Audiobooks discussion

Archives > iOS App

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brandt (new)

Brandt | 3 comments Long time member, lover of audible here.

But, for the love of all things holy, why can't there be skip back AND skip forward buttons on the iPad app? At least on the iPhone you can use hands free mode (with your hand, btw) to jump forward.

Please pass this request up the chain. You guys either have engineers, or management calling the shots on the mobile apps, surely Amazon can foot the bill for a UX hire!

Audible Support (audible_com) | 260 comments Brandt wrote: "Long time member, lover of audible here.

But, for the love of all things holy, why can't there be skip back AND skip forward buttons on the iPad app? At least on the iPhone you can use hands free..."

Hey Brandt,

Thank you for your support! We will forward your suggestion for the iPad app to our mobile team. Hopefully, this feature will be added in the future.

Thanks for your patience.

message 3: by Hunchback Jack (new)

Hunchback Jack | 536 comments So I love the recent improvements in the audible ios app.

Downloading books as a single file - yes! Given that the file are chaptered, I've never needed multiple audio files.

Having forward and back controls skip 30 seconds instead of chapters - yes! It works with bluetooth controllers and wired earphones too, which is perfect for the car or when I need a quick recap of the last few sentences.

But I agree with the previous post. Please add a way to skip forward as well as back through he app itself.

HBJ

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Exact same problems as Joy. Thanks, Joy, for pointing this out! I am using a year-old iPad Air, running iOS 8, in case Audible is interested.

message 5: by Tjo (new)

Tjo | 56 comments Same here, and also new with the latest update. The app also seems to run more slowly and download audiobooks more slowly.

Audible Support (audible_com) | 260 comments Joy wrote: "When I open the Audible app it comes up saying "No titles available". Then it finishes loading and shows my titles.

Also sometimes when I pause a book and do other things with my phone, when I go..."

Hey Joy,

We just released v. 2.2.2 yesterday. If you haven't done so already, can you update to this new version and let us know if you continue to receive this error message.

Let us know!

message 7: by JoAnn (new)

JoAnn | 8 comments I used an audible credit yesterday and when I downloaded the new book to my iPhone using the audible app, I noticed that my entire library had disappeared! The only book showing up on the app today is the one I downloaded yesterday and I still don't seem to be able to get any of my other titles back. They appear on my laptop when I go to the audible website. I know the app updated yesterday.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions?

message 8: by JoAnn (new)

JoAnn | 8 comments JoAnn wrote: "I used an audible credit yesterday and when I downloaded the new book to my iPhone using the audible app, I noticed that my entire library had disappeared! The only book showing up on the app today..."

Never mind ... my heart stopped for a while there, but they are all back now. So relieved!

message 9: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 946 comments My iPhone automatically downloaded the update and it's still giving me the message that there are no titles available, and then it loads the titles.

One thing I've noticed as well, is that before the recent updates, if I plugged my iPhone into the car using the usb port, it would automatically start to play. If I turned the vehicle off leaving the phone plugged it, it would automatically start playing when I started the vehicle up. Now, it no longer starts to play until I touch the play button. I don't like this change.

message 10: by Lady Wesley (new)

Lady Wesley (goodreadscomlady_wesley) | 4 comments I loaded v. 2.3 on my iPhone last night and today the app won't load. This is the first time I've ever had any trouble with the audible app. Suggestions for a fix would be appreciated.

message 11: by Drew (new)

Drew | 45 comments Jo wrote: "The app now saves stats to the cloud! I've wanted this for a long time. And it only takes 500 hours to get to the Master level."

I saw that and I thought WOO HOO, then I went and looked at my stats and it said total hours 14 and thought, well that's not helpful.

message 12: by Audible Support (new)

Audible Support (audible_com) | 260 comments Lady Wesley wrote: "I loaded v. 2.3 on my iPhone last night and today the app won't load. This is the first time I've ever had any trouble with the audible app. Suggestions for a fix would be appreciated."

Hey Lady,

We're sorry the app is crashing. We released v.2.3.1 to fix this issue and it's now available for update. Please update to this version when you get a chance.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1546 comments My Audible app on both my Windows phone and my Ipod touch keeps having issues this last 1- weeks. When I open it, it freezes or often the whole app itself just closes. It must be the App itself because it is happening on 2 different devices. I normally love the App and use it daily on both devices so I hope this gets fixed.

message 14: by David S. T. (new)

David S. T. | 8 comments Are people happy with these easier achievements? Since we're saved across devices, I'd rather have much harder achievements. Why make the master level only 500 hours now?

message 15: by Drew (new)

Drew | 45 comments Does anyone have issues with the app not tracking listening time? I've been listening a couple of times when I check the timer and it says my listening time was 0 for the day.

message 16: by David S. T. (new)

David S. T. | 8 comments Yes, I've started to stop looking at my listening stats since they're frequently so far off.

message 17: by Audible Support (new)

Audible Support (audible_com) | 260 comments Heidi (Yup. Still here.) wrote: "My Audible app on both my Windows phone and my Ipod touch keeps having issues this last 1- weeks. When I open it, it freezes or often the whole app itself just closes. It must be the App itself b..."

