2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Why Mermaids Sing (Sebastian St. Cyr, #3)
This topic is about Why Mermaids Sing
Why Mermaids Sing > Question T

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7619 comments Mod
Any thoughts on the meaning of the title?

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments The innocence of children?

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Mermaids/sirens leading men to their deaths? It reminds me of Val McDermid's The Mermaids Singing

Lauren, I had the same thought!

Charlene, I don't know. Maybe we should ask the author.

In the meantime, here's some lore about mermaids singing.

Here's a response to the question of what it means when mermaids sing:

Sirens lure sailors to their death with their beautiful singing voices, while mermaids sing AND use their beauty to lure both sailors and landlubbers into the water to drown them.

Mermaids and sirens are closely related, but live in different parts of the Earth and they look different, because sirens are almost like water elementals. There are lots of movies out there that make you think that mermaids are sweet creatures, when they are actually the witches of the deep.

Wikipedia info related to the British Isles
Mermaids appear in British folklore as unlucky omens, both foretelling disaster and provoking it. Several variants of the ballad Sir Patrick Spens depict a mermaid speaking to the doomed ships. In some versions, she tells them they will never see land again; in others, she claims they are near shore, which they are wise enough to know means the same thing. Mermaids can also be a sign of approaching rough weather, and some have been described as monstrous in size, up to 2,000 feet (610 m).

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 563 comments Mod
Jonetta wrote: "Lauren, I had the same thought!

Charlene, I don't know. Maybe we should ask the author."

I was thinking the same thing, Lauren and Jonetta.