Where's George? Readers discussion

Monthly Updates > What are you reading? May 2014

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill (new)

Bill | 192 comments With the recent canonization of two popes, it seems as good a time as any to read The Pope and Mussolini The Secret History of Pius XI and the Rise of Fascism in Europe by David I. Kertzer . Being half Italian, and growing up Catholic, I was aware of some of this story from older family members.

message 2: by Luke (new)

Luke (lbrown) | 5 comments The Story of Charlotte's Web: EB White's eccentric life in nature and the birth of an American classic by Michael Sims; and The Revelation to John by Martin Franzman, a short but clear commentary on Revelation. Both very fine books

message 3: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 372 comments Mod
I'm about to finish A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole.

message 4: by Mike (new)

Mike (mikekeating) I've been rereading the Wheel of Time books. Still about 1/4 through book one.

message 5: by Melanie (last edited May 16, 2014 08:26AM) (new)

A Confederacy of Dunces was finished earlier this week. Interesting book, but I could not stand the main character. I felt bad for everyone around him.

Somebody Is Going to Die If Lilly Beth Doesn't Catch That Bouquet: The Official Southern Ladies' Guide to Hosting the Perfect Wedding this was a recommendation from a librarian. I probably would have had more fun with the funeral book, but very happy that others don't like the unity candle. A funny look at wedding - their focus is Southern, but fits most places.

message 6: by Bill (new)

Bill | 192 comments I generally don't read 2 non-fiction books back to back, but since I'm having a colonoscopy soon this seemed like a time for a humorous look at the digestive system! Gulp Adventures on the Alimentary Canal by Mary Roach

message 7: by Ronald (new)

Ronald | 159 comments Mod
Drat, Goodreads lost my post (I wonder if it will appear in the future?).

Anyway - About to start reading Raising Steam by Terry Pratchett. I have had this book a while now but have procrastinated about reading it. The reviews make this book sound like his last Discworld book. No one this smart and creative should suffer from Alzheimer's disease.

message 8: by Melanie (new)

Nineteen Minutes was started last Friday, and I'm enjoying it. However, I sat it down and my quick look around this morning I couldn't find it. So I picked up a copy of Matilda from a Free Little Library. I like to mix up my reading, and I do want to read some of those children's classes I never read or can't remember reading. Sometimes it is nice to have have a quick light read. Especially when reading something as heavy as 19 Minutes which is about a school shooting.

message 9: by Bill (new)

Bill | 192 comments I've had The Lovers of Algeria A Novel by Anouar Benmalek on my "To Read" shelf for some time. Here goes.

message 10: by Melanie (new)

Just finished Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult and highly recommend it. I'm just getting ready to state Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford and the Complete Book of Women's Running.

message 11: by Melanie (new)

Just finished Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, and I feel like I just lost a best friend. It is a beautiful story taking place mainly in 1942 and 1986. Love, frienship, family pride, national pride, Japanese internment, broken records, and wonderful characters. I loved this book.

message 12: by Bill (new)

Bill | 192 comments Melanie wrote: "Just finished Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, and I feel like I just lost a best friend. It is a beautiful story taking place mainly in 1942 and 1986. Love, frienship, fam..."

This book was on my "Recommendations" for quite awhile before I deleted it. Not that it didn't look interesting, I just had other books lined up. Based on your recommendation I will definitely give it a shot!