: "was surprised about how unmeaningful the scene with Dewara "

I think as Dewara is some sort of shaman for the plains magic then his dying along with his magic seems right to me. But yeah - no answers.

message 9: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 38 comments Alex wrote: "Chapter 8 — I have a feeling that Nevare would have been able to convince his dad if only he had left the "this is all your fault!" "

I agree, Nevare still has some of that petulant kid in him.

@Hanne Let us know how the speck plague excuse works for you with work....might have to try that myself.

message 10: by Ctgt (last edited May 14, 2014 03:01PM) (new)

Ctgt | 38 comments There are a couple of cool references in chapter 9:

I could feel how my body now conserved all things-water, food and even the energy I used to breathe or move. I was like a mighty tree, standing silent and bare of leaf, life seemingly suspended until spring might come again.

I rose and followed him stiffly, walking like a wooden man.

I forced my knees to remember how to bend. My feet felt stiff as roots and even my hips worked grudgingly.

Dropping enough hints here?

I'm thinking Ents.

message 11: by Hanne (new)

just waiting for some hobbits to come along now.
(sorry, reading Elizabeth Moon in parallel and there i've got elfs and orcs so i'm in the mood)

message 12: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments Ctgt wrote: "I thinking Ents. "

Ha Ha! Yes. That hadn't crossed my mind at all till you mentioned it.

message 13: by Hanne (new)

i can believe that. i've only picked it up when it was somewhat obvious though, like the stairs incident