Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives 2014 > May's Mate Mix Up, Match Up and Pair Up Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisarenee (last edited May 03, 2014 05:19AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments

This challenge was inspired by Sara who wanted to do a wife swap Kate of the Kate Daniels series with Mercy from the Mercedes Thompson series after reading Night Broken by Patricia Briggs.

How this challenge works
Select either two characters to match up or two couples to swap mates/spouses from literature.

Option One - If you select two characters, you'll simply pair them up either by reading two different books each of which has one of the characters in it, doing a spell-it-out challenge using their names or finding books with characters which share a name with your intended characters (first, last, nickname).

Option Two - If you select a couple to do a supernatural (or other) spouse/mate swap you'll simply pair the couples up either by reading books the different couples are in, doing a spell-it-out challenge using their names or finding books with characters which share a name with your intended characters (first, last, nickname).

Option Three - Create-A-Story around the couple your doing a swap with or the pair you're looking to set up. You can use a combination of titles and cover pictures to create your story.

Examples of a Spell-It-Out:
You may use:
- the first letter in the Author's (first, last, or nickname)
- the first letter in a character's (first, last, or nickname)
- the first letter of the first word in the title. If the first word is A, An, The, etc, then feel free to use the first letter of the second word in the title.

Kate/Mercy Wife Swap example:

K - Kenyon, Sherrilyn author of Illusion
A - Aiken, G.A.; author of Dragon Actually
T - Toxic Heart by Theo Lawrence
E - Edward; a character in Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

M - The Masterful Mr. Montague by Stephanie Laurens
E - Estep, Jennifer; Author of Spider's Bite
R - Rachel Caine; author of Ghost Town
C - City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare
Y - Yesterday by Fern Michaels

Example of a Create-A-Story:
Simulated match up of Ian (from Night Huntress) with Simi (from Dark Hunters)

One Silent Night two very different people encountered one another in The Way of Shadows. He'd come seeking Sweet Revenge while she'd come looking for a bottle of her favorite BBQ sauce.

He took in her goth type outfit and asked, "What are you doing out and about, Love?" and flashed her a sparkly half crooked wicked grin. "Don't you know there are things that Bite in the night?"

Mesmorized by his shiney sparkly teeth she said, "The Simi knows all about biting." Giving him a lopsided grin. "I searching for A Quick Bite myself."

Wondering if the seemingly Sweet Girl knew what she was playing with he inquired, "And what exactly would a quick bite include?" Thinking the girl was Flirting With Danger, he took a step closer And Then He Kissed Her.

She immediately took her bottle of BBQ sauce and hit him over the head. As he fell to the ground he thought he heard her say, "What a Waste. Akri and his stupid rules. Now What to Eat?"

Please note, the top picture was created from the close-ups of the covers for Frost Burned by Patricia Briggs and Magic Rises by Ilona Andrews respectively.
Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson, #7) by Patricia Briggs Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6) by Ilona Andrews

message 2: by Lisarenee (last edited May 02, 2014 10:13AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments Reserved

message 3: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments I hope you all like this one. I created it on the fly. I wanted to do something fun and different. Let me know if I need to clarify how to do something. I literally tossed this one together because I couldn't decide what to do. Thanks for inspiring this one Sara. :)

message 4: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) Lisarenee this one IS AWESOME!!!! Sara's idea was so fun to read that I *have* to create a story for that.

Not sure if the books I have planed for this month will mix and match... but I will try.

*Goes in search of wicked ways to punish Adam and Curran*

message 5: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 1129 comments How ironic... Kate Daniels is one of my favorite series and I am currently reading the Mercy Thompson series so this challenge fits in perfect. Love it!

I'm in. I will post my books later.

message 6: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments Thanks Sonia.

message 7: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments Leigh wrote: "How ironic... Kate Daniels is one of my favorite series and I am currently reading the Mercy Thompson series so this challenge fits in perfect. Love it!

I'm in. I will post my books later."