Hey Heidi,

So sorry for the issues you've experienced with our app. We are working on a long-awaited WP app and hope to have it available soon.

In the meantime, we have updated the iOS app. May we ask what version of the iOS app do you have installed?

message 18: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (Kelnyg) | 15 comments Has anyone else been having problems with the app freezing?

Since the last update I've had a few instances. Pressing pause and it keeps playing and even closing the app yet it still keeps playing. Then also issues with the app just stopping playing mid listen with no explanation and unable to close the app. It's all very odd and frustrating.

message 19: by Robert (last edited Dec 22, 2014 11:14AM) (new)

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 2 comments I've been having an issue since 2.0 (I just updated to 2.3.1 today and am still having it) that when I play in my car, and I get back in after having shut off the car (unless it's just a couple of minutes), the audible app has closed, so it starts playing music.

I have an older 4th-gen touch I inherited from my son, and my suspicion is that the newer app is large enough, and the RAM in that model small enough, that iOS is terminating the app. That would definitely explain why it started happening much more often with 2.0.

I emailed Audible support, and they recommended signing out, rebooting the iPod, then signing back in again. That worked for a few days the first time, but now it doesn't seem to help. I've tried turning off audio power before turning off the car, and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I loved having the touch when it worked, but I'm just about to give up and switch back to my old nano, because at least I only had to press play to get it going again, not restart an app. But I love being able to download directly in the app instead of needing to have a computer in the loop.

Anyone else seeing this issue? Any suggestions other than buying a newer iPod with more RAM? :-)

Thanks!

message 20: by Hunchback Jack (new)

Hunchback Jack | 536 comments I love the ios app - it's my choice for listening to all audiobooks, and I appreciate the improvements on each release.

In the last couple of releases, however, the app doesn't track listening time for non audible titles. This would happen occasionally in previous releases, but now it seems to have stopped tracking it altogether.

While most (>80%) of my audiobooks are audible titles, it would be nice to have non audible listening time tracked as well. I am a big fan of the stats, and they are one reason I want to use the app for all titles.

message 21: by Robert (new)

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 2 comments As a followup, I can confirm that a newer iPod Touch (latest generation, with more RAM) runs the Audible app flawlessly in my car. We got my daughter an iPhone for Christmas, which obsoleted her newer touch, and I'm the lucky beneficiary, since no one else in the family had a use for it. :-)

I suppose it's possible there's some other variable at work between the 2, like the iOS version, that explains the behavior. But it's normal for new features to lead to a larger memory footprint, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if the RAM actually is the issue.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1546 comments Audible.com wrote: "Heidi (Yup. Still here.) wrote: "My Audible app on both my Windows phone and my Ipod touch keeps having issues this last 1- weeks. When I open it, it freezes or often the whole app itself just cl..."

Hello. I actually switched to a new Android phone and the Audible App works well with it so far. I was using a Windows 8 phone before. My Ipod Audible App seems to be working better now was well. Thanks!

message 23: by Susan (new)

Susan (suze0501) | 37 comments Robert, can I ask which iPod touch you have? My much loved Classic is dying, and I'm currently wondering whether to invest in a touch? Also, how long does the battery run from full charge if using for audio only, and how long does charge take? Your advice much appreciated

message 24: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments Susan wrote: "Robert, can I ask which iPod touch you have? My much loved Classic is dying, and I'm currently wondering whether to invest in a touch? Also, how long does the battery run from full charge if usin..."

My husband is kicking himself for not buying another Classic before Apple stopped making them. He loves his (one of the very first ones they made), but the battery life isn't what it used to be.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1546 comments Susan I am not Robert but I can tell you that my Ipod touch 4th gen battery lasts days as long as I barely use wi-fi and just listen to audiobooks. I only need to charge it about once per week and I use it for audiobooks and light wifi web searching. We used to have 2 classic Ipods but their batteries seemed to dwindle fast. I like my touch much better.

message 26: by Casseroll (new)

Casseroll | 45 comments My current touch is 4th or 5th -----I got it last month---- and the battery lasts soooooooo long. Days depending on your activities. Comes with a wristband now. New one is great!

message 27: by Susan (new)

Susan (suze0501) | 37 comments Okay guys - thanks for all that. I'm still mourning the beloved Classic - but I think I'm off to Amazon now to order a Touch :))

message 28: by Tjo (last edited Jan 07, 2015 08:38PM) (new)

Tjo | 56 comments I don't know if I am the only one with this problem, but the iOS Audible app is repeatedly crashing for me when I finish a book and it tries to load the review screen.

The last two times I had to uninstall the app and reinstall in order to get it to work again. Now it just happened again after just this morning I finally finished re-downloading all my TBR books and re-marking all my read books as finished. Since I am a high-volume audiobook consumer, there are LOTS in both categories.

I think this may be related to me having some books from an old Audible account downloaded alongside books from a new account. All three times this has happened (I think, not 100% sure about the first time), I have finished a book from the old account while logged into the new account.

I would MUCH rather be able to turn off the iOS review feature (which is mildly helpful), rather than repeatedly endure this (which is seriously annoying).

Audible or anyone else, can you help or offer advice? Will this be fixed in a future update?