College Students! discussion

Past Discussions of Group Reads > June Group Reads Nominations

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
For June we are going to have a category 1 anything goes book and our category 2 is "Travel".

-Only one nomination per person and you must choose one category. If all 12 spots in one category are not filled by May 10th, you can nominate a book for the other category.

-Please specify which category you are nominating for. (Cat 1 or Cat 2) Your post should look something like this:

Category 1: "This Book" by An Author

- Please make sure you have the book and author in your nomination

- Add a blurb of some sort to let us know what the book will be like.

-We will be taking the first 12 nominations for each category or we will close nominations on May 20th if not all categories are filled.

-Voting will begin soon after nominations are done and will be open for a week or so.

- If your book wins, please let us know whether or not you would like to lead the book discussion. It is not required by any means that you lead it.

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Lauren (ashleyllauren) Category two: Tracks: A Woman's Solo Trek Across 1700 Miles of Australian Outback by Robyn Davidson

I am a huge fan of women travelers (being one myself, of course) and am always looking to read about other women off on adventures. This is apparently being made into a movie sometime soon, as well!

Here's the goodreads blurb:

""I experienced that sinking feeling you get when you know you have conned yourself into doing something difficult and there's no going back." So begins Robyn Davidson's perilous journey across 1,700 miles of hostile Australian desert to the sea with only four camels and a dog for company.

Enduring sweltering heat, fending off poisonous snakes and lecherous men, chasing her camels when they get skittish and nursing them when they are injured, Davidson emerges as an extraordinarily courageous heroine driven by a love of Australia's landscape, an empathy for its indigenous people, and a willingness to cast away the trappings of her former identity. Tracks is the compelling, candid story of her odyssey of discovery and transformation."

message 3: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Any last minute nominations? I will post polls (if needed) Wednesday.

message 4: by Nicki (new)

Nicki (ophia) | 85 comments Today is the 19th so I'll nominate for both. If this isn't ok let me know.

Category 2: Paper Towns
Goodreads: Two-time Printz Medalist John Green’s New York Times bestseller, now in paperback!

Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life — dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge — he follows.

After their all-nighter ends and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues — and they’re for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees of the girl he thought he knew.

message 5: by Nicki (new)

Nicki (ophia) | 85 comments Category 1: The Bell Jar

A Special Paperback Edition to Commemorate the Fiftieth Anniversary of the Publication of Sylvia Plath's Remarkable Novel

Sylvia Plath's shocking, realistic, and intensely emotional novel about a woman falling into the grip of insanity

Esther Greenwood is brilliant, beautiful, enormously talented, and successful, but slowly going under—maybe for the last time. In her acclaimed and enduring masterwork, Sylvia Plath brilliantly draws the reader into Esther's breakdown with such intensity that her insanity becomes palpably real, even rational—as accessible an experience as going to the movies. A deep penetration into the darkest and most harrowing corners of the human psyche, The Bell Jar is an extraordinary accomplishment and a haunting American classic.

message 6: by Nicki (new)

Nicki (ophia) | 85 comments Never mind. We've read The Bell Jar

message 7: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Davis | 16 comments Category 2: The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Clare and Henry have known each other since Clare was six and Henry was thirty-six, and were married when Clare was twenty-three and Henry thirty-one. They try to make their life together normal, which proves difficult due to the fact that Henry disappears spontaneously and without warning. His Chrono-Displacement Disorder causes his genetic clock to randomly reset and finds himself misplaced in time, pulled to moments of emotional gravity from his life, past and future.

(If you don't consider this travel, it may be nominated for Category 1)

message 8: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
nominations closed, polls open until May 31st

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 279 comments Anyone know how to get to the polls on an iPad? The link I normally use on the right side of the screen isn't there due to the layout.