Kindle British Mystery Book Club discussion

Before the Poison
This topic is about Before the Poison
40 views
Book Club Selection > May 2014 Value Book Read - Before The Poison by Peter Robinson

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (last edited May 01, 2014 12:37AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

David Gooch | 4044 comments Mod
May 2014 Value Book Read - discussion leader Susan Davis
Before The Poison, by Peter Robinson

Before The Poison by Peter Robinson

"Through years of success in Hollywood composing music for Oscar-winning films, Chris Lowndes always imagined he would come full circle, home to Yorkshire with his beloved wife Laura.

Now he's back in the Yorkshire Dales, but Laura is dead, and Chris needs to make a new life for himself. The isolated house he buys sight unseen should give him the space to come to terms with his grief and the quiet to allow him to work.

Kilnsgate House turns out to be rather more than he expected, however. A man died there, sixty years ago. His wife was convicted of murder. And something is pulling Chris deeper and deeper into the story of Grace Elizabeth Fox, who was hanged by the neck until she was dead"

This book is available through both our Amazon stores at
Group Amazon UK Store
Group Amazon US Store


Odette (odman) I was interested in reading this book on my kindle and participating in the discussion. However, the price for this book through Amazon Australia is $11.99 which I would not class as a Value Book Read.


Odette (odman) I just looked up the price for "What Kind of Mother are You" on Amazon Australia and it is $8.54, so may read this one as it is cheaper than the value read!


David Gooch | 4044 comments Mod
Hi Odette,
I tried messaging you on this but you have messages stopped. You need to message me as I might be able to help.


message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 148 comments I have finished Before the Poison and really like the twist and turns. Also, going back to the diaries written in in the second world war.


Clarissa Draper (clarissa_draper) | 119 comments Mod
I've started reading this book and it's very interesting!


message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 148 comments I thought it was well written and the background on his music added a lot of color.


Clarissa Draper (clarissa_draper) | 119 comments Mod
I just finished the book last night. I couldn't put it down.


message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 148 comments What did you think. At first. Of grace. Not defending herself?


Clarissa Draper (clarissa_draper) | 119 comments Mod
At first I thought she was protecting someone. That's why she didn't say anything but as I read on, I learned it wasn't the case so I couldn't understand. Surely if the events of the story were true, she should have used it as a defense.


message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 148 comments Do you think he's interest in Grace became an obsession? Did you feel it helped him overcome losing his wife? I think it was very well written.


message 12: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 148 comments Peter Robinson delivers a truly stunning standalone thriller, Before the Poison. Brilliantly combining the rich, atmospheric narrative of his award-winning In a Dry Season with the twists and suspense of the noir classic Laura, Before the Poison tells the riveting story of a composer who comes to the scene of a notorious crime and becomes obsessed with a beautiful, mysterious, and possibly very dangerous woman. Evocatively set in the picturesque Yorkshire Dales, Before the Poison is a masterful tale of mystery and suspense from the Anthony and Edgar® Award winner whose extraordinary fiction Janet Maslin of the New York Times compared to, “the masculine, brooding work of Dennis Lehane, Michael Connelly, Harlan Coben, George P. Pelecanos, and Jonathan Kellerman.”


Odette (odman) David wrote: "Hi Odette,
I tried messaging you on this but you have messages stopped. You need to message me as I might be able to help."

Thanks for trying to message me. I have now changed the setting. Previously I had it set as 'only friends'.
There are lot of discrepancies in pricing, between Amazon US, UK and Australia when purchaing kindle books. It used to work better when I was able to purchase books from Amazon US.
I am interest to hear from you. Thanks.


message 14: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 148 comments I think Clarissa and I are the only ones reading this very good book.


message 15: by Clarissa (last edited May 07, 2014 12:43PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Clarissa Draper (clarissa_draper) | 119 comments Mod
Well, it may take people longer to read it than you and I and will probably comment later in the month.


message 16: by Kim (new)

Kim | 42 comments This book, Before The Poison, and In A Dry Season are on my 5 star all-time best book list. I too couldn't put this down. I read it on my work breaks, while cooking dinner; just so well written.


