2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Why Mermaids Sing (Sebastian St. Cyr, #3)
This topic is about Why Mermaids Sing
Why Mermaids Sing > Question K

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7591 comments Mod
Did you suspect Alistair St. Cyr was Kat's father? If so, what were your clues?

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments Not until the aunt brought the miniature portraits to Kat. I can't figure out how she could be so self-righteous about Kat's paternity and have waited so long. Did I read it correctly that she did not know who was her sister's lover?

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments No, I didn't suspect it as there aren't that many clues to suggest the possibility. We don't get enough information on Hendon's behavior during his marriage or about Kat's family life (other than her mother's murder in Ireland) to suggest the connection between them.

That said, in retrospect, there is the fact that her eyes are the St. Cyr blue...

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Charlene wrote: "Not until the aunt brought the miniature portraits to Kat. I can't figure out how she could be so self-righteous about Kat's paternity and have waited so long. Did I read it correctly that she did ..."

She did know. She just didn't think that it mattered until she heard of Kat and Sebastian's impending nuptials and realized that she couldn't allow their relationship to continue.
She is a very hypocritical woman and her religious fervor explains a great deal about Kat's mother's decision to return to Ireland with her baby. She had no one to turn to.

There was a moment when Alistair revealed to Sebastian that he hadn't been faithful during his marriage. It gave me a flicker in that second and I remember going, "uh, oh."

When the aunt brought the miniatures, I just knew.

Emma Stone is just an awful person. She gives religion a bad name. Of course she knew and didn't care until the marriage was announced...a bridge too far in her pious world.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments I never suspected the first time I read the book. There were the mentions of her unknown English lord father and her intense blue eyes get mentioned quite a bit but my mind never made the connection.

Emma Stone is an awful person so not to defend her or anything but she tells Kat that she doesn't keep up with the movements of high society so she hadn't known of her involvement with the Viscount Devlin until she was made aware of the marriage announcement by someone else. She says that if she had known earlier she would have come forward earlier.

Overall, I was disappointed to learn of Kat's true parentage. This part of the story seems a tad too melodramatic and highly coincidental to me. I could do without this turn of events. My preference would be for the author to find some other means to separate the lovers.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Veronica wrote: My preference would be for the author to find some other means to separate the lovers. "

I agree that it was very convenient. On the other hand, it is a very good way of ensuring the relationship is truly ended without killing Kat off, which would have created a different problem of Sebastian pining for his "lost love" for god only knows how long. At least this way, its over and it opens up new directions for Sebastian's personal life.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments Veronica, I agree that this was a nasty means to separate the lovers.

However, even though I haven't read ahead in this series, I have wondered whether Sebastian is the man's son, other than legally.
So I'm hoping that he and Kat don't get back together, no matter what the future holds.

Phrynne | 592 comments I have always felt that Alister is not Sebastian's natural father which at least will not make it so yucky that he has been sleeping with his sister! Legally it is still wrong of course..

Loriidae Charlene wrote: "Veronica, I agree that this was a nasty means to separate the lovers.

However, even though I haven't read ahead in this series, I have wondered whether Sebastian is the man's son, other than legal..."

That was implied at the end by Amanda, that Sebastian is not his true son. It would also explain some of acrimony between them. A father that has lost both his true sons and resents that the only way to continue his heritage is through a child that isn't his.

Loriidae I didn't suspect at all, until the aunt showed the miniatures.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Loriidae wrote: "It would also explain some of acrimony between them. A father that has lost both his true sons and resents that the only way to continue his heritage is through a child that isn't his. ."

This is not the impression I get from Hendon. The acrimony is on Sebastian's part. He's angry with his father's interference in his early relationship with Kat. Hendon loves Sebastian and I don't think he cares that he's not his biological son.

I only sense a frustration on Hendon's part with Sebastian's lifestyle choices (investigating murders, Kat). Underneath all that, he seems to have a genuine affection for the man he raised and accepted as his son.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Yes, frustration is the right word. Hendon wants Sebastian to live a life more suitable to the heir to an Earl and not go gallivanting around involving himself in murders.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments Lauren and Jonetta, I agree with both of you regarding Hendon and Sebastian. While I do think that there may have been some resentment on Hendon's part in the couple of years immediately following the deaths of his two oldest (and biological sons) - which would be natural - I think that has long since passed. Hendon seems to truly love Sebastian to me, he's just not a touchy-feely, hugging type of man. His frustration with Sebastian is targeted at Sebastian's lifestyle.

That's the vibe I get, Veronica.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 563 comments Mod
Nope, it wasn't till Kat's aunt told her that I even thought about it.

Tracey (trakka) | 407 comments For me as well it wasn't until Kat's aunt told her. I think the author did the best thing other than killing her off. Now we know the relationship is final and there won't be any chance for it to be rekindled. Even if she ran away there would always be the chance that she would reappear.

Mary Beth  | 193 comments I didnt suspect it either and was so surprised when I found out!

message 20: by Sharon (last edited May 03, 2020 08:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 212 comments I didn't suspect at all. When Hendon talked about having affairs, I thought he was telling Sebastian he doesn't have to give Kat up. I never thought anything else.

I agree that Hendon loves and respects Sebastian. I even think he admires his skills in solving the murders.

I agree, Sharon. While he worries for him, Hendon is proud of the man Sebastian turned out to be.