Beyond Reality discussion

The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1)
This topic is about The Way of Kings
Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > The Way of Kings -- Roll Call and First Impressions

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 965 comments This folder is for those who are planning on reading May's Fantasy selection of the month, The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.

PLEASE -- NO SPOILERS!!

Lindsey | 366 comments Read it when it was first published and more than halfway through a re-read now. Looking forward to the discussion!

message 3: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2074 comments Mod
I want to read this at some point, because I've enjoyed Sanderson's other work, but haven't managed to get my hands on a copy for now.

Helen I've bought this at a bargain kindle price. Looking forward to it.

Brenda ╰☆╮    (brnda) | 82 comments :D

I'll be following along.

Read it twice....and still love it.

Suzanne | 98 comments I will be starting it in about a week.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) | 205 comments I read it last month. It's excellent, but it weighs a pound.

message 8: by Sumant (new)

Sumant | 202 comments Well i have it on my kindle and i am 50% done with the book, but i have also ordered a paper back edition of the book.

Jo  (Mixed Book Bag) (jomixedbookbag) | 33 comments I got it when it was on sale. Will try to read this month.

message 10: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments I read Way of Kings when it first came out. In fact, I think it's the last print book I bought (switched to ebooks and audiobooks). Recently read the sequel. Loved both of them.

Andrew | 4 comments I am currently on Chapter 31 of Way of Kings. I can't wait to discuss with all of you.

message 12: by Mawgojzeta (new) - added it

Mawgojzeta | 178 comments I hope to read this soon, but not sure if it will happen in time for the discussion.

Stacie Wilson | 4 comments Just finished it tonight, and my impression is LURVE! So good.

message 14: by Mawgojzeta (new) - added it

Mawgojzeta | 178 comments Oh, and for anyone in Minnesota (or near), Brandon Sanderson will be at Minicon 50 next Easter weekend. Just thought I would throw that out, because I am like a kid on Christmas Eve waiting for that to come around.

Maria | 11 comments I got a copy when it came out, but I kind of got stuck a third of the way through. I don't really like being a few hundred pages into it while still barely getting to know the main characters. I loved Sanderson's other works, but I don't know if I'll ever slog my way all the way through this one with my short attention span.

Daniel (dward526) Like all Sanderson, this one does not disappoint so far. I love his 'world-building'

message 17: by Brenda ╰☆╮ (last edited May 09, 2014 11:24AM) (new) - added it

Brenda ╰☆╮    (brnda) | 82 comments Knowing it's a large series, I expect to be learning about the characters throughout.
:)

The way Sanderson writes especially, because you might not truly know a character. He holds back a few surprises for later.
I love that.

Stacie Wilson | 4 comments Brenda ╰☆╮ wrote: "Knowing it's a large series, I expect to be learning about the characters throughout.
:)

The way Sanderson writes especially, because you might not truly know a character. He holds back a few surp..."

I love the surprises too, which is not the norm for me! His reveals are so well done that it didn't drive me nuts, and it kept me turning pages.

Richard Guion (giantsizegeek) | 17 comments I could not wait for this group read so I finished it in April. Very good and the sequel is even better.

On the beginning: the very first prelude is tantalizing but opaque. I suspect we will know everything they are referring to by the end of third book. Lots of clues dropped here.

The second chapter featuring Szeth is one of the most brilliantly realized action scenes ever constructed for a fantasy novel! Sanderson has really concocted an interesting power set and magic system here.

Daniel (dward526) almost done, it is great. I must pick up the next one soon.

Helen I'm 30 pages in and already impressed by the action scene and magic. l love Sanderson!

Suzanne | 98 comments I'm really loving this book a lot so far. Tor just finished up a re-read which is very thorough, so I've been looking at that a bit too. So far I'm liking all of the storylines, and I'm hoping I can keep all the characters straight!

carol.  | 173 comments Read it. Looking forward to the spoiler discussion.

Juston Fenton I just started The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson today, I'm on page 32 and I'm hooked. I'm glad I've got all of June to read this too as it's not a quick read!

One of my friends has been recommending Brandon Sanderson since he took the reigns of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, and this will be my first Brandon Sanderson read!

Helen I'm almost jealous, you've a fantastic read ahead.

Juston Fenton Well I'm almost halfway through. I've finished part two and what can I say. I'm hooked!

I find starting any new book - and very large books in particular - like jumping into the sea for the first time at the end of spring, or going for a run very early in the morning. In the first case - swimming - the initial shock is cold and freezing and you almost want to get out straight away, but if you just wait a few minutes, your body adjusts and it's wonderful. The same goes for running, the first 10 minutes of a pre-dawn run are freezing, but then you warm up and its great.

Starting a new book is like that, it takes a bit to adjust to the story and the characters. I find the larger the book, the more imposing the bedding in period. But before long you're hooked and you're along for the ride.

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson is just like that. I'm well past the bedding in period and it is a fantastic read!

There's plenty I'd like to discuss when I finish.

Brenda ╰☆╮    (brnda) | 82 comments :)

My favorites, like this, always make my spine tingle.

Suzanne | 98 comments I'm a bit over half way through this one - it is so good! I'm feeling pretty happy that book 2 is already out!