SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

All Book Discussions > MishMash Challenge 2014: Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 97 (97 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lauren (last edited May 30, 2014 03:46AM) (new)

Lauren Smith The MishMash Challenge made up of the collective input of our members.

How it works:

Every week from now until 1 June each person will be allowed to nominate 1 task that will be included in the challenge. If we need more we will allow additional nominations until we have a total of 30 tasks.

Still a little confused? Take a look at the previous challenges for ideas. You may nominate the same or similar tasks if you want.

Rules and Guidelines:
* A task can only involve reading 1 book. So, for example, "Read a trilogy" is not a valid task.
* No task should force members to read any specific book, author, or genre. So no tasks like "Read a romance novel" or "Read a book from the Discworld series".
* Make your task do-able for everyone. Tasks that require members to buy expensive new books or obscure titles will not be allowed. The same goes for tasks that, for example, require an author with the same name as you, or a character who lives in the same city as you. This is easy for some and impossible for others, so be considerate.
* Books must be at least 150 pages of text long to count for the challenge, so don't nominate tasks that require shorter books, like graphic novels.

The challenge starts on 1 June, and last for one year.

Have fun!

Tasks so far:
1. Read a book with a species of animal in the title. The species has to be a real still living species. So anything from cats to elephants. No dodo's, dinosaurs or dragons.
2. Read a book where the title and the author's name both start with the same letter, eg: From Russia with love by Ian Flemming
3. Lest we forget, read a book in which The First World War (1914 - 1918) is an important element of the book. The book does not have to take place during the war, but It must be important to the storyline.
4. Read a book you wouldn't have normally read. It can be a book someone suggested, a book someone gave you and swears it is the best thing ever, or even a book that an author asked your to read and review. (Not something you requested, bought on a whim, etc.)
5. Read a book set in a house that is believed or known to be haunted.
6. Read a book with a gendered word or name in the title that is opposite to the gender of the author e.g. The Iron King by Julie Kagawa / Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien.
7. Read a book by an author who has more than 200 individual publications. The total number can include published short stories but the book used for the challenge must meet the 150 page rule. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_... for some ideas
8. Read a book that has a word in the title that means forever. So forever is allowed but also eternity, always, till the end of time etc.
9. Read a book that is a follow-on from a previous book, but written by a different author.
10. Read a book that was turned into a comic book or graphic novel OR a book that is part of a series that was turned into a comic book or graphic novel.
11. Read a book by an author who has published for 40 or more years, so the time elapsed between date of first publication of their first book and date of first publication of their most recent book must be 40 or more years.
12. Read a book with a title that begins and ends with the same letter. 'The', 'a' and 'an' do count this time. So if your book starts with 'the', your last letter has to be a t.
13. Read a book that has fire on the cover.
14. Read a book that has been nominated for or won an award for Best Debut Novel in the last five years (2010-2014)
15. Read a book that you do not own at the start of the challenge. It can be one that you acquire (buy or get given) or that you borrow.
16. Read a book that involves a conspiracy or an urban legend.
17. In June it will be 50 years since the conclusion of the Rivonia Trial. Read a book that features one the cast of characters of the trial or that deals with South African politics in general.
18. Read a book that was made into a TV series or movie or contains a character that appears in a TV series or movie e.g Pride and Prejudice or the Rizzoli and Isles series from Tess Gerritsen.
19. Read a book with a word in the title that denotes a day or time of day (but not the word "day" itself) e.g., midnight, 24 hours, noon.
20. Read a book that can be associated with a character from Cluedo (Miss Scarlett, Colonel Mustard, Mrs White, Reverend Green, Mrs Peacock (blue), Professor Plum). This can include colours/images used on the cover, words in the title or subject matter of the book.
21. Read a book by an author that you have previously read (and enjoyed), but have not read in the past two years.
22. Read a book with a female soldier/warrior as a main character.
23. Read a book that has a colon in the title. Eg. Neptune Noir: Unauthorized Investigations into Veronica Mars or Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail by Succeed
24. Read a collection of short stories or an anthology / omnibus edition. The stories do not need to be all by the same author.
25. Read the latest in a series which has more than 4 books so far. It is not required that you have read any of the previous books in the series.
26. Read a book that was translated from another language or translated to another language.
27. Read a book that deals with a real fear. So anything from fear of water or flying to fear of spiders.
28. Read a book that has someone on the cover who is wearing a hat
29. Judge a book by its cover. Read a book with a cover that you really love.
30. Read a book in which motherhood plays a big part.

