2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Why Mermaids Sing > Question I

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7619 comments Mod
How is it possible that Lord Hendon, Sebastian's father, didn't suspect that Kat was the actress who was Napoleon's spy? Was his disclosure to Sebastian calculated or was he clueless?

message 2: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments The way I read it, he was clueless. Perhaps he had just gotten that information.

I did not distrust him on this detail. Knowing Kat's relationship with his son, even disapproving Hendon might not jump to that conclusion. I don't think he knew about her Irish heritage, did he??

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments For a supposedly intelligent man, Hendon is a bit of an idiot. He really can't see things that are right in front of his nose!

message 4: by Jonetta (new)

I don't know if he knew about her Irish heritage but he should have given his intervention in their relationship seven years ago.

I couldn't believe he could be this obtuse but obviously so. Or, could it be that he just didn't give a care about it beyond gossip? Either way, doesn't speak well of his intelligence.

message 5: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments I think he honestly didn't know. What would be the odds that the actress in question would also be the very one involved with his son? It's been mentioned several times that Kat is London's most acclaimed actress so maybe he figured whoever it is it wouldn't be the one with the most attention on her. Plus, I seriously doubt that Jarvis let anyone know her identity.

message 6: by Jonetta (new)

I get your point of view. It just was confounding that Lord Hendon had a LOT of info and to not have even contemplated Kat was curious. She's the only actress he knows and because of her acclaim would be best postioned to have information to give away. He should have at least speculated.

message 7: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments I'm more amazed that he never twigged to Kat possibly being his natural daughter since he clearly thought she resembled his former mistress - who he KNEW had borne him a girl.

message 8: by Jonetta (new)

Combined, these two events definitely put him in the "idiot" (thanks, Lauren) category:)

message 9: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments Agreed, y'all. :-)

I just can't believe he's indispensable to running the government.

message 10: by Loriidae (last edited Mar 12, 2016 01:45AM) (new)

Loriidae I think his arrogance was at the fore, as an actress Kat was too beneath his notice for Lord Hendon to truly see her.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 563 comments Mod
Henden seemed to live in his own little world when it comes to things...much like Amanda. Even if something is true, if they don't want it to be they will try to push it away.

message 12: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 193 comments I dont think he knew. All what his mind was on was trying to break up Kat and Sebastian. He had to be thrilled when he found out that Kat was a sibling, which broke them up, even though he really isnt Sebastians biological father.

message 13: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 213 comments Hendon looked at Kat but didn't really see her as anything but a threat to his legacy. My guess is he felt any woman who walked away from him couldn't have a child as successful as Kat.

I agree he is an idiot