This topic is about Z for Zachariah
Book of the month > Z for Zachariah

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Budd, Dictator of Indoctrination (new) - rated it 4 stars

Budd | 160 comments Mod
So, how did everyone like it?

Brett | 34 comments Mod
It was fantastic!!! Is there a sequel? I am dying to know what happens after she leaves the valley. If there isn't a sequel, I'm curious to hear what everyone thinks. I think it's pretty reasonable that a mountain range that had one protected valley would also have another.

By the way, I didn't realize this was written in the 70s when I read it, and I was a little confused by some of the old-fashionedness of the plot, but once I found out when it was written, it made sense. The farmers almanacs that I'm pretty sure they don't print anymore, the reliance on radio transmissions, the obsession with nuclear war, the references to wwII but nothing since, etc. all threw me off a bit.

Overall, I thought it was a pretty flawless book. If I had read it when I was in high school, I would have been completely obsessed.

message 3: by Budd, Dictator of Indoctrination (new) - rated it 4 stars

Budd | 160 comments Mod
The author actually died before finishing the book. The last chapter was completed using his notes. This is the same author that wrote Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH.

message 4: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Kahn | 44 comments Mod
I have to admit, I read this back in grade 7 or 8, but I remember it vividly! I thought it was a great book then, and I still remember the feeling when he starts to take over the valley and when she finally escapes.

Emperador Spock | 28 comments Mod
Budd wrote: "The author actually died before finishing the book. The last chapter was completed using his notes.

This explains the rather unimpressive ending.

I'm fine with her leaving the valley (it actually is in tune with the 'leaving the Vault' trope from the Fallout universe), but that last scene is silly and underwhelming; it really kills all the suspense gathered from their little guerilla war.

I wish she just shot the damn Mr Gropis-Rapis, and went to Ogdentown for the books she wanted.

message 6: by Budd, Dictator of Indoctrination (new) - rated it 4 stars

Budd | 160 comments Mod
I find it interesting that 30 years before we have the walking dead, we have an apocolyptic world were you have to worry about other people more than the cause of the apocolypse. I also love the fact that she is not just sitting there waiting for a big strong man to come and rescue her. Had it been written today, there would have been a love triangle involved and she would be portrayed as helpless.