Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Ann's Action Packed April

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (last edited Apr 30, 2014 10:11PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments My April was boosted by better weather and time outdoors walking on the greenway paths, a welcome change to the cold dreary weather that had me tromping up and down stairs at work in a dank stairwell and staying indoors on the weekends - welcome spring!
13After I'm Gone
14 Missing You
15 Feed
16 City of Bones
17 Destroyer Angel
18 Deadline

Two stand alone books from Coben and Lippman; three YA books and a favorite series character returns in Anna Pigeon.

Lippman, Laura After I'm Gone - finished 4/4/2014 Audio, Rank 9 of 10 I enjoyed the narration and the way the story unfolds; skillfully interweaving the different time frames from 1959 to 2012 and in between, as years pass and the characters and their children age, but so many secrets remain. This is a story about family, sisters, friendship, betrayal, loyalty, hope and in some manner, of closure.

Coben, Harlan Missing You - finished 4/10/2014 on Audio / Kindle Rank 9.25 of 10 Fast paced and kept me guessing to the end, a glimpse at online dating that might put you off that activity as a result.

Grant, Mira Feed: Newsflesh trilogy #1 - finished 4/17/2014 on Audio / Kindle Rank 9.65 of 10 This book was not at all what I expected and I loved it. The audio narration added to my enjoyment, especially the female voice of Georgia Mason, read by Paula Christiansen. Politics aside, I found the combination of Zombies, the 2040 Presidential campaign and blog journalism unusual and captivating.

Clare, Cassandra City of Bones: The Mortal Instruments #1- finished 4/20/2014 on Audio / Kindle rank 8.75 of 10 A bit more younger focused than I expected, the story moves quickly and I was caught up thoroughly in the midst of the search for the mortal cup. The back story is Harry Potter-like and as such has the promise of some additional depth in future installments, while generally being rather light-weight in this one. The characters are at the cusp of adult maturity, so the potential of the future installments is intriguing.

Barr, Nevada Destroyer Angel - finished 4/21/2014 on Audio rank 9 of 10 I love the Anna Pigeon character and her point of view of our national parks and living in harmony with nature. But Anna is on vacation and this book starts out differently and is fast paced and suspenseful; Nevada Barr develops several characters with unique points of view and survival strengths (or weaknesses) and we hear Anna's voice as she navigates in the wilderness.

Grant, Mira Deadline: Newsflesh trilogy #2 - finished 4/28/2014 on Audio / Kindle rank 9.5 of 10 I am so glad I started this trilogy after it was already complete. The second book in a trilogy is sometimes filler, oh what filler this is - just when you think it could be predictable, it surprises you. I am going to have to have the third book very soon. Zombies, viral infections, conspiracies and the kind of journalists we can only hope to have, who will be searching for the truth and finding ways to communicate it

message 2: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2614 comments Nice month, Ann. Destroyer angel was different from the usual Pigeon effort.

message 3: by Vanderlleef (new)

Vanderlleef | 25 comments Ann wrote: "My April was boosted by better weather and time outdoors walking on the greenway paths, a welcome change to the cold dreary weather that had me tromping up and down stairs at work in a dank stairwe..."

I haven't read any Anna Pigeon books--they look good. Going to add to my list.

message 4: by Melodie (last edited May 01, 2014 12:46PM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3589 comments I need to check out the Newsflesh books! Love a good zombie tale! Also need to check and see which Anna Pigeon book I read last. I know it's been awhile since I read one.

message 5: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3477 comments looks like some good reads. I liked cassandra's books I think 1 or 2 new ones came out since I was reading them as a grp read almost every month for awhile.

message 6: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1185 comments Ann wrote: "Grant, Mira Deadline: Newsflesh trilogy #2 - finished 4/28/2014 on Audio / Kindle rank 9.5 of 10 I am so glad I started this trilogy after it was already complete. The second book in a trilogy is sometimes filler, oh what filler this is - just when you think it could be predictable, it surprises you. I am going to have to have the third book very soon. Zombies, viral infections, conspiracies and the kind of journalists we can only hope to have, who will be searching for the truth and finding ways to communicate it "

Like you, I really enjoyed the audio version of Feed but have put off listening to second book because I was a bit worried about where the storyline was headed. Am glad to see that you thought it was also good and not predictable.

message 7: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Great list! I stopped reading Pigeon years ago and can't remember why. Maybe I should start her up again!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Great list! Harlan Corben is hit or miss for me. I liked Six Years and I almost liked Tell No One. Tell No one was great for suspense but the resolution was soooo out there for me. I remember saying "Seriously?!" out loud to no one in particular when I read that one.

message 9: by Melodie (last edited May 02, 2014 05:38PM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3589 comments Christina wrote: "Great list! Harlan Corben is hit or miss for me. I liked Six Years and I almost liked Tell No One. Tell No one was great for suspense but the resolution was soooo out t..."

I thought the main character in SIX YEARS was kind of a goof. Gave the book 3 stars. I read TELL NO ONE about 5 years ago and gave it 4 stars. Don't remember anything about it and it was before I started trying to say at least a little something about all the books I read. I haven't read a lot of Harlan's standalones because they so often seem to be the same book!