Read 100+ Books in 2014 discussion

May challenge

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 78 comments Mod
Sorry, I'm late with the topics. I got sick at the end of the month and just slept it away.

1. Read a book that has a Q in the title.
2. Read a book whose author's name has a Q in it.
3. Read the second book in the trilogy you started.
4. Read a book in a series you started but have not kept up.
5. Read a book that has a surname in it.
6. Read a book with a weird title.
7. Read a book about travel.
8. Read a book about home.
9. Your choice.

message 2: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 63 comments Sheila, I can't believe you don't have a Star Wars option for Star Wars day this month. Why are you not accomodating your geeky sister?

message 3: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 78 comments Mod
Colleen wrote: "Sheila, I can't believe you don't have a Star Wars option for Star Wars day this month. Why are you not accomodating your geeky sister?"

I didn't know but travel or your choice would cover it.

message 4: by Rachel (last edited Jun 01, 2014 07:16PM) (new)

Rachel 1. Read a book that has a Q in the title. Queen of Babble-Meg Cabot 5-30-14
2. Read a book whose author's name has a Q in it. N/A
3. Read the second book in the trilogy you started. Rise of a Hero-Hilary Bell 5-14-14
4. Read a book in a series you started but have not kept up. A Promise to Love-Serena B. Miller 5-28-14
5. Read a book that has a surname in it. The Emancipator's Wife A Novel of Mary Todd Lincoln-Barbara Hambly 5-26-14
6. Read a book with a weird title. A Day No Pigs Would Die-Robert Newton Peck 5-27-14
7. Read a book about travel. Forging the Sword-Hilari Bell 5-16-14 (I had to read the last of the trilogy so I could get it back to the library)
8. Read a book about home. The Yearling-Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings 5-12-14
9. Your choice. The Ladies' Paradise-Emile Zola 5-5-14, Under a Blackberry Moon-Serena B. Miller 5-30-14

message 5: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 63 comments Sheila wrote: "Colleen wrote: "Sheila, I can't believe you don't have a Star Wars option for Star Wars day this month. Why are you not accomodating your geeky sister?"

I didn't know but travel or your choice wo..."

Okay. I'll let you slide this year but next year?

message 6: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 63 comments Hey Sheila is Meg Cabot the Princess Diary lady?

message 7: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 78 comments Mod
Colleen wrote: "Hey Sheila is Meg Cabot the Princess Diary lady?"

Yes, she is.

message 8: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 78 comments Mod
Colleen wrote: "Sheila wrote: "Colleen wrote: "Sheila, I can't believe you don't have a Star Wars option for Star Wars day this month. Why are you not accomodating your geeky sister?"

I didn't know but travel or..."

I'll try to remember but you know I'm getting old.

message 9: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 78 comments Mod
Rachel wrote: "1. Read a book that has a Q in the title. Queen of Babble-Meg Cabot
3. Read the second book in the trilogy you started. Rise of a Hero-Hilary Bell
..."

Looks like some good reads here.

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel The Ladies' Paradise (Les Rougon-Macquart, #11) by Émile Zola 5-5-14
This is a really interesting novel about the beginning of big stores that sell many kinds of things versus small shops that sell just one kind. It focuses on one particular big store and how it drove the small shops out of business within ten years. It focused on a few particular people involved in the competition, especially the founder of The Ladies' Paradise and one particular salesgirl who rises in rank to department buyer despite difficulties in the beginning of her stint there. I really enjoyed it a lot.

message 11: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 98 comments Back from 3 weeks of camping with family & friends - visited 7 national parks touring the "Grand Circle."

1. Read a book that has a Q in the title.
"Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" by J.K. Rowlings.
9. Your choice.
"The Memory Keeper's Daughter" by Kim Edwards

message 12: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 63 comments So I finished "Death Star". It was a Star Wars book about the Death Star's construction from the side of those constructing it. It was interesting to see how the authors interfaced it with the original movie. Good book for a little light reading.

message 13: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 98 comments 1. Read a book that has a Q in the title.
9. Your choice.
"A Farewell to Arms" by Ernest Hemingway

message 14: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 98 comments Finished reading "The Memory Keeper's Daughter" by Kim Edwards.

Just started "A Farewell to Arms" by Ernest Hemingway, our book club selection for the month.

"1918 Ernest Hemingway went to war, to the 'war to end all wars'. He volunteered for ambulance service in Italy, was wounded and twice decorated. Out of his experiences came A Farewell to Arms. Hemingway's description of war is unforgettable. He recreates the fear, the comradeship, the courage of his young American volunteer and the men and women he meets in Italy with total conviction. But A Farewell to Arms is not only a novel of war. In it Hemingway has also created a love story of immense drama and uncompromising passion."

message 15: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 78 comments Mod
I loved The Memory Keeper's Daughter. I had the opportunity to meet her. The story is set in my hometown because her husband went to Pitt for school.

