Mid-Continent Public Library discussion

Question of the Month! > eReaders: How do you use them?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MH (new)

MH (librarian-m) | 236 comments Mod
What are your thoughts on eReaders? Have you given up paper entirely? Refuse to touch electronic? Or do you read a mix of paper and ebooks? No matter your answer, what's the thought behind your choice?

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 195 comments Mod
I only read a paper copy when I absolutely have to.

message 3: by Sheri (new)

Sheri (svdyreng) | 3 comments I read both paper and ebooks. Sometimes I will put a book on hold and the ebook copy is available sooner. Also I tend to read one of the many books I have on my tablet when I'm finished with a paper book and haven't chose a book to read yet. Also, if I'm travelling, I'd much rather take my tablet, than a bunch of books. I love that ebooks have the built in dictionary that lets me read and understand any book I choose by just touching the word. After typing all this I realize that I must like ebooks better.

message 4: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (whatcarriereads) | 11 comments I received my NOOK for Christmas a couple of years ago and I LOVE it! I always thought I would never go "over to the dark side" and use anything but a book or an audio book. While on vacation with my sisters I watched with envy my sister enjoying her Kindle while we were at the beach. I researched the devices supported by MCPL and asked for and was lucky to receive a Nook. It is so convenient to go to the website, browse and then download or request a title. The "book" is almost like reading a hardcover or paperback and at the end of the lending period it returns itself! No more (or reduced) overdue book fines. I'm in a bo0k club and when a new selection is announced I go to the website and request every format available (book, audiobook or e-book). The various formats give me a better chance of getting a title faster. I strongly endorse E-readers. They are great for travel and give voratious readers (like me) more options.

message 5: by Tim (new)

Tim | 1 comments The first time I saw an e-reader was in a display at Reagan National Airport a number of years ago. It was one of the early ones, maybe a Sony? I thought it was ridiculous and could not imagine wanting to actually read a book on one. Jump ahead to four years ago when I got my Kindle and my views have completely changed. Now I only read print when I have to. Unfortunately, I recognize that the Kindle I love is killing the book store and library experience that was a key part of my life for years. Same thing for my iPod and the record store.