What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Popular/famous heroine and regular/ordinary hero?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JG (new)

JG | 31 comments I'm tired of reading about famous, rich hero and regular heroine, why can't the female be the famous, more successful one for a change?

I'd like a celebrity (actress, singer, host etc) heroine.
So any recommendations?

message 2: by JG (new)

JG | 31 comments nothing seriously? this is even rarer than i thought

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (last edited May 02, 2014 07:15PM) (new)

Lobstergirl | 36945 comments Mod
Only 8 people have seen your thread (including you) so give it a little time.

I feel like this has been requested before, in the "books in general" section - have you skimmed through this section?

message 4: by JG (new)

JG | 31 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Only 8 people have seen your thread (including you) so give it a little time.

I feel like this has been requested before, in the "books in general" section - have you skimmed through this section?"

not really. tnx for the advise, i'll start the skimming

message 5: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrissyknitty) | 1 comments Have you tried "Ahabs Wife" by Sena Jeter Naslund? A fictional heroine based on the story of a fictional ?hero? Captain Ahab from Moby Dick.
I feel she is an archetypal woman, and it's a stunning story to boot.
Just a thought.

message 7: by Liralen (new)

Liralen | 708 comments Are you looking for romance, YA, general fiction? There's the Secrets of My Hollywood Life and The President's Daughter series (both YA) and plenty of Harlequins like A Prince of a Guy, The Improperly Pregnant Princess, and The Doctor Takes a Princess...although with the Harlequins they really never do let the woman have an upper hand, regardless of station in life.

message 8: by Liralen (new)

Liralen | 708 comments Okay, a few more. These are not great options, but some of them might do.

Adult:
Good in Bed (heroine achieves success rather later in the book)
To Be Queen: A Novel of the Early Life of Eleanor of Aquitaine (a lot of novels about Eleanor of Aquitaine pair her with various men of various stations)

YA (most, though not all, of which are very fluffy):
Girl Overboard (heroine's father, not heroine, is rich and famous -- but it impacts her)
A Brief History of Montmaray (heroine is a princess of a very tiny, impoverished kingdom -- it's a little more complicated than that, and there's no real romance until a later book, but the books are excellent)
Also Known As (heroine is a spy)
Spoiled (heroine is the daughter of a major movie star...and okay, I can't even remember if there is a hero, but it's YA, so I assume so)
Violet on the Runway (heroine becomes an in-demand model)
The Princess Diaries (probably does not need explanation)

message 9: by bb. (new)

bb. (magnumopus) | 92 comments Just Listen by Sarah Dessen, the main character is a local model but gets bullied in school. Hence, she has no friends. She meets a guy who is obsessed with music and meets his little sister who is a hugeee fan of the main character. It's adorable, it made me cry. Love it. :-)

message 10: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2231 comments Liralen wrote: "...although with the Harlequins they really never do let the woman have an upper hand, regardless of station in life..."

*snerk* Too true :)

message 11: by JG (new)

JG | 31 comments Michele wrote: "Liralen wrote: "...although with the Harlequins they really never do let the woman have an upper hand, regardless of station in life..."

*snerk* Too true :)"

I know. I was starting to notice that too- the heroine is usually poor and, no matter how hard working OR how many years pass, they always seem to be on the verge of destitution and needs the hero with the gazillion money to make everything better.

It gets kind of annoying and being a female, slightly offending

message 12: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 596 comments So sort of like the film Notting Hill...but a book...?