Indie Book Club discussion

Clockwork Blue (A Lumière Romance, #1)
This topic is about Clockwork Blue
Book of the Month: Other > OBOTM for May: Clockwork Blue

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Thaddeus (new)

Thaddeus White | 631 comments Mod
After a tightly contested poll, with just a single vote in it, Clockwork Blue has been named the Other Book of the Month.

It's a steampunk story, as the title suggests.

Let the discussion begin!

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1013 comments Yes, looks interesting.

Christian W. (cwallers) | 42 comments I finally caught up with my backlog of reading material so I picked this up yesterday. I've never read a steampunk story so I'm eager to get started.

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1013 comments The reviews are mixed, so interested to see what people think. I bought this in my I love Steampunk phase.

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1013 comments I started, stopped and started. So far not convinced but I've only read a few pages so will continue until I can make a reasonable judgement

Christian W. (cwallers) | 42 comments I am about a third of the way into it and am still waiting for the story to grab me. There are some interesting details but thus far the romance is falling a bit flat.

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1013 comments I think I am going to give up with this for now. I've read a bit and so far it is meh. I have too many books to read to spend much time on books which don't grab me. I may come back to it.

Christian W. (cwallers) | 42 comments I am a little more than half way through and it is starting to grow on me. The characters are more developed and I'm starting to wonder where the story is going. It did take a long time to hook me in, though, as I was tempted to give up on it several times in the early going.

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1013 comments If a book doesn't grab me early on I am off. I may simply need to be in the right mood, which I am not. I'll be interested to see your review though. For now it is going back on the to-read shelf

message 10: by A.L. (new) - rated it 2 stars

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1013 comments Fair enough. I got to chapter 3. Oh well I have 1000 books on my TBR I expect I'll find something else.

I may give it a try another day.

Christian W. (cwallers) | 42 comments I finished it and you can see my review here: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

I gave it 2 stars - there were too many loose ends that went unexplained, and as others have mentioned the story took a very long time to develop.

message 12: by A.L. (new) - rated it 2 stars

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1013 comments sounds fair enough.

message 13: by Mary (new)

Mary (maryellenwall) | 32 comments The concept was intriguing and the cover catchy, but the story didn't get a fire under it for too many pages. I agree with the comment about the loose ends; I try to keep track of clues for continuity but there were plain old orphans. Too bad. I wonder if this one was professionally edited? The flow and orphan issues should have been caught then. Shows the value of a good editor. I typically get the series when I get one, but not this time I think.

message 14: by A.L. (new) - rated it 2 stars

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1013 comments Yeah, shame really.