FINDING AUDREY READ-ALONG discussion

Attachments
This topic is about Attachments
Attachments > Chapters 1-30 (Up to page 115)

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Booksplosion | 15 comments Mod
You've hit the first section mark, what are you thoughts so far?! What do you think is going to happen next?

Bookworm | 31 comments I started reading this book in a severe anti-contemporary mood. While reading the first few chapters, I didn't enjoy this book at all. I couldn't connect with the characters, and I didn't feel engaged in the story.
But after I got past those first chapters, the story totally grew on me. I love Beth and Jennifer, they are both so funny! I must say, I liked the conversations between them a lot better than the chapters about Lincoln. One of my favorite scenes has to be the one where Jennifer bought those baby clothes. I was literally laughing out loud, haha.
So far, I'm loving this book. I can't wait to continue on with the story and find out what happens next. :)

Alison Rolof | 6 comments This story is just so freaking cute. I would seriously start reading adult contemporary novels if they were all this clever and fun. I have no idea what's going to happen next, but that's what makes the story so good. I don't have to spend my time guessing about where the plot will take me, I'm just sort of enjoying the ride.

Also, I'm really surprised at how well-developed Beth and Jennifer are as characters, even though we only know them through their email exchanges. They're super likable and witty. Rowell is great at portraying realistic characters.

E.J. (hauntedburgerplant) (hauntedburgerplant) I don't have much to say so far. I still don't know how I feel about Attachments. This usually happens when I read a Rainbow Rowell book -- I don't know how I feel until I read the last page and give myself time to think it over. I guess it's a good thing. At least it means her stories aren't predictable. :)

I can't even imagine what will happen next. And I don't know whether I want Lincoln to see Beth or not. And I don't know whether I want Jennifer to be pregnant or not. I'm interested to see what Rainbow does in the following chapters.

Elizabeth (elizabethres) | 3 comments Well, at the beginning the chapters were quite hard for me to read through for some reason, but when I was, like, 15 chapters in it got immensely better. Love the characters and their relationships so far. I like reading Beth and Jennifer's emails as much as I like Lincoln's thoughts and stories. So far my favourite moments in the book have been with Beth telling Jennifer how she met Chris, and Lincoln thinking about Sam. Their scenes in general are very different, in my opinion. Jennifer and Beth show themselves as very energetic women, though still having their problems in life, while Lincoln's chapters practically always have this tone of sadness.
Speaking about the plot, I have no idea in what direction the story may go from this point, but I guess it won't take long for Lincoln to realize his feelings for Beth, and I really want to see what will happen if or when they actually meet each other.

message 6: by Liv (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liv (oliviareadstoomuch) Reading it the second time around has been so much fun. I love Beth and Jennifer and I especially love Lincoln. My favorite part so far has got to be the "cute guy" alarm part because it was hilarious. Beth and Jennifer just seem like real people and I love that. I also love the format, how it actually looks like emails or maybe instant messaging. Perfection.

Alysyn Reinhardt (alysyn_hardt) | 4 comments After reading all that I think there's one major thing I really need to discuss.
Am I the only one who kind of finds Tom Cruise attractive....

Bailey | 9 comments It took me a couple chapters to fully get into the book, but so far I am really enjoying it. I like Beth and Jennifer a lot, and Lincoln seems wonderfully awkward. I really don't have any predictions about where the book will go from here. It feels like anything could happen. I would love it if Lincoln was the "cute employee" that Beth has seen around the office a few times.

Elena Boteva (lenahbkp) | 4 comments so far I really like Attachments. it's been a while since I've read a book I haven't been able to put down. Like, I literally haven't been able to put it down since I started reading it several hours ago, but sadly sleep beckons...
Also, I think that if Jennifer ends up being pregnant, she'll realize she's actually wanted that all along. And I think it would be awesome if Beth and Lincoln meet by chance, since neither of them knows what the other looks like, it's very possible.
I also really like story and the developments. Every once in a while it makes me think of some of John Green's books, and Lincoln sadness kind of makes me think of Charlie (from Perks).
And I keep thinking maybe something horrible happened to Sam. I wonder if they just broke up, or if it was something much worse...
In any case, I'm definitely looking forward to reading the rest of the story, wherever it might take us :-)

