Fairy Godreaders discussion

Should we use lists?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Our bookshelf is starting to get larger, which is good. But I'm wondering if it would be better for potential readers if we created lists like:

Humorous scifi -
Literary parodies -
Speculative Romance -
Invented Worlds/Cultures to Escape to -
Lush Literary Historical Fiction -
Great Golden Rat Award Winners -

Just saw that you won that last one, PJ. Congratulations! If we created lists, maybe we could even put in the books by you and Bryn that other Fairy G's liked, but haven't been listed in the group to avoid seeming like a self-promotional site with ulterior motives.

What do members think? Can groups even have lists? Will Goodreads stay up long enough for us to find out? Is anyone else having trouble connecting lately?

message 2: by P.J. (new)

P.J. O'Brien | 114 comments ...Great Golden Rat Award Winners - Just saw that you won that last one, PJ. Congratulations!

Thanks! It was a happy surprise and shock, for sure. I thought I was going to fall from my previous silver to a bronze or a tin since I'd found a few typos on my own when considering how/when to revise Grave-climbing. I'm thinking of coming up with my own award program for intrepid readers who aren't afraid to read Epics of Epic Proportions (new list idea!). Of course, FG, you get the first award for that and Richard McGowan gets the 2nd.

If we created lists, maybe we could even put in the books by you and Bryn that other Fairy G's liked, but haven't been listed in the group to avoid seeming like a self-promotional site with ulterior motives.

What do members think? Can groups even have lists? Will Goodreads stay up long enough for us to find out? Is anyone else having trouble connecting lately?

I don't know much about how lists work, but we can research it and try it out. And yes, I think GR has been dealing with pretty severe problems, at least in the early evening hours yesterday when I first tried to get in. I pity the poor techs that had to deal with it. So far it's been ok for me this morning (knocking gently on my noggin to be safe). And speaking of literary parodies, I'm going to add some books that I just read and liked. You can put them in lists if you want.

message 3: by P.J. (new)

P.J. O'Brien | 114 comments Guess what? I did a search on the Listopia section and found an offbeat fairy tale list to enter a discovered book into. We may not have to invent anything after all.

BTW, I'm getting close to finishing Space Tripping With The Shredded Orphans, which I've really come to enjoy. When I'm done with it, I'm going to resist the urge to write a blog-length story inspired by some of its themes, and instead find a humorous sci-fi list to enter it into.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Very cool. Since you have the Sci-fi humor and twisted fairy tales lists down, I'm going to look for the Epics of Epic Proportions. That might be one that does need inventing!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I did it! I made an Epics of Epic Proportions list. And I put you in it! So there!

Ha-ha. Add to it at will.

message 6: by P.J. (new)

P.J. O'Brien | 114 comments I know; it showed up on my update feed. I put Bryn's in; she does an excellent job of (how did you say it?):

...books with a sweeping scope in terms of characters, generations, story lines, or themes.

Nice work Faerie!

message 7: by P.J. (new)

P.J. O'Brien | 114 comments Faerie wrote: "Our bookshelf is starting to get larger, which is good. But I'm wondering if it would be better for potential readers if we created lists like:

Humorous scifi -
Literary parodies -
Speculative Rom..."

Ever since you first posted that, I've been browsing the GR lists and have found some great stuff. I think we should still use our bookshelves but if there are Ready for Primetime books that need more exposure, go to Listopia under the Explore heading and do a search for keywords and tags that best fit a book. That would put them where they could be noticed by people who like similar things.

I've just done that with a few books relating to dreams and dream-like realities. There were dozens of lists, but I chose those which had books I was familiar with so that I knew what they were looking for in terms of scope. (But careful, I came across a lot of new books that I was itching to add to my ever growing pile of things to read. But I decided that if I just remembered a few lists, I could always go back to them to find them.)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Good idea!

message 9: by P.J. (new)

P.J. O'Brien | 114 comments Faerie wrote: "Good idea!"

Aren't you glad you thought of it? :-)
Maybe not quite the same way as I suggested, but enough to steer me in that direction.