Clarissa Draper (clarissa_draper) | 119 comments Mod
Kim wrote: "This book, Before The Poison, and In A Dry Season are on my 5 star all-time best book list. I too couldn't put this down. I read it on my work breaks, while cooking dinner; just so well written."

I've read both and I agree. Both were excellent books. The only reason I gave it three was because I felt the ending was too vague.


message 18: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 148 comments I dont usually like when an author switches back and forth but it tied in beautifully. Graces diary was like a different world.


Lesley | 56 comments THANKS VERY MUCH FOLKS. This is just 5 May and some of us haven't read the book yet. I came into this thread because it isn't the "spoiler" thread for this book, and I feel I might just as well return the book to the library now. With the blurb I know the outline of the story, and that's good, but your comments give me detail beyond that.

Such an inconsiderate shame when there is a spoiler thread provided for those who have more time to read and possibly read more quickly.


message 20: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 148 comments There are no comments that would spoil the book. As it doesn't mention anything but the important talking points.


message 21: by Lesley (last edited May 06, 2014 09:00PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lesley | 56 comments Susan wrote: "There are no comments that would spoil the book. As it doesn't mention anything but the important talking points."

Really? I could have the same thoughts around Grace, Chris and Laura, but now I'll know that's wrong because I am informed of that in message 15.

Because of the chance of reading things like that, and more, I avoid spoiler threads as I thought that was their purpose. However I shall stay away from all threads so as not to risk spoiling the pleasure of reading this book.


message 22: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 148 comments I am very new here and trying to do the best I can. I'm so sorry I ruined the byook for you and thank you for our support and understanding. This was my first attempt and believe me with people like you it will be my last.


Clarissa Draper (clarissa_draper) | 119 comments Mod
Ella's Gran wrote: "Susan wrote: "There are no comments that would spoil the book. As it doesn't mention anything but the important talking points."

Really? I could have the same thoughts around Grace, Chris and Laur..."


Sorry, that was my mistake. I didn't know there was a spoiler thread.


message 24: by Kim (new)

Kim | 42 comments I am sad that this thread took a turn like this. Everyone is just trying to have a bit of fun as a group and if a mistake was made, it was just that. I'm certain it wasn't intentional to ruin a read for you Ella's Gran. I try to instill in my children "it's not what you say but the way that you say it. Because nice matters."


message 25: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 148 comments And the sad thing is that it's a good book. I am so new and trying to get it right. I've also joined another group that seems much more welcoming and kind.


message 26: by Kim (new)

Kim | 42 comments It is a good book and I appreciate you hosting.


message 27: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 148 comments Thanks Kim. Glad you are enjoying the book. It was so unique and well written.


message 28: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 148 comments Me too. I love the Alan Banks series but this is such a departure and a different writing style. This book is a tribute to his writing talents.


David Gooch | 4044 comments Mod
I Have read the other group read and will now start this. Love the Robinson Banks books so here's hoping this is as good as some say it is.


Maria (marialuc) | 19 comments I am just starting chapter 15. This is the first Robinson book I have read. I am very anxious to see what Chris finds out. I like the way the trial description are woven into the story.


message 31: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 148 comments This is one of my favorite books this year.


Laurie (tolepainter) | 3 comments For me to buy in Canada it's $13.99 so I will check out the library first.


Maria (marialuc) | 19 comments I just finished. I was very disappointed in the book. This was the first Robinson mystery I have read. I really expected more. The ending was a let down. I wouldn't call it a thriller.


David Gooch | 4044 comments Mod
Maria wrote: "I just finished. I was very disappointed in the book. This was the first Robinson mystery I have read. I really expected more. The ending was a let down. I wouldn't call it a thriller."

I was disappointed at the ending too Mary.
I must admit this probably isn't the best Robinson book to read as your first. His Banks books are better.


Maria (marialuc) | 19 comments I will try another thanks


back to top