I envy you reading it for the first time. I love both series.

message 8: by Leigh (last edited May 31, 2014 07:33AM) (new)

Leigh | 1129 comments Who's Your Author? May's Mate Mix Up, Match Up and Pair Up Reading Challenge

photo 21433df0-321c-4cf0-83ec-ff365e13a460_zps76c5bc06.jpg  photo 0db61f09-b3cd-4933-b7e8-be3910e96a0d_zps69729dd4.png

Kate/Mercy Wife Swap

Completed: 9/9

K:Kiera Cass author of The One 5/11
A:Andreas, Grace character in Oracle's Moon 5/31
T:Talking About Sex... 5/4
E:Enchanted 5/27

M:Mallery, Susan author of Sweet Spot 5/7
E:Ebenezar character in Blood Rites 5/6
R:Reine, S.M. author of Caged Wolf 5/3
C:A Creature of Moonlight 5/9
Y:Yours to Keep 5/4

The One (The Selection, #3) by Kiera Cass Oracle's Moon (Elder Races, #4) by Thea Harrison Talking About Sex... (Harlequin Blaze #210) by Vicki Lewis Thompson Enchanted (Woodcutter Sisters #1) by Alethea Kontis Sweet Spot (Bakery Sisters, #2) by Susan Mallery Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6) by Jim Butcher Caged Wolf (The Tarot Witches, #1) by S.M. Reine A Creature of Moonlight by Rebecca Hahn Yours to Keep (Kowalski Family, #3) by Shannon Stacey

Reviews: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 9: by Patty (new)

Patty (catnaping) | 415 comments I'm in
0/8
Kate/Jane

K Kira character in Ruins Dan Wells
A Alexandra Ivy Born in Blood
T Tris character in Insurgent Veronica Roth
E Eve character in Concealed in Death J.D Robb

J Jewel,Carolyn My Immortal Assassin
A Allegiant Veronica Roth
N Neill,Chloe Howling for you
E Elin character in Burning Dawn Gena Showalter

Ruins (Partials Sequence, #3) by Dan Wells Born in Blood (The Sentinels, #1) by Alexandra Ivy Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth Concealed in Death (In Death, #38) by J.D. Robb My Immortal Assassin (My Immortals #3) by Carolyn Jewel Allegiant (Divergent, #3) by Veronica Roth Howling For You (Chicagoland Vampires, #8.5) by Chloe Neill Burning Dawn (Angels of the Dark, #3) by Gena Showalter

message 10: by Sara (last edited May 05, 2014 05:22PM) (new)

Sara | 860 comments I love it!

Let's give it a shot:

On her way to the annual Coven meeting, Rachel Morgan made a quick stop in Chicago. Travelling down Sparrow Hill Road, Rachel met a tall wizard by the name of Harry Dresden. After hours of playing the Skin Game, the duo were interrupted during breakfast by Harry's brother. Thomas promptly told Rachel that when Murphy found out she was a "Dead Witch Walking!"

Rachel & Harry - The world would never be the same (assuming it survived).

message 11: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) Harry&Rachel? Murphy would kick Rachel till kingdom come... Or Ivy would drink Harry dry... I love it, Sara!!!!

message 12: by Sonia (last edited May 06, 2014 05:21AM) (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) Who's Your Author? May's Mate Mix Up, Match Up and Pair Up Reading Challenge
Read 0/14

Option Three

The Bitches of Brooklyn were upset with Adam & Curran. Their actions (or lack of) awoke their inner witch so a set of magical Runes was used and The Forever Song was heard. A wife swap was in order! Theirs were far from Noble Intentions they just wanted to see something Catching Fire!

The spell was a powerful one made to work When All the World Sleeps

Adam saw the cloud around Mercy and forgetting she was a coyote and magic resistant hold her tight begging her: "Don't go! Please Believe in us!"

Curran, as a First felt the waves of magic and screamed: "Kate, don't leave! Don't ever leave me!"
"If I Stay" Kate's voice was shaking "No more keeping me in the dark."
"I promise" Curran whispered. And gave her The Immortal Crown.

But the magical Tangled Threads were still at work: Cindy was Pushing the Limits and Lorelei was Proven Guilty, so they both were forever Spell Bound to some nasty Hostile Ground.

