The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2014 > Summer Challenge 2014: Task Ideas

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17171 comments Mod
It's time to start thinking about fun tasks for the Summer Challenge. The bonus theme is "A Year of Board Games: Trivial Pursuit"

As in past challenges, some tasks may revolve around the seasonal theme of Summer. Others may reflect the bonus theme. Other tasks may have nothing to do with either of these themes, they’re just fun ideas for unique reading challenges.

Feel free to post as many ideas as you can come up with. Don't worry about repeating what another player might have already suggested. The more ideas, the better!

The moderators will draw from these ideas as well as their own to create the 5, 10, and 15 point tasks. We look forward to seeing what you come up with!

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7452 comments TP is a game of facts - read a book where the letters in the word FACTS can be found in the title/subtitle/authors name

each leg on the TP board ends with a square, where if you get the answer right you get a pie piece - read a book with pie on the cover

depending on the rules you play, when you try to win, the other people playing you get the pick the question category for the middle and we (my family) always made it the hardest category for the person - read a book shelved as a genre you don't read; one that you try to avoid

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7452 comments there are 6 main colors in TP; 6 pie pieces; up to 6 teams - read a book that is designated #6 in a series per GR

there are 6000 questions in each TP game - read a book that has 6 and 0 in the page numbers

the pieces in the game are all round divided into triangle like segemnts - read a book that has a triangle or circle shape on the cover

TP was invented in 1979 - read a book published in that year (or the 70's to open it up)

the original segments on the board were:
Geography (blue)
Entertainment (pink)
History (yellow)
Arts & Literature (brown)
Science & Nature (green)
Sports & Leisure (orange)

message 4: by Delmy (new)

Delmy  (needfulreads) Well, this has nothing to do with summer, nor Trivial Pursuit but nevertheless...

Polar Opposites

Using your astrological sign, Read a book by an author who is your polar opposite.

• Aries and Libra
• Taurus and Scorpio
• Gemini and Sagittarius
• Cancer and Capricorn
• Leo and Aquarius
• Virgo and Pisces

message 5: by Delmy (new)

Delmy  (needfulreads) Since Trivial Pursuit has six categories, Read a book series, that has only six books total.

message 6: by Susan A (last edited May 01, 2014 02:50PM) (new)

Susan A When I think of summer, I think of baseball. Read a book with a baseball theme.

Also the beach...read a book with a beach setting.

message 7: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 1969 comments Susan A wrote: "When I think of summer, I think of baseball. Read a book with a baseball theme.

I find this very hard as it comes up all the time and there aren't that many books in my library with a baseball theme as it isn't much followed here.

message 8: by Susan A (new)

Susan A Coralie wrote: "Susan A wrote: "When I think of summer, I think of baseball. Read a book with a baseball theme.

I find this very hard as it comes up all the time and there aren't that many books in my library ..."

Good point.

message 9: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 454 comments The TP board is set up like a wheel, read a book with a wheel on the cover.

Summer is best spent lounging (in my book anyway!), read a book with someone seated or lying down on the cover.

Summer is the time of camping and camp fires, read a book with a flame on the cover.

The first version of TP that I bought (at a yard sale) was one of the earliest versions. It seemed like every Entertainment question had something to do with The Mary Tyler Moore Show, which I have never seen so I couldn't answer them! (my summer roommate and I wound up eliminating Entertainment as a requirement because of it! :) Read a book by an author who shares a name with one of the following characters or actors:

Mary Richards (Mary Tyler Moore)
Lou Grant (Edward Asner)
Murray Slaughter (Gavin MacLeod)
Ted Baxter (Ted Knight)
Rhoda Morgenstern (Valerie Harper)
Phyllis Lindstrom (Cloris Leachman)
Georgette Franklin (Georgia Engel)
Sue Ann Nivens (Betty White)

message 10: by ♞ Pat (new)

♞ Pat Gent | 654 comments The pieces in TP are triangular shaped. Read a book that is part of a trilogy.

message 11: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (kristinekae) | 258 comments Gathering pieces of pie to win, read a book with a pie on the cover or in title.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

My two favorite versions of trivial pursuit are Star Wars and Lord of the Rings- mostly because I always win :-)

For All the Nerds

In honor of the Star Wars and Lord of the Rings versions of Trivial Pursuit, read a book with the genera science fiction or fantasy on the main page.

Could also be a two book 15 point option with the requirement to read one of each, or one book that lists both on it's main page.

message 13: by ♞ Pat (new)

♞ Pat Gent | 654 comments Pursuit :

1. the action of following or pursuing someone or something.

Read a book labeled "action/adventure" on the front page.

2. synonyms: striving toward, quest after/for, search for

Read a book about a quest for something.

3. example : a race in which competitors start from different parts of a track and attempt to overtake one another

Read a book that starts in the middle of the story.

