2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Why Mermaids Sing > Question P

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7591 comments Mod
Sebastian turns over the ship's log to Jarvis. Your thoughts about him doing this and Jarvis' next actions?

message 2: by Charlene (last edited Mar 08, 2016 07:26PM) (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments Wasn't it Jarvis' son who refused to partake? I should think it would give him great comfort to know this. Whether he has any peace is in the future, if at all.

I don't recall whether we know the secret that Kat has learned which will keep her safe in her marriage.

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Yes, it is David Jarvis who refused to participate in the cannibalism and it was good of Sebastian to share the log with Jarvis even though something tells me Jarvis was well aware of the kind of person his son was.

We don't know the secret yet. Looking forward to finding out what skeletons Jarvis has in his closet.

message 4: by Jonetta (new)

Sebastian had to know that by turning over those logs to him, Jarvis would be hurt to know he'd misjudged his son and would seek retribution against Atkinson and Carmichael. Again, another instance where the aristocracy gets a different set rules and justice.

message 5: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments I think Sebastian's primary reason for giving the log to Jarvis was because he knows that Jarvis will make the people who killed his son pay when otherwise there would be no other justice for David. He last interaction with Lovejoy pointed to this.

I'm not entirely sure that Jarvis really knew the type of person David was. It seems he thought David was soft and weak, more of a dreamer with an artistic soul, than the hard and disciplined manly-man son he would have preferred. Finding out David had the courage and strength of conviction to stand up to a bunch of crazed adults was a surpise. The ending is where I found myself having some unexpected sympathy for Jarvis. It seems he realizes he had underestimated David and now has no chance to ever truly know him.

message 6: by Jonetta (new)

Well put, Veronica. I don't think Jarvis had a clue about his son.

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments I'm not so sure I agree that Jarvis didn't have a clue about his son. While he did perceive of David as weaker and was disappointed that he lacked the obvious strengths that come so easily to Hero, he still knew of his son's sweet nature and it couldn't have been surprising to learn that David would refuse to harm someone to save himself.

message 8: by Jonetta (new)

I think his belief of him being weak meant more than just physically, but also in mind. Jarvis just couldn't see his sensitivity equating to strength in mind as well as spirit. It takes someone pretty special to not only stand up to the crowd mentality but to also take them on.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 563 comments Mod
I agree with you, Jonetta! I am so glad Sebastian gave him the log.

message 10: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) | 407 comments I think it was a nice gesture on behalf of Sebastian.