The Bitches of Brooklyn by Rosemary Harris Runes (Runes, #1) by Ednah Walters The Forever Song (Blood of Eden, #3) by Julie Kagawa Noble Intentions (Noble series) by Katie MacAlister Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins When All the World Sleeps by Lisa Henry Believe (True Believers, #3) by Erin McCarthy If I Stay (If I Stay, #1) by Gayle Forman The Immortal Crown (Age of X, #2) by Richelle Mead Tangled Threads (Elemental Assassin, #4) by Jennifer Estep Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits, #1) by Katie McGarry Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8) by Jim Butcher Spell Bound (Hex Hall, #3) by Rachel Hawkins Hostile Ground by Aleksandr Voinov

====================================================
Uhmmm I think chip'n'dale got a bit carried away...
14 books?!
*shakes head at the chipmunks*

message 13: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments Sara wrote: "I love it!

Let's give it a shot:

On her way to the annual Coven meeting, Rachel Morgan made a quick stop in Chicago. Travelling down Sparrow Hill Road, Rachel met a tall wizard b..."

I love it. You made me laugh.

message 14: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) Lisarenee wrote: "I love it. You made me laugh"

Me too. It made my morning brighter :)

message 15: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments Patty wrote: "I'm in
0/8
Kate/Jane

J Jewel,Carolyn M..."

Racking my head, which Jane? From Yellowrock (I haven't read the series yet, but for some reason I'm thinking there's a Jane there)?

message 16: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments Leigh wrote: "Who's Your Author? May's Mate Mix Up, Match Up and Pair Up Reading Challenge

Kate/Mercy Wife Swap

Completed: 3/9

K:Kiera Cass author of The One
A:Andreas, Grace charact..."

You're reading The One too. Yay! I got mine yesterday and started. Now to finish. :)

message 17: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments Patty wrote: "I'm in
"

I still need to read Ruins too. I got it when it came out and my daughter stole it and haven't seen it since. I need to inquire about that. Thanks for the reminder.

message 18: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4452 comments I'm loving these stories, well done ladies! And go, go, go Sonia. 14 books is a mighty effort!!

message 19: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4452 comments And yep, I assumed Jane Yellowrock from Skinwalker fame :)

message 20: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) Thanks Sandra. Yes, 14 books will be pushing it... we'll see how it goes.

message 21: by Suzanne (last edited Jun 05, 2014 02:26PM) (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 116 comments Who's Your Author?
May's Mate Mix Up, Match Up and Pair Up Reading Challenge
Duration:
5/1/2014 - 5/31/2014

Mercy Thompson / Rachel Morgan

M: The Maze Runner by James Dashner - *** - 5/6/2014
E: The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan - ***** - 5/31/2014
R: Richelle Mead; Shadow Kiss - ***** - 5/7/2014
C: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare - ***** - 5/22/2014
Y: Yasmine Galenorn; Courting Darkness - **** - 5/29/2014 - 286 Pages

R: Richelle Mead; Spirit Bound - ***** - 5/27/2014
A: Alan Bradley; The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches - ***** - 5/14/2014
C: Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare - ***** - 5/22/2014
H: Robert Harris; Pompeii - * - 5/28/2014
E: Eric Schlosser; Fast Food Nation - ***** - 5/30/2014
L: The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett - **** - 5/1/2014

The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2) by Terry Pratchett The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3) by Richelle Mead The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches (Flavia de Luce, #6) by Alan Bradley Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices Manga, #1) by Cassandra Clare Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2) by Cassandra Clare Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, #5) by Richelle Mead Pompeii by Robert Harris Courting Darkness (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon #10) by Yasmine Galenorn The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1) by Robert Jordan Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser

message 22: by Patty (new)

Patty (catnaping) | 415 comments Lisarenee wrote: "Patty wrote: "I'm in
0/8
Kate/Jane

J J..."

Yep Jane Yellowrock love that series

message 23: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) Who's Your Author? May's Mate Mix Up, Match Up and Pair Up Reading Challenge
Read 1/14

Option Three

The Bitches of Brooklyn were upset with Adam & Curran. Their actions (or lack of) awoke their inner witch so a set of magical Runes was used and The Forever Song was heard. A wife swap was in order! Theirs were far from Noble Intentions they just wanted to see something Catching Fire!