4. PHYSIOLOGY : the action of the eye in following a moving object.

Read a book where someone is watching/stalking or being stalked

5. an activity of a specified kind, especially a recreational or athletic one.

Read a book just to enjoy it.

message 14: by ♞ Pat (last edited May 02, 2014 06:31AM) (new)

♞ Pat Gent | 654 comments In the genus edition version of Trivial Pursuit the categories and colors are

History -Yellow
Entertainment - Pink
Geography - Blue
Arts and Literature - Brown
Science & Nature - Green
Sports & Leisure - Orange

Read a book where the category and color match....

message 15: by ♞ Pat (new)

♞ Pat Gent | 654 comments The game was created in December 1979 in Montreal, Quebec, by Canadian Chris Haney.

1. Read a book published in 1979

2. Read a book labeled "cultural - Canada" on the front page.

3. Read a book by a Canadian Author.

message 16: by ♞ Pat (new)

♞ Pat Gent | 654 comments The board for the game looks like a wagon wheel with spokes.

Read a book labeled Western on its front page...

message 17: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments The wikipedia page on 'trivia' mentions a few colleges where large-scale trivia contests have been held. Appropriately enough, these colleges appear in a tri-o of states: Colorado, Massachusetts, and Wisconsin. Read a book set in any one of these states.

message 18: by Book Concierge (last edited May 11, 2014 03:58AM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3503 comments Summer BASEBALL Challenge - read a book with any of these words in the title: diamond, ball, bat, home, run, safe, foul, plate

You scream, I scream, we all scream for ICE CREAM - Read a book where the author's First or Last initial is found in ICE CREAM.

July 1 is International Joke Day - Read a book with "humor" on the main page

Dog Days of Summer - read a book with a dog on the cover

Farmer's Market - read a book with a fruit(s) or vegetable(s) on the cover

message 19: by Lindy-Lane (new)

Lindy-Lane (moonbacklit) | 590 comments Dee wrote: "TP is a game of facts - read a book where the letters in the word FACTS can be found in the title/subtitle/authors name

each leg on the TP board ends with a square, where if you get the answer rig..."

really like the last 2 of these.

message 20: by Lindy-Lane (new)

Lindy-Lane (moonbacklit) | 590 comments Jennifer W wrote: "The TP board is set up like a wheel, read a book with a wheel on the cover.

Summer is best spent lounging (in my book anyway!), read a book with someone seated or lying down on the cover.

Summer ..."

love the mtm idea.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

There are versions of TP that focus on the 80s and 90s, you could have

Read a book first published in the years 1980-1989 inclusive

and/or

Read a book first published in the years 1990-1999 inclusive.

message 22: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3503 comments Hurricane Season - read a book set in a coastal state that has been hit by hurricanes - e.g. Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, Florida, South Carolina, Long Island NY, etc

message 23: by Jill Renee (new)

Jill Renee Kilgore | 120 comments 30 point task: 2 books
Roll a die 1-6

If you roll a 1: Geography
Read a book set in the state where you were born

If you roll a 2: History
Read a book with historical fiction as the genre

If you roll a 3: Entertainment
Read a book that eventually became a movie

If you roll a 4: People & Places
Opt 1: Read a biography based on a famous person
Opt 2: Read a book set in a city/country you wish you could visit

If you roll a 5: Sports & Leisure
Opt 1: Read a book about baseball (since it's summer after all)
Opt 2: Read a book with a plot featuring your favorite hobby or a hobby you'd like to start (gardening, book club, boating, fishing, knitting, etc)

If you roll a 6: Wild Card
Opt. 1 : Read any novel of your choice (500 pgs or more)
Opt 2: Read a book with a cover featuring a bold color (include Cover in post)

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

July 1st is Canada Day!

Read a book set in Canada or written by a Canadian author.

Setalpgninnpsekil | 52 comments Mother's/Father's Day

Read a book that was written in your mother/father's lifetime but not in your own. Example: My mother was born in 1959, and I was born in 1987, so I would read a book written in between 1959 and 1987.

message 26: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7452 comments ohhh I like that one = you could turn that into a 15 pointer - one for your mother, one for your father - written by someone the same gender

message 27: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 20 comments Read a book by an author that has a name that could be for a male or female:
Sandy, Leslie, Lee, Gene, (Spelling doesn't matter)---
My grandfather's name was Marion.

Read a book that shows the beach on the cover.

Read a book that has flip-flop shoes on the cover.

Read a book with a cold beverage on the cover.

Read a book with sunglasses on the cover.

Read a book with a body of water in the title.