Cherry (foureyesorbooks) | 1 comments So I live in England where I can't find the nice hard cover Attachments with the office chairs and the paper clip thing on the front and IT BUGS ME SO MUCH!! The only thing they have in bookstores or on amazon is like a paperback with three multicoloured stripes on the front and I'm like nooooooo. So does anyone know somewhere i can get the American edition???

message 11: by Andres (new)

Andres Duque | 1 comments the writing is good overall but the story is kind of boring which is something that has made this book very difficult to read however i haven't read enough of it to say its bad.

Kathleen Aton (bookishkath) | 3 comments Idk what to feel just yet. I can't really connect with the characters and have a hard time picturing Lincoln to be completely honest. Lincoln seems adorable when we do flashbacks to his "Sam Days", but seems kinda of awkward and sometimes pathetic in his current state. I just kinda want to meet Beth and Jen soon haha
So far it's okay. I've laughed a few times, so Good Job Rainbow.

Abbey Rosete (abbeyrosete) | 4 comments I'm close to a 100 pages already and I'm really starting to like the characters. I think the dialogue is the one that kept me reading. I really like rainbow rowel's writing style and I hope I can finish half or more of the book tonight. I'm really curious as to where the story is going.

Kassey (kclynne) | 18 comments I AM.LOVING THIS BOOK! I love Beth so much, Jennifer kind of annoys me sometimes. Lincoln relationship with his sister is so real. My favorite part HAS to be Beth and Chris's love story that had me smiling ear to ear. I also like reading about Sam and Lincoln, I wanna know why they broke up but I have the feeling it was because he was feelig too much. The pop culture references are amazing. (btw I do think Tom Cruise is attractive) Can we talk about Lincoln mom thinking he was gay? hahaha.
I definitely enjoy the email chapters more than Lincoln narration.
These characters are beyond witty and funny I love them.

Paige | 2 comments Ok, so this is my first Rainbow Rowell book and it's non-YA...so, in theory, the Roo-rah-roo-rah Beth alarm should be going off in my head and telling me I shouldn't fall in love with this book, but I've honestly fallen head over heels! I love the back and forth between Beth and Jennifer, and almost every interaction Lincoln has with his mother. Honestly, one of my favourite parts so far is the whole Jesus scenario with Lincoln's nephews; I cracked up laughing! Can't wait to see where this book will go with its painfully awkward, realistic depiction of crushing on the person who doesn't even know you exist. Even though it was a bit slower in parts than some of my usual YA, I still read the first 30 chapters in only a few hours :)

Laura I love Rainbow Rowell's wit. She is a wonderful storyteller, and I'm loving this so far. I love the email chapters, but at the same time no one writes (or wrote) emails like that. I sort of wish there were just a few random other emails (work related or the typical forward email spam).

Having lived through the big Y2K dramz I love the setting for this book too. Anyone else miss the 90s?

Ryoku Light | 14 comments This is my first Rainbow Rowell book and I was so excited to start reading it. I just started today and I had to force myself to stop so I could write my opinions out. I love the story it is very easy to read. I am in love with the characters and relationships I think that they are very realistic. My favorite parts so far are the Roo-rah-roo-rahh cute guy alarm was quirky, the story of how Beth and Chris first got together and the little bit on how Lincoln's mom thought he was gay. I am so excited to pick this book up again like right after i press the post button so yeah lol bye

chloe This is my second Rainbow Rowell book and I'm loving it! At first I was a bit unsure about how I would like it because I don't usually read adult contemporary. But I'm actually really enjoying this. The emails between Beth and Jennifer are so funny. Lincoln is also a great character, but I'd have to say I think I prefer Beth and Jennifer's emails to his chapters. Although I do still enjoy reading from his POV. I can't wait to see what happens next. Anyone else thinking the cute guy Beth was talking about is Lincoln?

message 19: by M (new) - rated it 4 stars

M Mallon (kyrosmagica) | 10 comments Lincoln's guilt about snooping into the emails is touching. He is falling in love with Beth yet he hasn't met her yet. His mother thinking he's gay made me laugh.
Interesting POV device using Beth and Jennifer's emails and then his story via his relationship with family and friends. Thought the dungeons and dragons reference was funny (my brother used to do this as a teenager!) His longing for love is touching. Hope it works out for him!

