At Home in Mitford (Mitford Years, #1) At Home in Mitford question

E-book price - Am I cheap?
Laura Laura May 03, 2014 09:47PM
This is not just about the Mitford series, but I had to link this discussion to a book... I enjoyed reading At Home in Mitford on my Kindle, but when I went to get the rest of the series, they were $10 or more each. I walked away.

It made me wonder how others feel about eBook pricing.

What do you think is reasonable for an eBook (fiction)? Have you found a connection between price and quality?

I am just not willing to pay $10 for fiction. Especially if the author is new to me. Even if I was willing, considering I read several books a month, I don't feel I can afford that much.

However, I have definitely felt "you get what you pay for" with a high percentage of the free and cheap ($3 or less) e-books. With the exception of classics that are probably cheap 'cause they've been around so long, almost all the free or inexpensive kindle books I've gotten I didn't think were very good, even though their reviews compared to the more expensive ones.

I'm curious what others think.

Another thought - with paperbacks I can thumb through it for a really good feel of the writing before purchasing so I'm more willing to risk $8 - 10 on a new author, whereas with e-books, even if they have some excerpts it still feels risky.

The Overdrive app is awesome. I'm fortunate to be in an area that has an exceptional library system, too. It saves a lot of money, especially if audiobooks are your thing.

I agree- given that you have nothing to share or donate later. My library offers a lending service for ebooks. I generally use that.

Hi Laura!

I tend to be the same way and lean toward indie authors, but I have found some exceptional books out there for $.99. Alyssa Kress comes to mind, specifically Asking For It and The Indiscreet Ladies of Green Ivy Way...assuming Romance is a genre you enjoy.

The most I've spent for an ebook was $7.99, but that's rare for me. I never buy before downloading a sample and checking reviews unless it is an author I'm familiar with. Amazon has a return policy on some ebooks, but you must read them within 7 days, etc. Check their help section for details, I've never used it since I'm on a Barnes and Noble Nook instead of Kindle.

I would say on average I spend $4 - $5 (usually less). Since buying my Nook, I'm able to watch for sales and was able to pick up The Winter Witch for a song. Loved it, by the way. There are also websites that can help, like The Fussy Librarian (I think they require 4 stars) and BookBub. I've still been burned and probably will be in the future.

There is always a risk, but the reviews, especially the bad ones, can be a good indicator of preference. I hope this helps!

Good luck and happy reading!