Short & Sweet Treats discussion

Archives > Voting Time~Play Nominations

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

LaLaLa Laura  (laurabhoffman) | 4443 comments Mod
“The quality of a play is the quality of its ideas.”
George Bernard Shaw

Welcome to June Nominations where will select a play!

Please make a selection from our Play Shelf and place your nomination here.

Also, please refer to our shelf of Books Already Read so we don't nominate previous selections.

Nominations close on the 10th!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I would like to nominate Fiddler on the Roof. I've seen the movie a billion times, and it is so AWESOME!!!!!!!

message 3: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) I nominate Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard. The only issue is that in order to "get" the humor, the reader has to be familiar with Hamlet.

The Amazon blurb says: "Acclaimed as a modern dramatic masterpiece, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead is the fabulously inventive tale of Hamlet as told from the worm’s-eve view of the bewildered Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, two minor characters in Shakespeare’s play. In Tom Stoppard’s best-known work, this Shakespearean Laurel and Hardy finally get a chance to take the lead role, but do so in a world where echoes of Waiting for Godot resound, where reality and illusion intermix, and where fate leads our two heroes to a tragic but inevitable end.

Tom Stoppard was catapulted into the front ranks of modem playwrights overnight when Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead opened in London in 1967. Its subsequent run in New York brought it the same enthusiastic acclaim, and the play has since been performed numerous times in the major theatrical centers of the world."

message 4: by Impeachbush (new)

Impeachbush | 2 comments Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

message 5: by Lamilla (last edited May 04, 2014 12:51AM) (new)

Lamilla I'd like to nominate and add to our play shelf Black Watch by Gregory Burke

"Based on interviews with former soldiers, it portrays soldiers in the Black Watch regiment of the British Army serving on Operation TELIC in Iraq during 2004, prior to the amalgamation into the Royal Regiment of Scotland"

message 6: by amber (new)

amber (thelittlematchgirl) | 116 comments I'm having a hard time picking just one will have to think about it for a while.

message 7: by Kristi (last edited May 04, 2014 06:01PM) (new)

Kristi Krumnow | 496 comments I nom Sarcophagus. Or The Laramie Project which is not on the list. I also second the nom for Black Watch which also looks promising.

message 8: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) I saw Sarcophagus performed in Detroit MI, and it's a very powerful production. Some background in the Chernobyl incident is necessary; the author Vladimir Gubaryev was a journalist who reported the accident and was so affected he wrote this play.

message 9: by amber (new)

amber (thelittlematchgirl) | 116 comments I'll go with Death of a Salesman

message 11: by Katie (new)

Katie Coleman Waiting for Godot or Amadeus

message 12: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (butterflyprincess) | 62 comments I think I will bow out of next months selection and reads. Will rejoin in July.

message 13: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Brenda wrote: "I think I will bow out of next months selection and reads. Will rejoin in July."

All good, Brenda! You can always feel free to join in on our games and chats any time! If not, see you in July! :)

message 15: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

just an fyi...Death of a Salesman is leading so far.

message 16: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Death of a Salesman is the winner!

message 17: by Greg (new)

Greg I know it's past voting time - I'm hardly disappointed in Death of a Salesman, a striking and moving classic, but I just wanted to say how excited I was to see Black Watch mentioned below. I saw that play when the National Theater of Scotland production came through Los Angeles, and I just loved it, such an interesting and unique production, the frenetic way so many different elements were woven together .. speech, song, dance. I think a filming of a production of the play is (or at least was) available on DVD in PAL format. Haven't seen the DVD, but live it was wonderful; so I suspect that would be good too!