2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Why Mermaids Sing > Question N

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7619 comments Mod
When Sebastian killed Lord Stanton and two of his men, he experienced an odd detachment. What do you think this says about his state of mind, then and later?

message 2: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments He had lost blood, was in shock, and perhaps the detachment that came back to him from the battles on the continent was an automatic response, to survive by any means he had.

I was surprised that he was able to follow through and get to the boy. Thanks to Tom's good work, Sebastian's strength ebbed just when the "cavalry" arrived.

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments I agree with Charlene. He reverted to battle mode. The detachment is the only way once can kill to survive and live with oneself afterwards.

message 4: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7619 comments Mod
I felt bad for him. He's still trying to "recover" from his war experience and he's thrown right back there. It felt like a setback.

message 5: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae The whole story is fuel for nightmares and PTSD, the grisly bodies, cannibalism, and death by his own hand.

He needed the detachment of the warrior - kill or be killed - to get the job done. He couldn't afford to dwell on it, afterwards a whole different story.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 563 comments Mod
I would agree with you all - he reverted back to being a soldier.

message 7: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 213 comments I agree with everyone. His soldier instincts saved him. I did worry though.