2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Why Mermaids Sing (Sebastian St. Cyr, #3)
This topic is about Why Mermaids Sing
Why Mermaids Sing > Question Q

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7591 comments Mod
There seems to be a distinct difference in justice served towards the aristocracy and everyone else. Was this considered the norm? Does this make Sebastian's decision to turn over the logs more meaningful?

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments Unfortunately, the aristocracy could only be judged by their peers. With this group of men who'd also been on that trip, they would have kept things covered rather than bring them into the open.

I thought Sebastian was just doing what he thought was right by Jarvis' son.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments There was a definite difference and to a certain extent, there still is.

I agree with you both.

Wesley Oldfield was another pitiful example. You lose your shirt through no direct fault of your own but end up in debtors prison, limiting your ability to be able to pay back your creditors.

But, at least he doesn't end up hanged like the poor people put to death for stealing to eat.

How in the world did the aristocracy justify this stuff? My husband and I discussed this at length (he's a history scholar) and how England escaped a revolution similar to France. My husband said they did that just barely.

message 5: by Veronica (last edited Mar 09, 2016 09:20AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments Jonetta wrote: ". My husband and I discussed this at length (he's a history scholar) and how England escaped a revolution similar to France."

Reading these books again I've been wondering this very thing. especially since Prinny, as portrayed in these books, seems to be a real idiot.

The discrepancy is so huge that's it's a wonder people tolerated it at all. The aristocracy could get away with anything and everything while a poor child of 10 could be hanged for stealing bread.

Oh, the atrocities done to children is reprehensible.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments Yes. It breaks my heart. In the last book when Tom is in prison/jail, there is a five year old boy curled up in the cell crying. I have a six year old son and that really affected me. I so wanted Sebastian to take him out of there too.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Jonetta wrote: "how England escaped a revolution similar to France. My husband said they did that just barely. ."

I think the fact that England had already gone through one revolution and suffered the consequences played a significant role in their not wanting to experience that again. As such, the people are willing to put up with a lot from the aristocracy.

In addition, it is also important to remember that there were some restraints put on the aristocracy even if only checks and balances that they themselves enforced. By the time of WWI, people were demanding more openness and limits on the upper classes.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Veronica wrote: "Reading these books again I've been wondering this very thing. especially since Prinny, as portrayed in these books, seems to be a real idiot.."

Not only in the books. He was exactly like this in real life and his brothers weren't much better. It is only Victoria and Albert who brought some sense of decorum to the monarchy.