You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

The Redbreast (Harry Hole, #3)
This topic is about The Redbreast
Buddy Reads > The Redbreast by Jo Nesbø|

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Almeta (last edited Apr 22, 2016 01:04PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 9064 comments Dom and I are continuing the Harry Hole series. The Redbreast by Jo Nesbø is next up.

Anyone else ready to jump on board?

So how about May 15th?

Dominique  | 907 comments Good for me!

Cherie (crobins0) | 15982 comments I'm in. The book is quietly hanging out on my book shelf.

message 4: by Rusalka, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 14665 comments Me too!

message 5: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2514 comments I will have to acquire a copy, but I should be able to manage it by May 15th.

Cherie (crobins0) | 15982 comments I just checked. My paperback copy is the red cover with the white bird. It is waiting on the corner of my desk now.

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 9064 comments Couple more days. Everyone ready?

Cherie (crobins0) | 15982 comments Ready!

message 9: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2514 comments Ready!

message 10: by Rusalka, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 14665 comments Yes, sort of, not really. It's been pulled off my shelf in anticipation!!

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 9064 comments Rusalka wrote: "Yes, sort of, not really. It's been pulled off my shelf in anticipation!!"

lol Is it trembling?

message 12: by Rusalka, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 14665 comments I'd say quivering ;)

message 13: by Almeta (last edited Jun 14, 2016 01:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 9064 comments The Redbreast
Jo Nesbø

PART ONE Earth to Earth
Chapter 1 - 8
Harry is(view spoiler)

There appears to be three plots here:
Harry and Ellen in motorcade nov 1999 - (view spoiler)
Sverre Olsen and Johan Krohn Jr. and Herman Groth at trial Oct 1999 - (view spoiler)
Old Chap Oct 1999 - (view spoiler)

PART TWO Genesis
Chapters 9-22
What did Daniel do (view spoiler)

I assumed that Daniel (view spoiler)

Why would Daniel's (view spoiler)

Not surprised that Harry (view spoiler)

I wonder if Harry would ever (view spoiler)

What's the "Old Man" up to? (view spoiler)

PART THREE Uriah
Chapters 23 - 34 Avoiding (view spoiler)

PART FOUR Purgatory
Chapter 35 - 51 Uriah, Daniel, Old Chap, (view spoiler)

Sindre Fauke makes a pretty good (view spoiler)

I should have known Ellen (view spoiler)

I wonder if Helena ever (view spoiler)

PART FIVE Seven Days
Chapter 52 - 58
I was right! (view spoiler)

PART SIX Bathsheba
Chapter 59 - 73
Brent Brandhaug and (view spoiler)

Having a identity Crisis! (view spoiler)

Short chapters. Moves along quickly.

PART SEVEN Black Cloak
Chapter 74 - 84
Sooo, I thought (view spoiler)

PART EIGHT Revelation
Chapter 85 - 93

PART NINE Judgment Day
Chapter 94 -
PART TEN The Resurrection

Cherie (crobins0) | 15982 comments I just finished Earth to Earth 1-8. It was hard to take it all in. All I can think of is - what just happened? (view spoiler)

Next Part Two Genesis

Dominique  | 907 comments L'm starting it today!

message 16: by Almeta (last edited May 16, 2016 01:27PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 9064 comments Cherie wrote: "I just finished Earth to Earth 1-8. It was hard to take it all in. All I can think of is - what just happened? ....What's with the (view spoiler)

message 17: by Cherie (last edited May 16, 2016 07:14PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cherie (crobins0) | 15982 comments Part Two Genesis - Chapters 9-22 - goes fast, huh?

I finally had a chance to read your spoilers, Almeta. I had all of the same questions as you are indicating in your spoilers from message 13. I re-read parts of this section over and over and still do not get what happened to the guy with the shovel, nor to the dead guys and what happened. I think this is where we just get to go on with the story and see what happens.

Yes, we even had the same questions about Harry, but I did not comment on his being sober or not. After I read this section, I finally broke down and read the story summary. This is the 2nd buddy read that I sat down to read the book for and had no idea what the story line was supposed to be about. Normally, it does not bother me, but this book started off so different than the other two - don't you think? The Norwegian names kill me too. I cannot remember who they are. (view spoiler)

re - the Old Guy (view spoiler)

re - Harry's boss (view spoiler)

Wow - you are really cranking along! I just cannot go that fast, but I am reading two books too, since I finished the 3rd.

Cherie (crobins0) | 15982 comments I only made it half way through the Uriah section tonight. (view spoiler)

Cherie (crobins0) | 15982 comments I finished the Uriah section last night and started Purgatory ho hum...
until Chapter 50. OK. I was seriously thinking to tell you I was going to quit reading this book. Not now! I'm on page 276. "Ellen"...back later!

message 20: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2514 comments I seem to have given up on this book rather early. I read the first three chapters. I hated the jumping around in time thing (particularly starting with something dramatic, leaving it unfinished, and jumping back). The second chapter I spent the whole time trying to get the names straight. But what really did me in was Chapter 3, and it wasn't the book's fault. I had just found out a few days earlier that a good friend has Stage 4 pancreatic cancer, and reading about the dying man was just too much. I think this just isn't the book for me, at least not right now. I hope those of you still reading enjoy it. It sounds like Cherie is hooked.

Cherie (crobins0) | 15982 comments I finally got a chance to read your spoiler from Uriah, Almeta. I thought the same thing about the Doctor and his father.

Purgatory (view spoiler)

Cherie (crobins0) | 15982 comments Sometimes it is worth abandoning a book, especially when real life is too much to bare, Casceil. Sorry about your friend.