Syeda Umar I haven't read any Rainbow Rowell books before. I like the story so far. I love the dialogue between Beth and Jennifer. The story kind of slow, but i still find it interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing if Lincoln's character develops.

message 21: by Mari (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mari (mari_ana_) | 12 comments It started slow for me too but now it's getting interessting I'm curious about Lincoln past and about what happened with Sam.

I hope there will be more about Chris he seems quite interesting.

Trista (islandgeekgirl) | 10 comments It took me a few chapters to really get into it but now I'm not wanting to put it down. I find Lincoln and his 'no idea what to do with life' relatable and Beth and Jennifer's e-mail exchanges are hilarious and real in an 'over the top this is who I am when I trust the person I'm talking to' way.

message 23: by Rita (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rita (bookishr) | 4 comments There may be something wrong with me. When I read Rainbow Rowell (I've read all of her books) I start liking them from the start! Now I am having trouble with this one... I don't know if it's because the story is about ADULTS (I usually go for teens or new adulta idk why) or that it's SUPER creepy that this guy reads their e-mails (I get the WHY part) but how in the seven hells could he be in love with Beth?... Maybe it's me because for me, love is so chemical, I have to be around this person, I need to hold them, I need physycal contact, I need to smell their cologne. And it seems so awkward that he would love her without speaking a word to her...

Beth and Jennifer are super funny, I liked that. But Lincoln... I just feel like he should go out, have a one night stand, kiss a girl, drink, do SOMETHING! It terrifies me the fact that I could end up like him, throwing away my young years. I'm going to continue reading this book, but so far, not really commited in the plot...

Ashley (whodowninwhoville) | 6 comments This is my first read along and my first Rainbow Rowell book, so I'm getting my feet doubly wet in this business!

So far, I appreciate the back and forth between the Lincoln chapters and the Email chapters, because the technique creates mini-cliff-hangers at the end of each section as the plot continues to weave together. Neither of the subplots gets stale this way.

I relate so much to Beth and Jennifer in some respects, and to Lincoln in others. I think this is a testament to Rainbow Rowell's writing - there's something sympathetic about each of her characters.

I am slightly annoyed by not having better physical descriptions of the main characters, however. With all the bouncing around the back and forth chapter technique creates, it's hard for me to keep a solid image in my head of who's talking at the moment.

Also, I need to know what drove Sam and Lincoln apart. Please. Can we get to that already? Like. NOW.

Looking forward to the next checkpoint!

message 25: by Gine (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gine Bugge Sande | 9 comments I like the book....but I don't love it. Maybe I will when I read more ;) I have no idea of what's going to happen, but I'm exited.

Ariel Geraldine (goodreadscomarielgeraldine) | 2 comments I honestly love this book! The characters are funny and realistic! I m so glad I've read a few books that weren't realistic and it was very irritating. I love the way we read Beth and Jennifer's story through the emails this way we understand Lincoln's perspective better. I feel like from what I ve read so far that Chris and Beth's relationship is going to come to an end. I also feel that the "cute guy" from advertising that Beth has been watching happens to be Lincoln. It just seems a bit to coincidental. I think their may be a relationship brewing. Overall so far I think the book is great but I wish that they'd meet soon! Also I m really interested in knowing what happened that Lincoln and Sam split apart!

Kaylin (cozynovelsoverload) | 12 comments I really love the emails. I thought that it would be hard to keep Jennifer and Beth's characters straight, but they are very different so it wasn't a problem. and I just am so attached to both of them. And now I do see from Lincoln's perspective. Agh, it must feel so frustrating for him! I definitely sympathize with him:)

Radha (radhacelis) | 7 comments funniest book I've read in a long time! love the friendship between Jennifer and Beth! so warm and basically two girls who are there for each other. Loving the book so far. I laughed so much during the baby clothes conversation!