The spell was a powerful one made to work When All the World Sleeps

Adam saw the cloud around Mercy and forgetting she was a coyote and magic resistant hold her tight begging her: "Don't go! Please Believe in us!"

Curran, as a First felt the waves of magic and screamed: "Kate, don't leave! Don't ever leave me!"
"If I Stay" Kate's voice was shaking "No more keeping me in the dark."
"I promise" Curran whispered. And gave her The Immortal Crown.

But the magical Tangled Threads were still at work: Cindy was Pushing the Limits and Lorelei was Proven Guilty, so they both were forever Spell Bound to some nasty Hostile Ground.

The Bitches of Brooklyn by Rosemary Harris Runes (Runes, #1) by Ednah Walters The Forever Song (Blood of Eden, #3) by Julie Kagawa Noble Intentions (Noble series) by Katie MacAlister Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins When All the World Sleeps by Lisa Henry Believe (True Believers, #3) by Erin McCarthy If I Stay (If I Stay, #1) by Gayle Forman The Immortal Crown (Age of X, #2) by Richelle Mead Tangled Threads (Elemental Assassin, #4) by Jennifer Estep Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits, #1) by Katie McGarry Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8) by Jim Butcher Spell Bound (Hex Hall, #3) by Rachel Hawkins Hostile Ground by L.A. Witt

books read
If I Stay - 15.05

message 24: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 1129 comments Finished!

Who's Your Author? May's Mate Mix Up, Match Up and Pair Up Reading Challenge

photo 21433df0-321c-4cf0-83ec-ff365e13a460_zps76c5bc06.jpg  photo 0db61f09-b3cd-4933-b7e8-be3910e96a0d_zps69729dd4.png

Kate/Mercy Wife Swap

Completed: 9/9

K:Kiera Cass author of The One 5/11
A:Andreas, Grace character in Oracle's Moon 5/31
T:Talking About Sex... 5/4
E:Enchanted 5/27

M:Mallery, Susan author of Sweet Spot 5/7
E:Ebenezar character in Blood Rites 5/6
R:Reine, S.M. author of Caged Wolf 5/3
C:A Creature of Moonlight 5/9
Y:Yours to Keep 5/4

The One (The Selection, #3) by Kiera Cass Oracle's Moon (Elder Races, #4) by Thea Harrison Talking About Sex... (Harlequin Blaze #210) by Vicki Lewis Thompson Enchanted (Woodcutter Sisters #1) by Alethea Kontis Sweet Spot (Bakery Sisters, #2) by Susan Mallery Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6) by Jim Butcher Caged Wolf (The Tarot Witches, #1) by S.M. Reine A Creature of Moonlight by Rebecca Hahn Yours to Keep (Kowalski Family, #3) by Shannon Stacey

Reviews: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 25: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4452 comments Hooray, Leigh!

message 26: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 1129 comments Thanks Sandra!

message 27: by Patty (new)

Patty (catnaping) | 415 comments 8/8 Done
Kate/Jane

K Kira character in Ruins Dan Wells 5/14
A Alexandra Ivy Born in Blood 5/10
T Tris character in Insurgent Veronica Roth 5/27
E Eve character in Concealed in Death J.D Robb 5/17

J Jewel,Carolyn My Immortal Assassin 5/25
A Allegiant Veronica Roth 5/29
N Neill,Chloe Howling for you 5/27
E Elin character in Burning Dawn Gena Showalter 5/20

Ruins (Partials Sequence, #3) by Dan Wells Born in Blood (The Sentinels, #1) by Alexandra Ivy Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth Concealed in Death (In Death, #38) by J.D. Robb My Immortal Assassin (My Immortals #3) by Carolyn Jewel Allegiant (Divergent, #3) by Veronica Roth Howling For You (Chicagoland Vampires, #8.5) by Chloe Neill Burning Dawn (Angels of the Dark, #3) by Gena Showalter

message 28: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4452 comments Hooray, Patty!

message 29: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 1129 comments Congrats Patty!