SLCLS Genre Study discussion

Sci Fi Subgenres > Robots

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 37 comments The idea of robots and androids is represented in some of the oldest stories on earth: artificial intelligences in human shapes can be found in the legends and stories of ancient Greece and China, in Judaic tradition and Norse mythology. The word robot was introduced into the English language in 1920 via Karel Capek's play R.U.R.. Sometimes in stories they are our faithful servants or companions, sometimes our oppressors, but they usually give us insight into what it means to be human. What are your favorite stories with or about robots?

message 2: by Cherie (new)

Cherie Probably two of the most loveable robots are in the Star Wars trilogy--R2D2 and C3PO. I haven't read the books but I imagine they are in them also.

message 3: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Shidler | 25 comments I think probably the most famous robot book is I, Robot by Asimov. I think authors like to explore the very logical side of robots. I also enjoy Data from Star Trek because all though he's technically a robot his creator gave him more human understanding than I think most robots get

message 4: by Cara (new)

Cara | 49 comments So I read a book once called Caverns of Socrates by Dennis McKiernan, that I really liked. It is a robot story and yet not at all at the same time. In this book virtual reality gaming is a thing and there are groups that do this in competitions where they can win cash prizes. the book is about a group who agree to test a new VR game where they play against a computer run by an AI The book largely takes place inside the game which is a fantasy world with magic and elves and all the cliches, but then someone dies in the game and dies in real life, and the AI decides that he wnts to win.