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 4434 comments Mod
1) Read a book with a species of animal in the title. The species has to be a real still living species. So anything from cats to elephants. No dodo's, dinosaurs or dragons.

message 3: by Jennifer (last edited May 04, 2014 08:25AM) (new)

Jennifer (jevine) | 770 comments Read a book where the title and the author's name both start with the same letter, eg: From Russia with love by Ian Flemming

message 4: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) | 2256 comments Mod
3 Lest we forget, read a book in which The First World War (1914 - 1918) is an important element of the book. The book does not have to take place during the war, but It must be important to the storyline.

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Funny you should nominate that task with that war. In the Netherlands today is a day to remember WWII. And at exactly 8 o'clock (so in 16 minutes) the whole country will be silent to remember those who have fallen to fight for our freedom.

message 6: by Carolien (new)

That's so lovely. I was thinking the other day when I was reading Code Name Verity that you are probably much closer than any of us down here to the events in the book.

message 7: by Barbara (last edited May 04, 2014 12:32PM) (new)

Yeah. What is even lovelier that tomorrow the whole country celebrates it's freedom and there are all kinds of musical festivals throughout the country.

My mother was born in '49 and my father on 29 March of '45 (liberation happened in May) so neither really experienced the war, but I have heard stories from my grandparents on my father's side who did a lot in the war. They weren't official members of the resistance but did everything they could to thwart the Germans. And I heard stories about my great-aunt who never talked about her experiences but she was a member of the resistance and couldn't have children because of a beating she got from the Germans. The details I will spare you because they are pretty gruesome.
On my mum's side a lot is unclear. We just know that her parents moved around a lot during and after the war and that when her father died they found dozens of identification papers from during the war with all different names on them but all had my grandfather's picture.
And in daily life there are a lot of things that make you remember and make us still deal with the aftermath. Like only a couple of weeks ago they detonated a couple of bombs just a few miles from where I live that were found that were dropped during the war and hadn't detonated. They had been lying there all this time.
But also WWI is still remembered, not so much as WWII but there are signs.
If you're interested The Assault is a book by Harry Mulisch a Dutch author (born in my home town) and the story takes place in part in Haarlem, my home town. The book was also made into a movie that won the Oscar for best foreign movie.

message 8: by Carolien (new)

My parents were born at the same time and I don't think my grandparents were that involved. I read The Walls Came Tumbling Down a few years ago and was in awe of the hardships they endured at the end of the war. They were captured Dutch resistance fighters who escaped at the end of the war and the book details the story how they returned to a Holland. I'll find The Assault, would love to read it.

message 9: by Barbara (last edited May 04, 2014 01:10PM) (new)

It's an interesting book about choices people make and things they hide from one another in times of war. For me it is has an extra dimension because I know so many places in the book.
I will check out The walls came tumbling down. Sounds interesting.

That is one of the things my grandparents did. During that last winter there was a lot of famine, but the managed to steal a lot of food stamps and food from the Germans. They had a hidden cellar where they would keep stuff and their house was searched on a regular basis. But still they took that risk and managed to get through even though for some time my grandfather was in a hospital with TB.
An extra risk is that we have gypsy blood in our veins. Ok it is two centuries old but it is there. If the Germans had found out they would have deported our family and gassed them and I would never have been born. It gives me a weird feeling when I think about that.

message 10: by Carolien (new)

That's fascinating! I didn't realize the Germans went that far back in history to decide whether you should be exterminated or not. I read and loved Number the Stars last year which involves the Danish resistance. When we were in Copenhagen in 2010 I visited the museum dedicated to the Resistance. What amused me was an example of one of those old radio sets. The British SOE arrived with some that were big and bulky, it took he Danes about 2 months to redesign them to be sleek and beautiful like all things of Danish design!

message 11: by Barbara (new)

They didn't do the research but if it was known that somewhere in your history there was a Jewish or Gypsy ancestor and it was known where and how as it is in our case they would deport and gas you, because you were contaminated and un-pure.

