2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Why Mermaids Sing (Sebastian St. Cyr, #3)
This topic is about Why Mermaids Sing
Why Mermaids Sing > Question J

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7591 comments Mod
Was Kat's decision to leave Sebastian a selfless or selfish act?

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments Insofar as Kat could be selfless, I think she did love Sebastian and her decision to leave him was both practical and out of love.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments I'm no sure whether Kat even has a selfless bone in her body. Everything she does and says is to protect herself. If it has the added benefit of being the right thing to do for Sebastian then so be it. However, his happiness is not in the forefront of her motivation no matter what she says to the contrary.

With so much selfish behavior shown before, I just felt she was backed up against a wall with no other option. It wasn't selfish but it wasn't selfless.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments The most unselfish thing she could have done was to not get involved with Sebastian again in book one. They'd already been apart, what, seven years? And he already thought she had left him because he wouldn't inherit anything. She should have left it at that. But no, she had to go and get him on the hook again knowing all along that it wouldn't last and she would end up breaking his heart again. All so she could get her jollies a few more times.

I actually probably would have found her a more interesting character if she had turned out to be a money and prestige hungry gold digger, and if she had continued her ruthless involvement with the French and become more of an antagonist to Sebastian. Him having to realize that she was never what he thought she was would have made for more interesting character evolvement as far as that goes.

I believe she loves him. Given her history, I also understand why she wants to hold onto the only person who's loved her unconditionally. I get that. She finally chose Sebastian when she decided to give up her spying. Too little, too late.

I don't dislike the woman, just dislike the choices she made in her relationship with Sebastian. He deserved better and I agree, Veronica, she should never have resumed her relationship with him...especially given her spying activities.

Loriidae Selfish - Kat was always on the lookout for herself, from an early age she had to manage on her own in the best way she knew how.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 563 comments Mod
Definitely for her own purposes. I don't think she can do anything for someone else. Maybe it is the way she was raised.

Tracey (trakka) | 407 comments Jonetta wrote: "With so much selfish behavior shown before, I just felt she was backed up against a wall with no other option. It wasn't selfish but it wasn't selfless."

I agree with you Jonetta in that I don't think it was selfish or selfless. She seemed to love Sebastian and a part of her wanted to protect him but there was also a part of her that was looking out for her self. She had no choice but to leave him.

I didn't know if that made sense but it seemed to live that way about her actions.

She is an enigma!

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 212 comments Jonetta wrote: "I believe she loves him. Given her history, I also understand why she wants to hold onto the only person who's loved her unconditionally. I get that. She finally chose Sebastian when she decided to..."

I agree with you. I do think Kat loves Sebastian, but not enough to do the right thing for him until she had no other choice. If things were different, she would have played with Sebastian until the end--never letting him go, but claiming she wants him to find a respectable wife.

I don't hate Kat as a character. There are times that I feel sorry for her. Also, she teaches us about Sebastian; the boy he was and the man he is. I hope it doesn't take too long for him to let go and move on with someone new.

We seem to be in the same place about her, Sharon. Very conflicted.