Marijne (marijnereads) | 2 comments I loved it so far! I like the story of Lincoln and I love the conversations between Jennifer and Beth! They are so funny and smart and they have a really cool friendship!

I hope Lincoln and Beth will meet soon!

Christina (adventuresinpolishland) | 17 comments I am loving this book so far! It is so easy to read and like a breath of fresh air despite some of the serious themes running throughout the story. I thought Lincoln would for sure catch his first glimpse of Beth at the rock concert! I also think the cute guy that Beth keeps mentioning is Lincoln - he must have been fixing a computer in advertising. At least, I hope so!

I really like how this takes place right when computers and email were becoming widely popular. It makes it understandable why Lincoln feels so uncomfortable reading the company emails. I also relate to him a bit because I too am the type of person who loves school and learning, and I plan out reading time. I can't wait to continue reading!

message 31: by Ana (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ana (404-equivalent) Hmm, I have some mixed feeling about this one. Apart from general opinion I don't really love this book yet, it's just ok. It's a really slow read for me. I had to put it down at one point and went to listen City of Bones audiobook instead. I read Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell before, and I really liked it, although I'm not sure if it's fair to compare this two books, since they really are quite different.

I really like the idea of chapters switching between e-mails and Lincoln narration, but I think the e-mail part could be better executed in the means of plot. It had some great moments, for example the one with children clothes buying - I really enjoyed this one, but overall I think the mails could be much more interesting.

Next thing or person to be precise I have problem with is Lincoln. He's such a vague characters without any hobbies and I usually don't like such characters. He has a lot of time and he just doesn't know what to do with it. I find that hard to relate to. I also think he should go out more just not with Justin. He doesn't seem a particularly good friend to me. I think he should stick to his d&d group and try to go out with them. I think they make him happy and they care for him.

I do love reading about Lincoln's past with Sam though! Initially I really didn't like her, but then I got invested in their story so I'd like to know more. I would also really like Beth and Lincoln to meet. I hope it will be a light and a bit awkward encounter. I'll see. :)

Alex (Pucksandpaperbacks) (pucksandpaperbacks) | 6 comments This is my first Rainbow Rowell book and I love it. I'm devouring it. I feel bad for Lincoln because I just want him to find love but at the same time I want him to meet Beth. I'm constantly thinking about his age. I hope they reveal it, it would help me a lot. I really love how he can't stop reading their messages, but neither can I. Justin is a maniac & I would love him as a friend. He is awesome. I hope Beth is pregnant, it would make Mitch so happy & she's caving. How cute when she bought baby clothes! I can't wait to see what else is going to happen!

Alex (Pucksandpaperbacks) (pucksandpaperbacks) | 6 comments oops, I mean Jennifer not Beth!

Danielle This is my first Rainbow Rowell book and like some others it took a while for me to get into to this, but I am really enjoying it. I think it was the lack of main character descriptions that threw me off. We have no idea what they look like, yet I feel like I know them. Beth and Jennifer are very charming and hilarious.

I really have no idea how it's gonna turn out. I hope that the interactions continue to be as funny. Poor Lincoln though, he needs to get his act together.

message 35: by Anna (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna Todd (xsincerelyanna) | 2 comments I started out Attachments not really feeling the story line or the characters but as I kept reading I started seeing where they were coming from. It also made me feel a little sad, reading Beth and Jennifer's emails because it reminds me of how my sister and I were back in middle school except with instant messaging so there was a lot of nostalgia there. I also started really connecting with Lincoln as I'm afraid of being that person who never figures out what they want to do in life and just keeps going back to school to get degrees in everything. I've already had some personal revelations with the first 30 chapters and I'm pretty excited about them.

I really hope that Beth and Lincoln meet soon because I feel like that would be the best first meeting ever. Or Jennifer could meet him first and shove him onto Beth which would also be hilarious. I also really hope Lincoln finds out what he really wants to do in life soon

Samantha (trixsam) | 4 comments I think like most of the previous comments, I too was kind of lost at the beginning of this book. But after a while I got used to the writing and think that Beth and Jennifer are the funniest coworkers/friends I've ever read about.