It is fascinating to see how and with what means the different resistance groups carried out that resistance. It is amazing!

message 12: by Carolien (new)

I sometimes wonder if our generation would be able to match their efforts. We have much better technology, but I wonder if we have the same fortitude.

message 13: by Barbara (new)

Let's hope that we are never in the sort of situation where we have to find out!

message 14: by Carolien (new)

We have completely side tracked Lauren's nominations thread! When you see something like Ukraine, one worries about what is still possible in this world.

message 15: by Barbara (new)

Sometimes that happens as long as it follows naturally from what was being said when we were on topic it isn't that bad.
Sometimes it seems as if we haven't learned anything. But then I have never understood why people hate other people.

message 16: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
4. Read a book you wouldn't have normally read. It can be a book someone suggested, a book someone gave you and swears it is the best thing ever, or even a book that an author asked your to read and review. (Not something you requested, bought on a whim, etc.)

message 17: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith It's week 2! I can't believe I haven't nominated something yet, but anyway, everyone gets to nominate another task.

message 18: by Lauren (last edited May 08, 2014 04:41AM) (new)

Lauren Smith 5. Read a book set in a house that is believed or known to be haunted.

message 19: by Janice (new)

Janice | 1820 comments Mod
6. Read a book with a gender word in the title that is opposite to the gender of the author e.g. The Iron King by Julie Kagawa / Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien.

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jevine) | 770 comments Read a book by an author who has more than 200 individual books published. The total number of published books by the author can include published short stories but the book used for the challenge must meet the 150 page rule. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_... for some ideas

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Would it be more accurate to say "more than 200 individual publications"? "Books" is a bit confusing.

message 22: by Barbara (new)

8. Read a book that has a word in the title that means forever. So forever is allowed but also eternity, always, till the end of time etc.

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jevine) | 770 comments Hi Lauren

We could change it to publications or titles rather than books as that would incorporate the short stories better

message 24: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Cool, thanks Jennifer :)

message 25: by Varla Fiona (new)

Varla Fiona (dory_42) | 1332 comments Mod
Read a book that is a follow on from a previous book, but written by a different author.

message 26: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
10. Read a book that was turned into a comic book or graphic novel OR a book that is part of a series that was turned into a comic book or graphic novel

message 27: by Carolien (new)

11 Read a book by an author who has published for 40 or more years, so the time elapsed between date of first publication of their first book and date of first publication of their most recent book must be 40 or more years.

message 28: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Varla Fiona wrote: "Read a book that is a follow on from a previous book, but written by a different author."

I'm glad I didn't do last year's version of this task; there weren't many options that I wanted to read so I still have a good choice!

message 29: by Carolien (last edited May 13, 2014 10:49AM) (new)

Lauren wrote: "Varla Fiona wrote: "Read a book that is a follow on from a previous book, but written by a different author."

I'm glad I didn't do last year's version of this task; there weren't many options that..."

I'm now going to have to get around to re-reading Rebecca and then one of the sequels. I found an easier option this year, but I'll have to give in and do this one.

