Space Opera Fans discussion

CassaFire
This topic is about CassaFire
Previous BOTM Threads > [BOTM] - READER PICK - CassaFire by Alex J. Cavanaugh

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (last edited May 01, 2014 12:26PM) (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Cassafire by Alex J. Cavanaugh is our READER PICK for the Month of May.

Cassafire by Alex J. Cavanaugh Alex J. Cavanaugh

"The Vindicarn War is a distant memory and Byron's days of piloting Cosbolt fighters are over. Shuttle work is dull, but it's a free and solitary existence. The detection of alien ruins sends the exploration ship to the distant planet of Tgren. Tensions mount as their new allies are suspicious of the Cassan's technology and strange mental abilities. To complicate matters, the Tgrens are showing signs of mental powers themselves; the strongest of which belongs to a pilot named Athee, a woman whose skills rival Byron's unique abilities. Forced to train her mind and further develop her flying aptitude, he finds his patience strained. All Byron wanted was his privacy...

Why not leave your comments in the thread below so we can discuss it as a group?

message 2: by Anna (last edited May 12, 2014 06:58PM) (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) *******************************************************************

Whoo-hoo! Be sure to scope out the SOF Author Interview with Alex J. Cavanaugh about the inspirations behind Cassafire.

HERE: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 3: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Melanson (jimmelanson) I finished CassaStar this afternoon so that I could get into CassaFire for the BOTM. I really liked the first book. It was just technical enough without being overbearing and I really like how he developed Byron's character. It seemed organic, not perfunctory. I'm looking forward to see who Byron has become in CassaFire. I'm starting it when I go to bed tonight!

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Jim wrote: "I really like how he developed Byron's character. It seemed organic, not perfunctory...."

I love well developed characters. Which is why I prefer space opera to hard scifi :-)

message 5: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Melanson (jimmelanson) I finished CassaFire a couple days ago. While I felt a bit of connection with Byron in CassaStar, I found that connection with the main character deepened in CassaFire. It was nice to have the female character added and I'm really happy about the way the author did it. He let the relationship progress organically and he didn't push it. In fact, it felt like he was holding back on that plot line which fell perfectly in line with the nature of the main character. I was a bit disappointed he didn't explore the alien ship in the mountain a bit more but now that I've started reading the third book, CassaStorm, I see why he did that. I would have liked a bit more exploration of the Tgren society but that's just me. On the upside though, rather than painting himself into a corner, the author gives our imagination freedom to fill in the minutia of the society. I find this approach very engaging and stimulating for my own imagination. I'm really glad I got turned onto this series. Already about a tenth of the way through CassaStorm and going to read some more right now.

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Jim wrote: "now that I've started reading the third book, CassaStorm..."

Glad you enjoyed it! Maybe you should nominate CassaStorm for our new SERIES PICK (you have until Saturday) so we all have an excuse to continue reading the series with you?

Pieter Rossouw | 3 comments This book is not bad, it just feels empty. It feels like i am reading letter and i am still waiting for some conflict. Everything seems uncomplicated and sometimes generic. Though it is a easy read so far, its not a book i will remember.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

CassaFire (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Alex J. Cavanaugh (other topics)