My Sibling The Mythical Being! discussion

Sister the Vampire SPOILER > Vampalicious (MSTV #4)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Daisy, The Brains (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments Hi! This is the discussion for the fourth book in the My Sister the Vampire series - Vampalicious. Feel free to talk about anything to do with this book here :)

Please remember that we DO allow spoilers in this discussion. Have fun!

message 2: by Sophie, The Joker (new)

Sophie | 1253 comments Note to self - read this month :D

message 3: by Sophie, The Joker (new)

Sophie | 1253 comments Wow. Just finished this again this morning and it's so happy! I can't believe I was actually getting a little teary at one point :0

I love you Sienna Mercer :) *sighs*

message 4: by Daisy, The Brains (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments I know, I teared up when Olivia was reading Charles' old diary. Emotional stuff. Had a really happy ending though. :)

message 5: by Suzy (new)

Suzy | 22 comments Actually I was kinda annoyed when I found out who their father was. Olivia didn't react at all when she found out. If that was me I'd be so angry at him! I mean doesn't matter if one is a vampire or not, he still gave up one of his children and Olivia seemed perfectly okay with that! Okay, rant over. Lol.

message 6: by Daisy, The Brains (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments Hmm, that's actually a good point suzy, I never thought about that. I guess Olivia knows he's a good guy and so accepted that he must have had a good reason to split them up (which he did - from his view of things anyway) but it is kinda weird that she didn't react at all.

message 7: by Emy (new)

Emy Maybe Olivia kinda knew it was him all along, somehow.

message 8: by Suzy (new)

Suzy | 22 comments Maybe, but I don't know how if even Ivy never guessed.

message 9: by Daisy, The Brains (last edited May 28, 2014 04:30AM) (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments Maybe Ivy did know it in her heart as well, I mean, she said that she'd always known there was something missing in her life and then she realized what it was when she met Olivia. In a way she'd always known she had a long-lost twin sister but she just didn't realize it until she met Olivia. Maybe somehow she knew deep down that Charles was her real father, but didn't believe it until she saw evidence. Although . . . she did seem pretty shocked when she saw that old picture of him and their mum . . .

message 10: by Suzy (new)

Suzy | 22 comments I think that we are going way too deep into this, we're probably making it out to be alot more difficult than it actually is lol!

message 11: by Sophie, The Joker (new)

Sophie | 1253 comments Thats the fun of it!! Hee hee

message 12: by Emy (new)

Emy Ya! The fun! :)

message 13: by Suzy (new)

Suzy | 22 comments Totally haha! I'm still waiting on books 5, 6 and 8 to arrive :(

message 14: by Daisy, The Brains (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments suzy wrote: "I think that we are going way too deep into this, we're probably making it out to be alot more difficult than it actually is lol!"

lol!

What do you mean your waiting for 5, 6 and 8 though suzy? What about 7?!

message 15: by Suzy (new)

Suzy | 22 comments Daisy wrote: lol!

What do you mean your waiting for 5, 6 and 8 t..."

I have 7 sitting in my room because it was already in the library and I'm still waiting on the other 3 :(

message 16: by Emy (new)

Emy Hope you get the books faster, Suzy

message 17: by Suzy (new)

Suzy | 22 comments Emy wrote: "Hope you get the books faster, Suzy"

Me too! I'm dead excited to see what happens next! (did you see what I did there?;) )

message 18: by Daisy, The Brains (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments lol! I bet you'll really like the next few ones suzy, they're really good. Won't spoiler you but we meet Jackson (a really cool character ;) ) in the fifth one and the sixth one is one of my favourites in the whole series. Good luck on them arriving soon!

message 19: by Suzy (new)

Suzy | 22 comments Book 7 is just laughing at me from my bookshelf :(, they need to get here quick!!

message 20: by Daisy, The Brains (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments Poor you :)

message 21: by Light (new)

Light | 42 comments I nearly read it in just 2 days really like it and want to read more in this series :)

message 22: by Suzy (new)

Suzy | 22 comments I read the first 4 in one day haha!

message 23: by Sophie, The Joker (new)

Sophie | 1253 comments I know, they're so addictive!

