Owls Be Reading discussion

May 2016: Shadow and Bone > Main Discussion Thread!

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lonna, Owlette (new)

Lonna | FLYLēF (flylef) | 89 comments Mod
MEMBERS!! Are you ready to cross the Shadow Fold? Discover the untapped powers of the Grishaverse? Feel free to discuss all your thoughts here with other members as you read. If you're worried about spoiling the story for someone, please hide your words in a spoiler.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I am ready to read this book! I've never heard of it before, nor have I read it but just in time I've received my library copy today! So excited to get started and thanks so much Lonna, for stepping in and organizing this month's discussion. Looking forward to chatting with you.

message 3: by Lonna, Owlette (last edited May 02, 2016 01:27AM) (new)

Marcelina☮ wrote: "I am ready to read this book! I've never heard of it before, nor have I read it but just in time I've received my library copy today! So excited to get started and thanks so much Lonna, for steppin..."

Hi Marcelina (lovely name)! Glad the timing worked out so well. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on Shadow and Bone.

message 4: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Scofield (goodreadscomkayla_lemmon) | 9 comments I'm about 40 pages in now (maybe more) and already like it! I'm usually not into fantasy books but this one caught my attention so far.

message 5: by Lonna, Owlette (new)

Kayla wrote: "I'm about 40 pages in now (maybe more) and already like it! I'm usually not into fantasy books but this one caught my attention so far."

Hi Kayla, I'm glad that you're enjoying it so far. I love fantasy, and this is one of the better ones I've had the pleasure of reading. Look forward to hearing more from you. :)

Bregje (B a Reader) (b-a-reader) I started the book yesterday. I was only planning to read two chapters, but somehow I ended up at page 70? Haha :) This is a really fast read and so easy to get into! I'm liking it so far. I love the fact that the story is set in a fantasy world based on Russia and the whole concept of the Fold sounds cool and I want to know more about it :)

message 7: by Lonna, Owlette (new)

Bregje (B reads Books) wrote: "I started the book yesterday. I was only planning to read two chapters, but somehow I ended up at page 70? Haha :) This is a really fast read and so easy to get into! I'm liking it so far. I love t..."

Hi Bregje, I was immediately sucked into the Grishaverse, too! The pacing isn't neck-breaking, but it's fast enough that I'm always entertained. Ha ha. The setting is brutally harsh and yet beautiful at the same time. Glad you could join us! Please keep your thoughts coming.

message 8: by Olivia-Savannah , Mother Owl (new)

Olivia-Savannah  Roach (olivia_catastrophe) | 106 comments Mod
I've read a few pages. In the beginning I found it hard to really like Alina. I feel like she complained a lot about her situation? It makes sense because she doesn't sleep well but it bothered me about her character at first.

I also really love the Darkling like I always have done. I've always shipped him and Alina. (Or me and the Darkling to be fair)

message 9: by Lonna, Owlette (new)

It's so nice to see the reviews rolling in and it's not even mid-month!! How is everyone doing? Is there anything I can help you with to aid in this month's reading? Holler! I'm here for ya. :)

Bregje (B a Reader) (b-a-reader) After a while I'm finding the classes a little less interesting, but I'm extremely intrigued by the Darkling. I can't help but feel he is hiding something...

message 11: by Lonna, Owlette (new)

Bregje (B reads Books) wrote: "After a while I'm finding the classes a little less interesting, but I'm extremely intrigued by the Darkling. I can't help but feel he is hiding something..."

Ever the enigmatic villain, the Darkling is one of the best book baddies. Does calling him a baddie automatically make him un-bad? :D

message 12: by Poonam (new)

Poonam I really enjoyed reading about the Darkling (view spoiler)

message 13: by Olivia-Savannah , Mother Owl (new)

I agree with Poonam and what she said! Also, Alina has grown on me. I especially love the way she handles being thrown into this completely new situation and distanced from all of her friends. She just keeps pushing on and now I really do admire that about her.

But yes, the powers and classes in that sense aren't the main focus as I thought they might have been.

message 14: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Scofield Sorry all, not my favorite. . . I'm sure I'll catch some flak for my review, but I stand by it. This is the breakdown of the books we've read so far and the grades I'm giving them.

All The Bright Places: GRADE: A
I Am Malala: GRADE: B+
Clockwork Angel: GRADE: C+
Shadow and Bone: GRADE: C-

message 15: by Lonna, Owlette (new)

Jeff wrote: "Sorry all, not my favorite. . . I'm sure I'll catch some flak for my review, but I stand by it. This is the breakdown of the books we've read so far and the grades I'm giving them.

All The Bright ..."

Oh no. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy it. All The Bright Places is a great book. =) I hope next month's Wolf by Wolf will start to look up. Though, it is another fantasy, it's also a great re-telling of one of the darkest times in our history.

Thank you for your comments, Jeff.

message 16: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wmaresca) Hi I was finally able to start the book and I am about 20% into it. I like it so far. (view spoiler)

message 17: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Scofield I still couldn't get a gauge on how old Alina really was in the book. There are times she is written like a little kid, others like a budding teenager, and others like a sheltered adult. Did I miss a part where her age was actually disclosed???

Bregje (B a Reader) (b-a-reader) Jeff wrote: "I still couldn't get a gauge on how old Alina really was in the book. There are times she is written like a little kid, others like a budding teenager, and others like a sheltered adult. Did I miss..."

I felt the same way, I was really confused about her age. She was in the army, so she probably isn't that young, but at the same time she seemed to be dealing with a lot of high school drama...

message 19: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wmaresca) Well I just finished the book (view spoiler)

message 20: by Lonna, Owlette (last edited May 18, 2016 09:37PM) (new)

Jeff wrote: "I still couldn't get a gauge on how old Alina really was in the book. There are times she is written like a little kid, others like a budding teenager, and others like a sheltered adult. Did I miss..."

Hi Jeff and Bregje, I wonder if it feels that way because Alina is introduced to readers as an orphan at the Duke's estate at the age of 8.

"A boy and a girl, the youngest here by quite a bit. Both around eight, we think." ~ Ana Kuya

In the main story, she is about 17. Her character doesn't know her own birthday. Also, the Darkling is "120. Give or take." (That's what he claims during a conversation with Alina.) Hope that helps. =)

message 21: by Lonna, Owlette (new)

Wendy wrote: "Well I just finished the book [spoilers removed]"

Hi Wendy, I'm so glad you liked this month's selection. You sound disappointed about the Darkling. I don't feel that he is evil. I feel he can be manipulative, but also misguided. I haven't read Siege and Storm, but I'm hoping that there's more to him. Bardugo writes wonderfully complex characters. Will you be reading the second installment?

message 22: by Olivia-Savannah , Mother Owl (new)

Wow this is such an interesting discussion! Mostly because I didn't even really think about her age at all while reading. I just assumed seeing as it is a YA that she would be between 16-18 but she never felt like a 16 year old so I was guessing around 17. But yeah, there are times she seems to vary between the ages in level of thinking and maturing.

Aww, so sorry you couldn't like this one Jeff :(

I'm was also sad when the Darkling turned out to be bad. I much preferred Alina and him to her and Mal to be honest xD But I agree with Lonna - I see him as more manipulative and twisted than really evil at the core.

message 23: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wmaresca) Lonna wrote: "Wendy wrote: "Well I just finished the book [spoilers removed]"

Hi Wendy, I'm so glad you liked this month's selection. You sound disappointed about the Darkling. I don't feel that he is evil. I f..."

Yes. I just had such hope that I don't know (view spoiler)