So if anybody can think of a nice task where I can fit in Rebecca, that will be really helpful!

message 30: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith You can always nominate a task that fits it when the nominations start again on Thursday :)

message 31: by Carolien (new)

Will have to do something about it. Congratulations on your book cover reveal on your blog! I love Zoo City by Lauren Beukes 's cover and now I have to add more books to the TBR list!

message 32: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith The Dark Windows cover reveal? Thanks :) I was quite chuffed when Louis asked me to do it, and Joey Hi-Fi has such amazing covers. He's done interviews for several of them, if you want to read more about the designs. Just google "Joey Hi-Fi cover reveal interview" or something. The Zoo City one is particularly good, and he did a matching one for Moxyland.

message 33: by Carolien (new)

Lauren wrote: "The Dark Windows cover reveal? Thanks :) I was quite chuffed when Louis asked me to do it, and Joey Hi-Fi has such amazing covers. He's done interviews for several of them, if you want to read more..."

I'm definitely going to do that. Moxyland is still on the TRB list. And I can use task 5 above for Rebecca since it is one of the all time haunted house books!

message 34: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Cool, glad that worked out :)

message 35: by Carolien (new)

Wish the rest of the TBR pile would slot in so nicely :)

message 36: by Lauren (last edited May 13, 2014 12:14PM) (new)

Lauren Smith I've been fairly lucky so far - I've got something for almost everything - but I'm just waiting for that one really difficult task that I know I'm probably never going to complete.

message 37: by Carolien (new)

On the Google search your article is number 3 and since Umazi also refer to it in their press release on number 4, that's great.

message 38: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith :D

message 39: by Carolien (new)

I have the same book on this planning list that I have been meaning to read for the 2012 and 2013 challenges, this has to be the year for The Hare With Amber Eyes: A Family's Century of Art and Loss. I'm starting to feel guilty that the poor book will develop some kind of complex that I don't want to read it.

There is always one task...

message 40: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Lol, well you can use that for Barbara's task with an animal in the title.

I'm actually a bit daunted by your WW1 task. I've got something - Regeneration by Pat Barker, which is highly acclaimed - but it's not something I would normally read, so I may get lazy about it.

I was a teeny bit worried about the 40+ years of publishing task, but then I remembered a Joyce Carol Oates book I have to review, which I then learned fits perfectly in a Game of Thrones task I was struggling with, so very pleased with that.

message 41: by Carolien (new)

Once you start checking, there are a lot of authors that qualify for 40 years. You could probably read The Long Earth for the WWI task if you haven't read it yet. I'm considering A Very Long Engagement, otherwise I'll end up with a non-fiction read for that one.

When I saw the eternity task, I was stumped. However, I have so far found 4 books in the house that qualifies, so I think I'm sorted for that one as well.

message 42: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Oh cool, thanks! I've got a copy of The Long Earth :)

I didn't think it'd be too hard finding an author for the 40-years task, but it's always nice when I can fit one of my review copies in. It just makes scheduling easier.

I didn't know A Very Long Engagement was a book. I like the movie, although I thought it was very sad.

I don't have anything for the eternity task yet, but it doesn't 'feel' too difficult to me. I'm sure I'll get something for it fairly easily.

message 43: by Carolien (new)

If you haven't read it yet, we can do a buddy read on Long Earth. I want to use it for one of the Know your Author challenge tasks.

message 44: by Barbara (new)

If there is going to be a buddy read for the Long Earth I would join in. Have wanted to read the book for some time now and just haven't gotten around to it. So this might be what I need to read the book!

message 45: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I'm definitely up for that :) I just did two rather good buddy reads, so keen to do more. Unfortunately I left my copy of The Long Earth in Cape Town, but if Lu can bring it to me next month, I can get my mom to post it to her. That way I can start any time after 15 June.

message 46: by Barbara (new)

Ok I will order mine ad I will have it within a couple of weeks depending on Bookdepository. I hope the book will be better than our last buddy read. :)

message 47: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Lol, yeah :) Luckily the one I did after (Life After LIfe by Kate Atkinson) was a very nice book.

message 48: by Barbara (new)

Oh good! But the discussion was very good so that made up for it!

message 49: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Yeah, that's the most important part of a buddy read - a good conversation :)

message 50: by Carolien (new)

Ok, we can do this in July or August, that should give everybody time to find the book. I want to use it for task 9 in the Know your Author challenge as well.

« previous 1