Overdue Podcast discussion

Reading Along

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie (bookchew) | 5 comments Mod
How would you describe your reading habits when it comes to Overdue books? Do you try to read along with Craig and Andrew so that you've finished a book by the time a new episode comes out? Do you listen to episodes about books you haven't read yet, or do you only listen to episodes about books you already know in order to avoid spoilers? Maybe a mix of both?

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (bookwrm526) | 5 comments I discovered the podcast kind of recently. I listened to all the episodes about books I've already read, and now I'm reading and then listening....except for a few I refuse to read. Like, I read 50 Shades, but I refuse to read the other ones.

message 3: by Chelsey (new)

Chelsey (Desilusionada) | 7 comments I most enjoy the reviews of books I know and love. But re: my method, I try and listen to them in the order they are released and then if I'm caught up, I listen to older episodes of books that I'm interested in. I started listening around June of last year. Either I know I'm never going to read it (i.e. It) and want to know what it's about or I need a push to pick it up again or for the first time. I like to listen to the new ones first though for any interesting news and letters. I have yet to try and read along with them, but who knows, maybe if I get my TBR pile whittled down a bit I'll join them.

message 4: by Chelsey (new)

Chelsey (Desilusionada) | 7 comments I most enjoy the reviews of books I know and love. But re: my method, I try and listen to them in the order they are released and then if I'm caught up, I listen to older episodes of books that I'm interested in. I started listening around June of last year. Either I know I'm never going to read it (i.e. It) and want to know what it's about or I need a push to pick it up again or for the first time. I like to listen to the new ones first though for any interesting news and letters. I have yet to try and read along with them, but who knows, maybe if I get my TBR pile whittled down a bit I'll join them.

message 5: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (Sweetpea626) | 19 comments When I went through the backlog, I went for the books I'd read first. THEN I went for the books I thought were interesting. And THEN I started listening to everything else XD

If they read/review a book that sounds really good, I put it on my to-read list; I don't have the time/effort/energy to try for a weekly catch-up. Sometimes if it's a book I've been meaning to read for a while, I'll spring for it, but those instances are few and far between.

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (Lissyhead) | 47 comments I listen to whatever new episode comes out, then go back for ones I missed. I hit a few of my favorite books, then went back to episode 1 and listened in order, since sometimes they will reference another episode. Occasionally I'll skip one if I really don't want spoilers. But usually I don't care.

message 7: by Christina (new)

Christina (cjcourt) | 6 comments I listen regardless of whether I've read the book recently or intend to.

The episode about Disgruntled actually convinced me to try it (I'm a little tired of the semi-autobiographical coming of age novel) and it's very good.

message 8: by tysephine (new)

tysephine | 2 comments I started by listening to the books I have read, then chose the ones about booms I haven't read but either don't plan to read or do t plan to read any time soon. I skipped the ones I want to read on my own with no spoilers. Sometimes I have to skip the new ones if it's a book I haven't read but want to.

message 9: by Natalia (new)

Natalia | 4 comments I started with books I already knew and was interested to hear opinions on, and then I started venturing into books I had started but hadn't finished yet, for whatever reason, and now I am poking around some books I have either wanted to read or never heard of. It's been an interesting bag and I am most impressed by how they seem to know when to reveal the ending or not. For Tuck Everlasting, they do reveal the ending (because that isn't as important as the rest of it) but they didn't for Johannes Cabal, because that's part of the whole point of reading the story. I trust them to treat the material with sensitivity, even when they're joking, and to talk about it from a reader's perspective so I'm starting to listen to ones about books I have more active feelings for because I think it'll work out. Plus they have a really quirky perspective on some of the books that has nothing to do with the English Lit background I have, so it's fascinating to hear them talk about it from a purely reader, just looked something up on Wiki, perspective.

unread topics | mark unread