What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. She has to quest to save him - YA Fantasy

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by T (new)

T | 3 comments In one chapter he is turned into a hot stone and she has to hold on to him. If she drops him she fails. This is just one of the quests she has to complete in order to save him.

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6980 comments Mod
Ok, there is a scene like this in one of Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunters series. Unfortunately, I don't remember the exact one, but you might try checking out one or two of these. Or perhaps someone who's read them more recently than I have would remember.

message 3: by Michele (new)

Michele | 280 comments Does he get turned into a whole bunch of things and she has to hold onto him no matter what? This is a scene from the Tam Lin tale. There are many versions. Any more details? YA, adult? What year did you read it?

message 4: by T (new)

T | 3 comments Michele, yes he does have to turn into several things. I read it over 15 years ago. It was Y A fantasy.

Thank you for your suggestion Ann but It is not a Dark Hunter.

message 5: by Michele (new)

Michele | 280 comments Is it set in medieval Scotland? Modern day? Is there anything else you remember? There are many versions of this old story ballad.

The Queen of Faery tries to take Tam Lin back to faeryland and only a woman pregnant with his child can save him. Janet had to hold him until after midnight on All Hallow's Eve (I think). The queen turns him into all kinds of things to try to get Janet to let go, but Janet holds tight and saves him.

The only novel I know is Tam Lin by Pamela Dean and it's set at a small midwestern college in the 60s.

message 6: by Daphne (new)

Daphne | 247 comments The Perilous Gard and Fire and Hemlock are a couple of other Tam Lin stories. They are both excellent.

message 7: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 333 comments Here's a listopia of Tam Lin retellings:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

message 8: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2358 comments Daphne wrote: "The Perilous Gard and Fire and Hemlock are a couple of other Tam Lin stories. They are both excellent."

Those are the two I thought of right away -- good matches.

message 9: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

I had thought of the Fire and Hemlock book too. As well as the Dark Hunters series.

message 10: by T (new)

T | 3 comments I am going to start with Tam Lin by Pamela Dean as that one sounds the most like I remember but now I have a list to read through which is awesome, so thank you all!

message 11: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Be sure to come back and tell us if one of them IS the correct title Tonya.

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37620 comments Mod
T, did you find the book?

message 13: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37620 comments Mod
Lobstergirl wrote: "T, did you find the book?"

No response in 3 years. Moving to Abandoned.