Read a book published in June, July, or August.

message 28: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 483 comments To win at Trivial Pursuit players must fill their circular playing pieces with 6 different colored pie wedges.
1. Read a book that has 6 different colors on the cover.
2. Read a book that has a wedge or triangle shape on the cover.

message 29: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments 'Summer' has a repeated letter in the middle of the word. Read a book with a title containing a word with one repeated letter. The letter can't be at the beginning or end of the word. e.g. 'book' or 'sleep' would work but not 'fall'.

message 30: by Deana (new)

Deana (ablotial) | 284 comments Summer Vacation - read a book where a character goes on a vacation or a road trip.

message 31: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne | 581 comments Jill wrote: "30 point task: 2 books
Roll a die 1-6

If you..."

Love this one -- except some of us are not born in the US. Could there be an alternative?

message 32: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne | 581 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Summer BASEBALL Challenge - read a book with any of these words in the title: diamond, ball, bat, home, run, safe, foul, plate

You scream, I scream, we all scream for ICE CREAM - Read a book wh..."

Love all these!

message 33: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne | 581 comments Dee wrote: "there are 6 main colors in TP; 6 pie pieces; up to 6 teams - read a book that is designated #6 in a series per GR

there are 6000 questions in each TP game - read a book that has 6 and 0 in the pag..."

I love it!
You could also do options based on the wedge colors and categories:
- the wedge color on the cover
- the topic of the book matches the wedge category
- the wedge color or category in the title

message 34: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne | 581 comments Kathy G. wrote: "Read a book by an author that has a name that could be for a male or female:
Sandy, Leslie, Lee, Gene, (Spelling doesn't matter)---
My grandfather's name was Marion.

Read a book that shows the bea..."

I like this one also! It would be fun to pick the books!

message 35: by Delmy (new)

Delmy  (needfulreads) Read a book about time travel.

message 36: by Sandi (last edited May 10, 2014 07:21PM) (new)

Sandi Barnes | 492 comments mstan wrote: "'Summer' has a repeated letter in the middle of the word. Read a book with a title containing a word with one repeated letter. The letter can't be at the beginning or end of the word. e.g. 'book'..."

This one could easily be made into a 2 book task as well with one book being where the repeated letter is a vowel and one book being where the repeated letter is a consonant.

ETA: Or one book in which the title includes word/s that satisfies both the repeated vowel and the repeated consonant tasks i.e. Three, Four ... Better lock your door: Rebekka Franck #2
- better (repeated 'T')
- door (repeated 'O')

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I second Delmy's suggestion!

message 38: by Janice (new)

Janice  | 648 comments In honor of Trivial Pursuit, read a book in which the title is in the form of a question. For example: Coffee, Tea or Me?

Helen Keller was born June 27, 1880. To celebrate her many accomplishments, read a book that features someone who is blind, deaf, and/or mute. Here's a listopia list with some suggestions: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

message 39: by Rochella (new)

Rochella (rosesbookgarden) | 92 comments In the summer lots of people go on holiday and from were I'm from it's usually to another country. Pick a book set in a country other than the one you are from/live in and would like to visit.

This year the Ramadan starts and ends in the summer again. Since the Ramadan is part of the Islam, read a book set in country with a high percentage of Muslims (for example use this list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_...)

The World Cup is again this year. Either read a book set in Brazil or read a book about football/soccer

Since summer usually equals warm weather, read a book where on the cover there is a person with bare arms and/or legs.

message 40: by Karen (new)

Karen Jill wrote: "30 point task: 2 books
Roll a die 1-6

If you..."

I like this one. am new here and really trying to get what is going on. I am probably going to dig in with summer since I am late for the spring challenge, Of all the suggestions, how many are picked? I did notice the task thread fro spring was very long so do you do every
suggestion? My mind is tired and though I read the how to's at the top, I was so befuddled.

message 41: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7452 comments Karen - the mods may use all, may use none, someone who gets to write a task may use an idea - it all just depends

message 42: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 867 comments Summertime means Sunshine!

Read a book with a compound word in the title

Setalpgninnpsekil | 52 comments Long Summer Days, Short Summer Nights

Complete both of the following tasks. Both books must be by the same author.
A. Read a book between 100 and 200 pages long.
B. Read a book over 500 pages long.

message 44: by Karen (new)

Karen Dee wrote: "Karen - the mods may use all, may use none, someone who gets to write a task may use an idea - it all just depends"

Thanks. This really helps.

message 45: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments We call the thing that has all the pieces the pie. Read a book with something sweet in the title or on the cover.

By official rules, once your pie is full, you have to return to the center to answer a final question. The other team/teams can choose the question for you, often choosing your most difficult category. Read a book from a genre you do not usually choose OR contact another SRC player and have them choose a book for you.

Trivial Pursuit was created in 1979 in Canada.
-Read a book published between between 1970-1979.
-Read a book by a Canadian author.
-Read a book set in Canada.