Welcome back! How was your vacation.

message 16: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 98 comments Sheila wrote: "I loved The Memory Keeper's Daughter. I had the opportunity to meet her. The story is set in my hometown because her husband went to Pitt for school.

Welcome back! How was your vacation."

Thanks so much! Vacation was wonderful! We traveled and camped "The Grand Circle" for 3 weeks - The Grand Canyon, Canyon de Chelly, Monument Valley, Arches National Park, Capitol Reef, Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park.

All the sights and scenery were simply amazing!

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Rachel The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings 5-12-14
This is an easy-going post Civil War children's classic set in Florida. The descriptions are very good, the characters are well drawn, and the dialect is written very well. The plot is a bit dull between the descriptions of the hunts, but it is a good coming-of-age story overall.

message 18: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 63 comments So I finished "The Wind in the Willow". It was a cute read. It's an easy going book that seems slow at some points. I'm moving on to the "Better Angels of our Nature".

message 19: by Rachel (last edited May 16, 2014 01:37PM) (new)

Rachel Rise of a Hero (The Farsala Trilogy, #2) by Hilari Bell 5-14-14

This was the second novel of this really interesting fantasy trilogy. It is a Persian-type setting. The characters were well drawn, the plot was interesting, and it sucked me into the world immediately. In this novel, some of the Farsalans took on much better qualities than were evident in the first novel. After the Hrum took out the arrogant upper class, the rest of the people were able to rise in resistance and were much more likable people. I really loved it and count it as another new favorite.

Forging the Sword (The Farsala Trilogy, #3) by Hilari Bell 5-16-14
This was the last novel of this really interesting fantasy trilogy. It is a Persian-type setting. The characters were well drawn, the plot was interesting, and it sucked me into the world immediately. In this novel, I really began to like the Farsalan resistance and was really pleased with some of the changes in the main characters. I really loved it and count it as another new favorite.

message 20: by Chuck (new)

"Lost" by Michael Robotham
9. Your choice.

message 21: by Chuck (last edited May 24, 2014 05:07AM) (new)

Chuck | 98 comments Finished "A Farewell to Arms" by Ernest Hemingway. After plodding through the 1st 2/3 of the story, I couldn't put the book down - 3.5/5 stars!

Now reading "Lost" by Michael Robotham.

"On a cold London night, homicide detective Vincent Ruiz is fished out of the Thames with a bullet in his leg and an even bigger hole in his memory. He has no recollection of the shooting or how he finished in the river. The only clue is a photograph found in his pocket of Mickey Carlyle, a seven-year-old girl who went missing three years earlier. A man was convicted of her murder.
But what if the police got it wrong? Ruiz's only hope of unravelling the puzzle is to retrace his steps and re-create the night of the shooting. Under investigation by his colleagues and accused of faking amnesia, he turns to Joe O'Loughlin, a clinical psychologist, who he hopes can unlock his memories. Step by step, they piece together a story of grief, vengeance, and the search for redemption."

message 22: by Chuck (new)

"Lost" by Michael Robotham
"Starfish Prime" by T.S. O'Neil
9. Your choice.

message 23: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 98 comments I finished reading Book 2 of the "Joe O'Laughlin" series yesterday afternoon, "Lost," 4/5 stars - Loved it! Great cast of characters!

Mow reading "Starfish Prime" by T.S. O'Neil.

"Michael Blackfox thought he'd left Marine Force Recon behind, but they had other ideas. The best trained man for a high risk mission is dead and Blackfox is uniquely qualified to be the heir apparent. The trouble is he and his father are currently fugitives on the run from the law. Marine Special Operations roughly brings Michael back into the fold, while allowing his father to be arrested and extradited. If Michael cooperates, the government will go easy on his dad. A Russian arms dealer recovers an ICBM from Iraq during the invasion and sells it to the Iranians. They commission him to reconfigure the missile as an electromagnetic pulse weapon that, if fired, will destroy all electronics in the United States--effectively plunging the country back to the nineteenth century. The launch pad and assembly building are deep within the Venezuelan jungle. The missile's telemetry system is hosted by a closed network. Michael's job is to parachute into the jungle with a team of Marine Special Operators, hack into the network and deliver a virus that will destroy the missile, while making it all look like an accident."

message 24: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 63 comments So I finished "The Better Angels of our Nature". It was a good civil war novel. I was little disappointed with the ending, especially since it had good characters and an interesting pacing and plot. Now I'm moving onto the book with a surname in the title "Judy Moody and the not bummer summer". Have a great Memorial Day.

message 25: by Sheila (last edited Jun 03, 2014 05:20PM) (new)

Sheila | 78 comments Mod
I keep promising myself I will put my books on Goodreads as I read them but then I pick up another book and am lost in its world. Well, here's what I've do so far for May.