I was really abour ready to jump ship on this. 250 pages is a lot of "setting the stage". I think the ice has broken now though!

Cherie (crobins0) | 15982 comments Re Part Five Seven Days (view spoiler)

Starting Bathsheba

Cherie (crobins0) | 15982 comments I'm on Chapter 84 in Black Cloak.
(view spoiler)

Cherie (crobins0) | 15982 comments Chapter 89 in Part 8 The Revelation (view spoiler)

Cherie (crobins0) | 15982 comments I finished late last night. I was wrong about the killer. I might hate Joe Nesbo now. I'm still thinking about it.

message 27: by Rusalka, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 14665 comments I started this the other day and about 100pp in. I'm really enjoying it. I don't mind the time jumpy stuff (although have had to check dates once or twice) that others have had. I'm really interested in the multiple time lines and storylines. Off to read some spoilers now.

Dominique  | 907 comments L'm starting part 8

Cherie (crobins0) | 15982 comments I did not mind the time jumps. I had more trouble trying to figure out what was going on. I had no idea about the Norwegian part in WWII. I always thought that they were neutral, like the Swiss. Undoubtedly, I was wrong.

I have been thinking about the story and the language. I know this is translated. I like the way things sound, like car park, and jumper. I smile when they show up. The street names are facinating. The character's names are hard. I spend half of the time trying to figure out how to pronounce them.

message 30: by Rusalka, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 14665 comments Oh, it's a British translator. I didn't even notice!

It's same translator I had issues with for The Bat. But in this one and in Cockroaches it's fine as it's not my culture.

Cherie (crobins0) | 15982 comments Almeta wrote "Having a identity Crisis! (view spoiler)" (view spoiler)

Cherie (crobins0) | 15982 comments Almeta wrote: "Cherie wrote: "I just finished Earth to Earth 1-8. It was hard to take it all in. All I can think of is - what just happened? ....What's with the "seventy-five seconds" line?

I don't know, I've re..."

The time thing never was explained although it did show up again. I think it was just something about that creepy Brent guy.

message 33: by Cherie (last edited May 25, 2016 07:27PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cherie (crobins0) | 15982 comments Rusalka wrote: "Oh, it's a British translator. I didn't even notice!

It's same translator I had issues with for The Bat. But in this one and in Cockroaches it's fine as it's not my..."

Now I want to know if the Norwegians call them jumpers or sweaters, hahaha. Is a car park a parking lot, or a drive way?

Amy once pointed out to me that "we park in our drive way, but we drive in a parking lot." She had been reading the road signs as we were driving along and she started spouting all of the oxy-moron things we say like this. She had me laughing so hard I almost drove off of the road.

message 34: by Rusalka, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 14665 comments Cherie wrote: " Is a car park a parking lot, or a drive way?."

What? It's a parking lot! A driveway is a driveway. Not to be confused with a parkway which is a highway.

message 35: by Rusalka, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 14665 comments And they call them "genser" ;)

message 36: by Rusalka, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 14665 comments So I had a great reading session tonight (before my boss interrupted me and made me come sit over with her at the Tara Moss event). I was so immersed, I jumped a foot in the air when I got tapped on the shoulder.

I'm in the middle of the Uriah section.

So history clear up. Norwegians were fighting with the Germans. They were both fighting against the Russians. The Russians I believe were backed by the allies, so the Aussies and Dutch were with them? It does all get a bit confusing, particularly with European countries which were independent, then occupied, then not, then again (sometimes by someone else).

Re: old Norwegian man (view spoiler)

I'm really liking the far right thing at the moment. I mean Austria narrowly missed electing a far right president last week (wtf?!? I mean, it's not like they've had personal experience with that in the last 75 years or anything). Looking at the Aussie and US elections this year, I'm worried. We had a huge protest by the far right here last weekend. I think this book is dealing with issues, even though it's dealing with issues from 15 years ago in Norway, that are just as important. I mean Brevik shows how long this has been brewing in Norway, let alone in other countries.

Harry makes me laugh. He's always pushing buttons. And it amuses me greatly at the moment he's just doing that by doing his job well. And it's annoying everyone, as when he's engaged, he's better than everyone else.

Cherie (crobins0) | 15982 comments I agree, Rusalka. Harry pushes buttons even when he does not mean to.

message 38: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Jun 04, 2016 01:13AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 14665 comments I just read through Purgatory and Seven Days. (view spoiler)

The old guys (view spoiler)

Cherie, you make me laugh with your comments about names. You do remember it's a Norwegian book, right? :P

Just started Bathsheba (view spoiler)

Dominique  | 907 comments Are we reading the next one in July?

Cherie (crobins0) | 15982 comments I'm up for it!

Dominique  | 907 comments Anybody else is ok for July?

message 42: by Rusalka, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 14665 comments I can't source the book at the moment, so I will be out for this one. Be watching what you guys think though!

message 43: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 16438 comments Dominique (Dom) wrote: "Anybody else is ok for July?"

You might need to wait a few days for replies as everyone is mid toppler and possibly not paying attention to other threads. I know not many people have suggested books for the July group reads yet. I had hoped to read the next one of ith you guys but i don't think I'd be ready for it in July. Maybe.

Dominique  | 907 comments Sarah wrote: "Dominique (Dom) wrote: "Anybody else is ok for July?"

You might need to wait a few days for replies as everyone is mid toppler and possibly not paying attention to other threads. I know not many p..."

Ok no problem, l'm ok if we readi it in August.

You'll love this one...!! A book club & more

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Redbreast (other topics)
The Bat (other topics)
Cockroaches (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jo Nesbø (other topics)