Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

C.N. Williamson
This topic is about C.N. Williamson
Policies & Practices > Advice in combining authors

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christopher E (new)

Christopher E | 4 comments I decided to do some cleanup on old authors and ran across Charles Norris Williamson.
This gentleman has apparently received a few different author profiles, notably:
C N Williamson C.
C N Williamson
N. C. Williamson
C. N. (Charles Norris) Williamson
In the Library of Congress record he is listed as Williamson, C. N. (Charles Norris), 1859-1920.
Before I went in and mucked about on changing author data, I wanted to confirm what the procedure for changing it is. Do I go into all of the profiles and change to C. N. (Charles Norris) Williamson?

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott What is the most common way it is spelt on his books?

message 3: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Do I go into all of the profiles and change to C. N. (Charles Norris) Williamson?

Definitely don't do that - it's not GR practice to use initials AND full names.

What happens a lot of the time is if the initials is what appear on covers/title pages, go with the initials but then on the author page, use the text area to specify the author's full name - Charles Norris Williamson - in case there is any possible confusion with similarly named authors.

message 4: by Empress (last edited May 01, 2014 02:58AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) Even the lib rariy of congress shows the names as C.N. And A.M. as well as that is the most common on the covers.

I'm looking trough the list of titles and moving books and merging some of the other profiles.

message 5: by Empress (last edited May 01, 2014 03:40AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) So all books display C.N. Williamson and A.M. Williamson, so That should be the profile names.

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

message 6: by Koenraad (new)

Koenraad (koenraadkelemen) | 4842 comments Hi Ellie,
While you're at it, you may want to have a look on these also:
Charles Norris Williamson
Charles N Williamson
:)

message 7: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) Thanks Koenraad for finding them, I'll have to go at work now but I will look at them this evening or tomorrow around this time.

P.S. The first one is the complete profile that I already renamed to C.N. Williamson.

message 8: by Christopher E (new)

Christopher E | 4 comments Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "Even the lib rariy of congress shows the names as C.N. And A.M. as well as that is the most common on the covers.

I'm looking trough the list of titles and moving books and merging some of the oth..."

A. M. Williamson was Charles Norris Williamson's spouse and they co-wrote most of the listed titles. Once I figured out how to properly cite Mr. Williamson, I was going to move on to her.

...and they're fixed...
Goodness, your folks are quick and efficient. Thank you everyone for helping with my question.

message 9: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (havan) | 332 comments In a related question about combining authors...

I'm almost certain that Михаил Кузмин and Mikhail Kuzmin are actually the same author. I know a bit of the guy's story but NOT any russian.

How SHOULD an author like this be treated? Having both names in the database makes it difficult to combine works that are essentially the same but just in different languages and yet, this is GoodReads.Com not Хорошо читает.COM

Does this site actually have a "lingua franca"

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41019 comments Mod
Relevant bit of the Manual:
Authors with books published in multiple languages should have their names dealt with similarly to those with pen names. All editions should have the primary author name as the standard or most common Roman (that is, English-language) version of the author's name. Editions published under another spelling of the name or the name in another language should have that name listed as the secondary author. Different editions of a book not having the same primary author can cause quite a few distinct problems. Please keep the primary author for all editions of a work the same.

message 11: by Stephen (last edited May 05, 2014 09:30AM) (new)

Stephen (havan) | 332 comments Thanks Rivka! I did a search but spent more time fruitlessly looking through the results than I did waiting for your reply!

message 12: by Tamara (new)

Tamara | 2 comments I have also somewhat related question. What should one do in case the author has changed her name? I mean the author in question has written one book then she got married and added another last name. So she has (only) two books and two different pen names. What should I do?
I am sorry if somebody has already asked this question but I can’t seem to find it.
https://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8...

message 13: by Empress (last edited May 06, 2014 12:31PM) (new)

Empress (the_empress)
Regarding author pseudonyms or pen names - some authors write or have written under multiple names. When editing or adding information for a book written by an author with multiple names, enter the author's name as on the front cover as the primary author. The author's other names may be added in the other author fields. Original name or other pen names can added and linked via a Librarian Note: in the description field, or using the Librarian Note feature located above the Title field. In some cases, a book may be originally published under a pen name, but then later reissued under the author's original name. When this happens, the author listed for any and all editions should be the author name the book was originally published under - so the reissued edition would need its author name changed to the originally published pen name. Doing this will allow the various editions to be combined.

https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/2...

message 14: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41019 comments Mod
But in this case, they seem to be completely different books. So I would just put links in each profile one to the other.

message 15: by Tamara (new)

Tamara | 2 comments Thank you rivka I'm going to do that then.

And yes, they are two different books by the same author, who officially changed her name.