And, welcome to the group Flowra :)

message 24: by Light (new)

Light | 42 comments @suzanne , really!!! Excellent :)
@ Sophie , thanks Sophie :)

message 25: by Daisy, The Brains (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments Hi, Flowra, welcome!

Wow, that is pretty impressive, suzanne! I agree with Sophie; they are addictive!

message 26: by Suzy (new)

Suzy | 22 comments They're only 200+ pages long so it's not that hard to read, especially since they are that good!

message 27: by Light (new)

Light | 42 comments thanks Daisy , I am so happy to be hear :)
yes they are addictive every time I open the computer to study but I said let's read some pages first and that ending by not studying and reading as I could :))

message 28: by Daisy, The Brains (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments Lol, Flowra! I do that all the time.

message 29: by Light (new)

Light | 42 comments @Daisy , so our future in dangerous :D
but I 'll "in fact I have to :))" wait till next Wednesday to go to library and get Love Bites

Did you finish all the parts of the series ?

message 30: by Sophie, The Joker (new)

Sophie | 1253 comments I have, I have!

message 31: by Daisy, The Brains (last edited Aug 17, 2014 09:30AM) (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments Yeah, I've read all up to Fashion Frightmare (MSTV #16) which, as far as we know, is the most recent to be released. Hope you enjoy Love Bites when you get it!

message 32: by Light (new)

Light | 42 comments I want to ask you is there a book named Date With Destiny in this series because I found one in the library website but can't find it here in good reads

message 33: by Sophie, The Joker (last edited Aug 18, 2014 12:31AM) (new)

Sophie | 1253 comments Daisy will answer your question thoroughly (she knows the titles and order better than me) but I know that some of the books have been published under more than one name. Date with Destiny is a MSTV book but depending on where you are it might not be called that. I think its called Bite Night somewhere. Here it is on goodreads...

Date with Destiny (My Sister the Vampire) by Sienna Mercer

message 34: by Daisy, The Brains (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments Couldn't have put it better, Sophie! I think you're right about it being called Bite Night on some editions - weird! I'll tell you what's weirder though, the 11th book, Flying Solo is also called Vampire School Dropout? (the question mark is part of the title) in some versions. I don't know about you, but I thought the name was really lame!

message 35: by Light (new)

Light | 42 comments aha thanks girls , now I get it :)

And unfortunately I didn't find Love bites in library :( so I got flying solo instead hoping that I don't miss too much :)

message 36: by Daisy, The Brains (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments Aw, shame, it's so annoying when the library doesn't have all the books in a series. Er, I think you might have missed quite a lot... oh well, you'll probably still be able to enjoy it even if you don't fully understand what's going on. The first time I read it I read the third and fourth in the wrong order and was a bit confused but loved it anyway!

message 37: by Light (new)

Light | 42 comments I did like you too I read the first then fifth then I got what between :D

message 38: by Suzy (new)

Suzy | 22 comments That's what happened with me. When I couldn't get the 9th book though I just stopped all together. Didn't want to get into it only to not be able to continue so I will be waiting until I buy the whole series. :)

message 39: by Daisy, The Brains (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments Sounds like a good plan, suzanne. (the rhyme was unintentional!)

message 40: by Suzy (new)

Suzy | 22 comments Why you gotta be so ruuude? ;)

I have to go back to school tomorrow, ahhh. sorry that was nothing to do with MSTV lol!

message 41: by Daisy, The Brains (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments Sorry, wasn't meaning to be rude, dude. (sorry, couldn't resist!)

Aw, poor you. :(

message 42: by Sophie, The Joker (new)

Sophie | 1253 comments School. :(

message 43: by Suzy (new)

Suzy | 22 comments The song by Magic! went through my head when I read your comment so I wrote that haha. And yeah I know.. It's my last year so it's allllll good ;)

message 44: by Daisy, The Brains (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments Hmm, never heard that song... we are so going off subject here!

message 45: by Sophie, The Joker (new)

Sophie | 1253 comments Never heard that song. Is it long? (This is so hard to stop!)

message 46: by Daisy, The Brains (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments Omg, Soph that was a lame rhyme. Should've done your 'school tomorrow drown in sorrow' one (she told me about it in real life).

message 47: by Suzy (new)

Suzy | 22 comments Nope, it's really good! Anywayyyy, gotta go, need to be up at 6, night! Message me tomorrow both of you?? :) Nice to have friends on this!

message 48: by Sophie, The Joker (new)

Sophie | 1253 comments Night suzy! Sweet dreams :D

message 49: by Daisy, The Brains (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments Sure, will do. Night!

message 50: by Sophie, The Joker (last edited Oct 02, 2017 08:33AM) (new)

Sophie | 1253 comments This book is so lovely! :') Definitely shed a tear towards the end even on my millionth re-read, ok it's not that many but it's a lot!