I'm also kind of having a weird crush on Lincoln for some God-knows-why reason. He just sounds cute.

Thank God I'm not the only one that thinks Tom Cruise is so overrated.

Shelby Rose Fogarty | 3 comments This book is really enjoyable and love how awkward Lincoln is and the two girls sassiness

message 38: by Ditta (last edited May 18, 2014 06:58AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ditta Reads (ditareads) | 9 comments The book is really enjoyable this far. I think the characters are great. They are easy to relate to, even though I only read about Beth and Jennifer from their emails.

The book is also super funny. Laughing out lout, for real. People hearing me must think I'm crazy.

Excited about it! Wanna know what will happen, I have no clue what to expect.

message 39: by Becca (last edited May 19, 2014 10:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Becca (bookishlybecca) This is also my first Rainbow Rowell book and I'm kicking myself for not picking one up sooner because I am absolutely loving Attachments! Like many other people it did take me a few chapters to really get into the book and start liking the characters. But now it's gotten to the point were I can't stop reading. I love all three of the main characters. I sympathize with all of them, especially Lincoln. I just want to give him a hug. :P

I loved reading about how both Jennifer and Beth met their guys, and Lincoln talking about Sam. I really want to know more about why they broke up, or rather why Sam broke up with him. Maybe when they went off to college she changed and Lincoln didn't??

But yes I'm loving the writing and the plot and learning so much about all of the characters, and I can't wait to see what will happen next!

Am I the only one thinking/hoping that Lincoln is the cute guy that Beth keeps talking about? That would be really cute/funny, seeing as Lincoln is jealous of him. xD

Mari-Ann Cherry wrote: "So I live in England where I can't find the nice hard cover Attachments with the office chairs and the paper clip thing on the front and IT BUGS ME SO MUCH!! The only thing they have in bookstores ..."

BookDepository has the cover with the chairs in paperback: http://www.bookdepository.com/Attachm...

I have the ugly cover, because when I ordered it (through another site) that version was the cheapest. But now when I'm reading it, the cover doesn't bug me that much.

Mari-Ann I actually really like reading about Lincoln. I’m not connecting with the girls though. At least not yet, because their story is told only in dialog. And for me that leaves their characters too shallow. I would like to read more about their thoughts and feelings in order to really know them and to feel for them.
But I’m anxious to see how Lincoln and Beth meet. Or like how they all meet. So yeah, I’m starting to like this story more than in the beginning.

Cataluna6 | 4 comments I'm loving this so far, I've been listening to the audio in my car and I keep finding myself driving the long way so I can finish more - always a good sign!

message 43: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 17 comments So far it's been great! I'm finding it really funny, with Lincoln being a nerd and Jennifer and Beth completely disregarding the fact that he's reading their emails. I like how Jennifer doesn't want a baby, yet she finds herself shopping for baby clothes. And, of course, Beth's cute guy, which I hope is Lincoln :)

Tashelby Robinson (breannasyabookshelf) | 6 comments So far I really like Beth's character and how random she is. Lincoln is interesting but comes off much younger than what he actually is. Right now it is a tad boring but the writing is really good. And I def want to know what happened to Lincoln and Sam.

message 45: by Lexie (new) - rated it 1 star

Lexie (thelexiewilson) Honestly, I'm a little bored. I feel like the story line is repetitive. Beth and Jennifer talk about men and life, Lincoln reads the emails, then Lincoln goes home and tries to find purpose and gumption.
I'm ready for something to happen.

However, it looks like the story is starting to shift so that's good. I don't need tons of excitement but just....some sort of change would be nice.

I do like each of the characters though, they seem really nice. Beth's relationship to Chris is a little annoying, but I get it. I mean we've ALL been there so I get it. :)

Anyway, not much to say! On to the second portion of it all! :)

Denise Weigand | 2 comments I love Beth and Jennifer, they are so funny and corky. When I found out that the setting was in the Midwest again I was so very excited. I rarely find anything that is set in the Midwest. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the book.