Goodreads Sci-Fi/Fantasy Authors discussion

Reading Recommendations > Books that combine sci-fi with fantasy?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Kevis (last edited Jul 23, 2009 04:59PM) (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) | 71 comments Hi Nicole,

I'm not certain if what you're really looking for is Steampunk, Science-Fantasy, or even Space Opera which can sometimes also feature elements of fantasy and science fiction. But here are a few suggestions you may want to check out:

1. Chronicles of Amber series by Roger Zelazny (science-fantasy)

2. Perdido Street Station by China Miéville (Steampunk)

3. Darkover series by Marion Zimmer Bradley

message 3: by Malin (new)

Malin (Tusenord) I would suggest Mercedes Lackey, but that's more of stories with magic in our modern world or a less old version of it. Not much actually sci-fi in the ones I've read.

Oh, and I love Artemis Fowl.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) IMO, the king of mixing SF with fantasy was Roger Zelazny.
Jack of Shadows is a world of a light side ruled by science & a dark side ruled by magic.
Donnerjack is a virtual world created by computer science that may be much older than we think.
Eye of Cat has an Indian hunting down an alien.
Isle of the Dead & To Die In Italbar has humans in the future working with alien gods.
Creatures of Light and Darkness is... very interesting. I'm not really sure how to describe it.

message 5: by Kevis (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) | 71 comments Nicole,

Looks like you have some excellent book recommendations. I'm already curious about your book. Are you planning to self publish it? Or are you going to look for a traditional publisher?

message 6: by Alan (new)

Alan Baxter | 62 comments I have a free novella that combines sci-fi and fantasy if anyone's interested to check that out. It's a fairly quick read (around 30,000 words) and free as an ebook from Smashwords - https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...

Love to hear what anyone thinks.

message 7: by Kevis (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) | 71 comments Nicole wrote: "Kevis,
I will probably spend a considerable amount of time trying to get it traditionally published.

The recommendations that were made were extremely helpful. One book just came to mind, the ..."

Nicole,

His Dark Materials is an excellent example of what you're looking for. Since it's one of my favorite trilogy of books, I don't know how it slipped my mind. But I am sure you'll enjoy it. And good luck with your story. Hope to be reading it one day soon!

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann Hutchinson (clevergirl) | 5 comments Tim Powers, Neal Stephenson, David Brin and Gregory Frost have all mixed the two in at least one of their books.

message 9: by Kevis (last edited Jul 25, 2009 04:06PM) (new)

Just curious. When you get your book published, do you you intend to use a pen name or your real name? I'd love to keep an eye out for your book when it's published. ;)

message 10: by Kevis (last edited Jul 25, 2009 04:24PM) (new)

Well, if a publisher/agent decides to give you a pen name, let's just hope it's a good one. I'd dread to see your book cover featuring the name Q.S.R. Cuthbert. Trust me, authors have been known to get a raw deal with their pen names!

BTW, I checked out your profile. I love your 5 star rating. The description for the 1 star books had me laughing hysterically. Touche!

message 11: by Kevis (new)

I didn't notice the addition. But I'm flattered that you've added my book to your TBR list. I will certainly reciprocate the moment you are ready to let the world see what you have in store for us. Can't wait. ;)

message 12: by Alan (new)

Alan Baxter | 62 comments Nicole - thanks! Be sure to let me know what you think.

I read the Dark Materials Trilogy a couple of years ago and really enjoyed that. After many people recommending Mieville to me, I picked up Perdido Street Station recently too, so will read that when time allows.

message 13: by Kevis (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) | 71 comments Nicole wrote: "Kevis wrote: "Nicole,

I didn't notice the addition. But I'm flattered that you've added my book to your TBR list. I will certainly reciprocate the moment you are ready to let the world see what yo..."

Nicole,

A simple question deserves a simple anwser. But technically, The Legend of Witch Bane is available everywhere. I don't think I've seen an online store that didn't sell it. So if you are interested in checking it out you can take your pick, but I usually send my readers to Amazon. If you're not a fan of Amazon, then BarnesandNobles has it also. Thanks for the interest.

message 14: by Alan (new)

Alan Baxter | 62 comments Nicole wrote: "Alan wrote: "Nicole - thanks! Be sure to let me know what you think.

I read the Dark Materials Trilogy a couple of years ago and really enjoyed that. After many people recommending Mieville to me,..."

I didn't know until after I bought it that Mieville wrote steampunk. However, having never read any before I thought that maybe this would be a good way to try it.

I must admit that the steampunk concept doesn't really grab me - I'm a bit mystified as to why it is so popular. But Mieville is reported to be a really great writer, so if I'm going to try steampunk I'll try his!