Something I particularly noticed this time around is the different dynamic between all of the characters. It's not just Ivy interacting with her group of friends and family and Olivia with hers. Almost every character will talk to one another at some point during this series and I really appreciate the chance that gives us to see all different sorts of relationships. The friendship feels from Operation FANGED (Friends Against Needlessly Going to Europe), Ivy, Olivia, Sophia, Camilla and Brendan all working together, was too much. I seriously love these characters. For some reason this quote stuck out to me from near the beginning:
Suddenly, a pink-nailed hand reached out and pulled Ivy behind the greenery. Olivia was huddled back there with Camilla.
"Did you tell her?" Ivy and Olivia asked each other at the same time. They nodded to each other and then had a big group hug.
"Congratulations on finding your father," Camilla grinned at Ivy.
"Can you believe that, this whole time, their real dad's been right in front of them?" Sophia asked excitedly to Camilla, who shook her head in disbelief.
Makes me so happy to see Sophia and Camilla hanging out and working together in this book when earlier in the series Sophia looked down on the bunnies. So much growth and stereotype smashing, I love it!

This book weaved the studying and exams quite nicely into the story when it wasn't part of the story line! Something cool to see in middle grade when often the kids just go on an adventure and totally abandon their old lives. It mentioned the social studies mid-term exam quite a few times and in one scene it even intertwined with the main storyline:
"Social studies!" exclaimed Sophia suddenly. "That's how we'll keep Mr Vega in Franklin Grove!" [...] "We just did a whole unit on the Civil Rights Movement, and we had to watch part of that movie Gandhi. There's only one way to successfully fight the blatant injustice of racism, British colonial rule, or being forced to move to Europe!"
"And that would be...?" Brendan said cluelessly.
"Passive resistance!" blurted Sophia. She looked around excitedly.
"I should've known that!" Brendan slapped his head with his palm. "I am seriously going to fail this midterm."
I love Ivy and Mrs Abbott's relationship. "It wouldn't be such a stake in the heart to spend some more time at your house. I'm starting to feel like Audrey Abbott's my mom, too." I'm looking forward to seeing even more of all the parents throughout the series.

I remembered that Ivy put on a play with Casey and Stacey but I didn't remember it was so good! I forgot Mr Abbott was in it and that the girls rescued themselves from the evil wizard after they got impatient waiting for the princes to rescue them. Brilliant!

I noticed something really small that I want to unpack and discuss (what's new?). First read this...
Watching Ivy pick at a patty of raw ground beef while she had tuna salad, Olivia couldn't help marveling at the differences between the two of them - and how close they'd become.
... Wasn't Olivia vegetarian? Hmm, I mean years ago I was 'vegetarian' and eat fish so I guess it's quite common!? So weird though. Also earlier in the book Charles served Olivia (disguised as Ivy) some blood pudding which she only managed to avoid eating because he went to answer the phone and she slipped it in the bin.
Her fork was still poised before her lips, with the same tiny chunk of black pudding on it. She kept trying to psyche herself up into putting the stuff into her mouth. Mr Vega's going to get suspicious, she thought desperately. I'll have to do it now.
It's implied that she was going to eat it until he went out the room. Why do you think Olivia is vegetarian? Just because she finds meat gross I guess though I always imagined it was something deeper than that. I guess it makes it easier for her to be around Ivy eating chunks of meat if it's not because of ethical reasons. I'm over-thinking this so much, haha.

Vampalicious is not one of my favourites of the series. Quite a lot of conflict what with Ivy and her dad moving to Europe and Charles ignoring Olivia. Also I find the Alice story line sort of awkward to read. Still, I loved it!

« previous 1