Space Opera Fans discussion

Helpful Stuff > How to Manage Your Goodreads Notifications

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (last edited May 14, 2016 05:34AM) (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Greetings Space Opera Fans!

Is Goodreads spamming your email inbox? Yeah ... meh ... the default setting at Goodreads is to overshare. Kinda like when you ask your Great Aunt Edna how she's feeling and she starts telling you about her colonoscopy. I don't know about you guys, but I really don't want to get emails sent to my inbox every time a Goodreads community burps or farts.

But...

While Space Opera Fans moderators have no control over these settings, there are ways to adjust your settings that are totally within YOUR control:

TO ADJUST YOUR GOODREADS EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS:

1. Click on your personal avatar/icon on the top right-hand side of the page. It will give you a drop-down menu;

2. Click 'view profile.'

3. Just above your little Avatar picture click 'edit my profile;'

4. It will bring you to your profile page. Across the top are a bunch of 'folders.' Click the 'emails' tab;

5. Adjust your settings as you see fit.

---'Email me new reviews from friends' is that Goodreads email you get that says 'your friends reviewed these books.' You can shut it off, or adjust your friends list so you only get emails about what your 'top friends' are reading (this of course necessitates going into your friends list and designating which friends are 'top friends' versus ordinary connections).

---Other emails and Goodreads newsletters ... there are numerous settings you can adjust as suits you;

5. Group Email Preferences - this is where you can specifically adjust your email notification settings for the 'digest' style emails (the one which comes from Goodreads) for the Space Opera Fans community. This is the email you get that lists all the active comment threads and all the comments made since the last time Goodreads sent you the digest. SOF Mods have no control over this. It is in your control.

---There are boxes to click off to receive emails for every comment made on every thread in the community or to shut these emails off. Remember great Aunt Edna and her colon? Yeah ... chances are that while you might want to receive email notifications for a thread you started, you don't want to get spammed with every single frackin' comment for every single conversation thread in the entire community. Adjust that puppy! Blurg!

6. Click 'save email settings.'

7. See what you still get. If it's too much or too little, simply go back in and adjust.

None of this will impact the emails you receive from the moderators of the Space Opera Fans community. It is customary for Goodreads groups Moderators to send announcements to community members updating them about certain community-wide events such as group reads, challenges, R2R batches, group-events and polls. It is a call to action to entice community members to come back and interact with one another in the threads. I only send out a few announcements per month, and I am diligent about ensuring they are not spam.

What if you realize you're really not interested in talking about Space Opera? That's okay ... you can withdraw. If you would like to leave the community, visit the community page. Just underneath the central logo is the group write-up, and then it will say You are a member. Click 'Edit'. It will bring you to a new page which says 'My Membership.' Underneath that is a link which says Leave This Group. Just click it, and you will be removed from the group plus all community group messages from the moderator.

Sincerely,
Anna Erishkigal
SOF MOD

message 2: by Freeman (new)

Freeman Morey | 15 comments Anna, what books won the readers and indie picks? Thanks, Freeman.

message 3: by Ward (new)

Ward (kd_pl) | 28 comments Freeman wrote: "Anna, what books won the readers and indie picks? Thanks, Freeman."

It is over here https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

Ward

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Thanks Ward!

Am I the only person who's been having trouble logging onto Goodreads all weekend? It's up, it's down, it's up, it's down. Very frustrating!

message 5: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 875 comments Mod
Anna wrote: "Thanks Ward!

Am I the only person who's been having trouble logging onto Goodreads all weekend? It's up, it's down, it's up, it's down. Very frustrating!"

There was apparently a major power outage in San Francisco over the weekend lasting nearly a day. That's probably what was going on.

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Betsy wrote: "There was apparently a major power outage in San Francisco over the weekend lasting nearly a day. That's probably what was going on.
..."

Thanks, Betsy! It makes it hard to moderate when Goodreads keeps tellin' ya 'Goodreads is over capacity.' Yeah ... my life is over capacity :-)