2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

Life After Life (Todd Family, #1)
This topic is about Life After Life
ARCHIVE 2014 > Life After Life: Reviews by 2014 Reading Challengers

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kara, TBR Twins (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3965 comments Once you've read the book (or if you already have), drop in here and let us know what you thought of it. These can be formal reviews you've written or just your general thoughts.

Please mark your spoilers.

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan What is a spoiler, I'm new and have not participated before.

message 3: by Kara, TBR Twins (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3965 comments Susan, a spoiler is when you give away a plot piece in the book--something that a reader is supposed to be surprised by.

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan Thanks!

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 773 comments I read this Life After Life back in October 2013. Overall I liked it, though I rated it 3 stars. The reason for that rating is explained in my review, which I suggest not be read until you've finished the book yourself.

(view spoiler)

message 6: by Megan, Challenges (new) - rated it 4 stars

Megan (lahairoi) | 6304 comments Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. This book was so thought-provoking and intriguing, I had difficulty putting it down! The writing was beautifully descriptive, the characters engaging, and the plot constantly moving. I did not particularly care for the final ending, but that was the only mark on this excellent book. Definitely worth reading. 4.5 stars

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Just downloaded the book. Can't wait to start reading!

Valerie (nicehotcupoftea) | 150 comments I enjoyed the descriptive writing in this book and also liked reading details about the war and life in England. Unfortunately I felt that the plot device of rebirth was a bit silly and gimmicky.

Lisa | 2 comments Just finished the book. Overall liked the unusual concept, but was a little disappointed by the ending.

Albany (albanycarmona) It has an interesting premise but it's far from original. The idea that one could life over and over again in order to try and perfect the results isn't something brand new but it's still a fun read. I thought it was interesting to note how Ursula's life can be changed but the people around her seem to follow the same pattern as always. The fact that the author bases it around World War II adds a nice touch. All in all, a good read. 3 stars

Renee (renee255) | 23 comments I just finished reading Life After Life by Kate Atkinson and I really liked the book overall. I was disappointed with the ending.

message 12: by Caro (new) - rated it 3 stars

Caro (karopi) | 970 comments I started the book. page 126 kind of give up, not sure if I will finished, probably someday i will, I always have to finish a book once I started but is not my type of book, feel disappointed... Wasted money and time on this...

message 13: by Kara, TBR Twins (last edited May 26, 2014 08:52AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3965 comments Three of five stars for me.

I really wanted to love this one. The premise was fascinating: Ursula Todd lives her life over and over again until she gets it right. It's a serious, war-torn Groundhog Day.

I understand that the book is about war and death and that books about war and death are supposed to be somber. But I couldn't find an ounce of joy. (I take that back. I smiled to myself when I read, "Kittens were in continual abundance on the farm, there was a kind of kitten currency in the neighborhood, they were bartered for all kinds of emotional regret or fulfillment by parents--a doll lost, an exam passed." But really. THAT was the bright spot in the book for me.) And beyond just not having joy, there was little thrill.

The book was heavy. And tedious in its heaviness. Parts of it were beautiful, and I did care about the characters, and I did almost cry a couple of times. But it finished, and now, rather than feeling more complete, I feel a little emptier. That's not really what I want out of a book.

Review located here.

Cherise (inkdrinkingmoth) My brother got me this for Christmas this year and I really loved it. I'm so happy to see the group read it (I've been so caught up in trying to finish my list of 'currently reading' that I've gone into a shell of not being able to take part in things like group things). It was one of my favourites that I've read this year so far and happy that the author was able to keep the rhythm of constant switch in events/times without losing the reader or no growth within the story. I was sad when it ended and really struggled to find a book after, though it was also sort of a weight off my shoulders and I remember just wanting to be done with it already near the end, though when it did end, I was left feeling a bit like someone pulled a thread I had been holding onto. But I'll leave it at that seeing as it was such a long time ago since I read it myself.