Mid-Continent Public Library discussion

Reading Challenges > May Challenges

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MH (new)

MH (librarian-m) | 236 comments Mod
April's challenges were such a success, let's throw out some challenges for May!

*Biographer's Day is this month...read a biography!
*Read a Batman graphic novel in celebration of the first publication of Batman (May 1st, 1939)
*Grab a book with "May" in the title
*Ask a May baby what they are reading this month, and read along!
*Read an author whose name starts with "M"
*Celebrate authors with birthdays in May by reading Dashiell Hammett, Arthur Conan Doyle, or Ian Fleming!

message 2: by Courtnie (new)

Courtnie (bookcupidity) The Boy Who Loved Batman

Can I use this book for the Batman challenge? This looks interesting. Judges? LOL

message 3: by Raine (new)

Raine O'Tierney (raineotierney) Judges say YES! :)

message 4: by Courtnie (new)

Courtnie (bookcupidity) Raine wrote: "Judges say YES! :)"

It's on!

message 5: by Amy (last edited May 01, 2014 12:55PM) (new)

Amy | 195 comments Mod
I royally failed my challenge last month, so let's see if I can do it this month.

I am going to read a Sherlock Holmes title.

message 6: by Courtnie (new)

Courtnie (bookcupidity) Well, I finished The Boy Who Loved Batman by Michael E. Uslan . It was okay - the writing isn't stellar. As I said to another group of bookie friends, authobiographies are good because the life story told is so fantastic that it tells itself, or the writer finesses the reader by being warm, funny, unique, etc. Michael Uslan is a passionate person, and certainly had some great accomplishments, but that didn't translate into an entertaining read per se.

I also read a "M" author. Maya Rodale's The Wicked Wallflower (Bad Boys & Wallflowers, #1) by Maya Rodale . I was disappoint. Mostly because all dearly held notions of propriety were thrown out of the window for the sake of the story. The heroine (a Lady) attends a house party without chaperone. What's the point of stealing kisses if no one is watching! The societal boundaries in historical romances are what sets it apart from contemp romance, otherwise we're just reading a contemp romance in petticoats. Total bummer there.

SO as not to be a complete downer in my May challenge, I did read along with *MY* May baby last night as we started his Summer Reading challenge, so that was a big plus! This is his first year to participate as a reader, so, big moment guys!

message 7: by Raine (last edited May 20, 2014 08:47AM) (new)

Raine O'Tierney (raineotierney) Courtnie wrote: "What's the point of stealing kisses if no one is watching! The societal boundaries in historical romances are what sets it apart from contemp romance, otherwise we're just reading a contemp romance in petticoats.

^^^THIS EXACTLY! I love how the lines of propriety are so strict in historicals--so that the act of a stolen kiss or touching hands becomes so much more powerful.

message 8: by Courtnie (new)

Courtnie (bookcupidity) Raine wrote: I love how the lines of propriety are so strict in historicals--so that the act of a stolen kiss or touching hands becomes so much more powerful.

Right, it also builds tension if you happen to read one on the spicier side of things. And tension is very important dear romance authors! And even though this isn't true for all HR, it allows for more character developement before they hit the sack.

Lately I've noticed that you can depend on a very modern take on HR from current Avon pubs. While I can handle a modern voice (Sarah MacLean, Tessa Dare, JAL), I really want the rules.

message 9: by Linda O (new)

Linda O (lindanorthoak) | 11 comments I read Bossypantsby Tina Fey. I don't read many biography or autobiographies so I'm always surprised when I enjoy one. I should read more obviously.

message 10: by Pam (new)

Pam (psvogt) | 31 comments Mariah wrote: "April's challenges were such a success, let's throw out some challenges for May!

*Biographer's Day is this month...read a biography!
*Read a Batman graphic novel in celebration of the first public..."

I'm a May birthday, so anything I read counts?
;)

message 11: by Pam (new)

Pam (psvogt) | 31 comments I just finished a wonderful memoir - sort of a biography - Dogtripping : 25 rescues, 11 volunteers, and 3 RVs on our canine cross-country adventure by mystery writer David Rosenfelt. He brings his self-effacing humor to this non-fiction title and it is really a fun read.

message 12: by Abigail (new)

Abigail | 32 comments I am reading books on Nellie Bly thanks to google having a thingy about her birthday. Never heard of her but traveling around the world in 72 days sounds intense.

message 13: by Abigail (new)

Abigail | 32 comments I am also going to read Sideways on a Scooter: A story of life and Love in India by Miranda Kennedy. I hope the first name M counts!
Besides it sounds as wild as Eat Pray Love.