7/9, 12 books

1. Read a book that has a Q in the title--The Wrong Quarry by Max Allan Collins--finished 5/21/14.
3. Read the second book in the trilogy you started--A Plain Scandal by Amanda Flowers--finished 5/7/14.
4. Read a book in a series you started but have not kept up--The Training by Tara Sue Me--finished 5/14/14.
5. Read a book that has a surname in it--A Vicky Hill Exclusive! by Hannah Dennison--finished 5/24/14.
7. Read a book about travel--Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand--finished 5/19/14.
8. Read a book about home--The Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman--finished 5/28/14.
9. Your choice--A Tale of Two Biddies by Kylie Logan--finished 5/13/14

Bonus Reads:
Michaela and the Professor Wolf by T. Lee Alexis--finished 5/19/14
My Wicked Valentine by Ann Mayburn--finished 5/21/14
Michaela and Her Three Bears by T. Lee Alexis--finished 5/20/14
Temptation's Edge by Eden Bradley/Eve Berlin--finished 6/1/14
Beta read--finished 5/15/14

message 26: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 78 comments Mod
So of the books I've read so far this month, my choice is Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. It is fantastic. It is the story of Louis Zempirini who ran middle distances in the 1936 Olympics then is drafted into WWII and shot down by the Japanese, caught, and placed in a POW camp. I felt like I was there. This is my pick for the month.

message 27: by Chuck (last edited May 26, 2014 05:10AM) (new)

Chuck | 98 comments Sheila wrote: "So of the books I've read so far this month, my choice is Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. It is fantastic. It is the story of Louis Zempirini who ran middle distances in the 1936 Olympics then is ..."

From the May 11, 2014 edition of the Los Angeles Times:

"Louis Zamperini, an Olympic athlete who went on to become a World War II hero and inspire a bestselling novel, has been named grand marshal of the 2015 Tournament of Roses Parade in Pasadena.

The 97-year-old war veteran's life demonstrates "the strength of human spirit," perfectly representing the parade's "Inspiring Stories" theme, said Tournament of Roses President Richard Chinen."He is the very definition of an inspiring story," Chinen said."

Amazing story!

message 28: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 78 comments Mod
Chuck wrote: "Sheila wrote: "So of the books I've read so far this month, my choice is Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. It is fantastic. It is the story of Louis Zempirini who ran middle distances in the 1936 Ol..."

He really did.

message 29: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 63 comments So I finished "Judy Moody and the not bummer summer". It was another cute kids book about what Judy did on her summer break. Cute read to kick off summer. I also finished "Legend" by Marie Lu. Very good book. I liked the characters and the situations but how many more post-apocalyptic America stories do we need.
Now I'm reading "William Shakespeare's Star Wars". Good so far.

message 30: by Rachel (new)

Rachel The Emancipator's Wife by Barbara Hambly 5-26-14
I really enjoyed this historical novel on the life of Mary Todd Lincoln. It is well written, and the characters are well drawn. It was interesting to read about her mental struggles as it is now believed that she was bipolar and likely had spring allergies causing severe headaches, and some historians also think she may have had minor diabetes symptoms as well, all of which would have been untreated at that time. All of these things added to the grief of losing 3 of her 4 sons to early death and the loss of her husband to an assassin's bullet would have been difficult for any one, and although given the time period, I'm not surprised her son was able to have her declared insane for a period of time, I don't believe the ruling was justified. She's a very interesting woman.

message 31: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A Day No Pigs Would Die by Robert Newton Peck 5-27-14
This was a well written simple children's novel about a Shaker boy and his pig. The characters are rather flat, but the plot does contain some hard issues in this "coming-of-age" story.

message 32: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A Promise to Love (Michigan Northwoods, #2) by Serena B. Miller 5-28-14
I really enjoyed this well written historical novel. The characters were well drawn and were interesting. The plot was both sweet and intense. It's definitely a new favorite.

message 33: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 63 comments I finished "William Shakespeare's Star Wars". I loved it. Great read for fans of both Shakespeare & Star Wars. Of course now I just want to act it out onstage. Moving on now to "Prodigy" to keep going in that trilogy.

message 34: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Under a Blackberry Moon (Michigan Northwoods, #3) by Serena B. Miller 5-30-14
I really enjoyed this well written historical novel. The characters were well drawn and were interesting. The plot was both sweet and intense. It's definitely a new favorite.

message 35: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Queen of Babble (Queen of Babble, #1) by Meg Cabot 5-30-14
This was a quick, funny read that has great characters, and it was fairly well written for chick lit. It's a bit vulgar in places though, which stole the fifth star.

message 36: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 63 comments So I finished "Prodigy" from the legend series. I liked it better than the first. I feel like the action picked up and the plot twisted more. Can't wait to finish the third.