2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Why Mermaids Sing (Sebastian St. Cyr, #3)
This topic is about Why Mermaids Sing
Why Mermaids Sing > Question M

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7591 comments Mod
Did you ever have a suspicion about Dr. Newman? What were the clues?

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments Not as early on as others may have. When I learned that the rector had had a stroke right after Sebastian's visit, then the thought crossed my mind about his wife's death.

What clues did others see?

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments I worked it out after Sebastian visited the boy's stepfather and learned that his mother had had a relationship with a Jewish man. That's when I made the connection to the doctor - nothing is that much of a coincidence in a murder mystery :0)

You know how you get a tiny little clue early on and put someone up on the "board," waiting to later eliminate that person? That's what happened to me.

I can't remember if it was Lovejoy or Gibson who said the doctor was sort of uncooperative and reluctant to give up details and that had me give Newman a funny eye. Then when Reverend Thornton became ill immediately following Sebastian's visit, I got VERY suspicious.

Couldn't eliminate him but couldn't figure out his motive. Once that emerged, I couldn't let him go.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments Nope! Not only did I not suspect him on my first read a few years ago but I couldn't remember who did it as I was rereading it this time. And I didn't figure it out this time either. lol

I admit, those clues were obscure and I never would have guessed if I hadn't tried to eliminate him.

Loriidae No I was clueless. :)

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 563 comments Mod
I did wonder why he was brought up, but did not suspect him until Sebastian did.

Tracey (trakka) | 407 comments Well done Jonetta!

I was clueless.

Thanks, Tracey! Every once in a while this happens...and it is rare:)

Tracey (trakka) | 407 comments Jonetta wrote: "Thanks, Tracey! Every once in a while this happens...and it is rare:)"

Ha! On the rare occasions I figure it out I'm ecstatic!

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 212 comments I thought it was fishy when The Reverend took a turn for the worse. I wondered if the doctor did something or someone else. My problem with Newman was I couldn't put together how he fit in the puzzle.

Same here, Sharon. We had the same instincts but couldn’t prove it.