Ashfall (Ashfall, #1) Ashfall discussion

There's Science in My Science Fiction!

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jennifer Lui Through reading the reviews of this book, I've noticed that a lot of readers have enjoyed that there is a lot of scientific background in the novel. Do you believe that it's important to be able to learn some sort of scientific information from a book that's categorized as science fiction? Or are science fiction books just fiction that happens to be about science whether it has any scientific reasoning in it or not?

message 2: by Dramapuppy (last edited May 28, 2014 03:38PM) (new)

Dramapuppy I haven't read this one yet, so no spoilers please.

Sci fi is not scientific. Often mindless, these inventions/events could never happen. (ex. time traveling to a time in the future where we all have epic robot legs we found on a planet in another universe.)

Science Fiction is scientific. Based in scientific knowledge, these inventions are things that might really happen. (ex. super-advanced tablets, robots available to the public, etc.)

But there's a lot of controversy over the specific definitions. You'd have to look into that yourself.

Ariel I absolutely loved all the information in this book. The details fascinated me, and it was definitely one of the things that kept me interested in the series. I was blown away by all the little details that wouldn't have even occured to me unless the author had pointed them out.

I think science fiction is a very flexible genre. As long as it includes a good amount of science or technology in it, it fits in my mind. Sometimes authors come up with something so advanced that we couldn't possibly explain the details of it. Ashfall is different from that, as in it is supposed to be happening in the world that we know now. The author could add so much detail because it was things that he could research. So, I guess what I'm trying to say, is that I like it when science fiction has the cool details like that, but it's not necessary as long as it has something to do with human advancement.