2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Why Mermaids Sing (Sebastian St. Cyr, #3)
This topic is about Why Mermaids Sing
Why Mermaids Sing > Question F

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7591 comments Mod
Do you think Kat should have confessed to Sebastian following Jarvis' threat? If so, when?

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments I really thought she would disappear, rather than confessing to Sebastian. What a surprising turn we had instead.

message 3: by Lauren (last edited Mar 09, 2016 01:40AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments She should have confessed two books ago! I might have been able to think better of her if she had.

I was a little disappointed in Sebastian's lackluster and forgiving reaction. He should have been more livid considering the fact that her actions probably caused the deaths of many young men in battle.

I agree, Lauren, about that timing. She should have fessed up in the first book. Once Jarvis threatened her and included Sebastian in that threat, she should have told him immediately.

Sebastian's reaction was telling. Whatever happened on the battlefields impacted him more deeply than I'd thought. Very surprising that he didn't even skip a beat in his forgiveness.

message 5: by Veronica (last edited Mar 09, 2016 07:39AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments Lauren wrote: "I was a little disappointed in Sebastian's lackluster and forgiving reaction. He should have been more livid considering the fact that her actions probably caused the deaths of many young men in battle. "

I was disappointed in his immediate forgiveness too. Kat had been so worried about the truth coming out that it was all more than a little anticlimactic when it finally happened. I think his reaction, or rather lack of one, only confirms for me that his attachment to her is not really grounded in any sense of reality. In his mind they exist in some dream world, some ideal he has built up in his mind. He even muses at one point in the book that there is much Kat has never told him so, really, how deep can this relationship be? She's a damsel in distress to him, someone he can lift up and make whole. I think she mostly appeals to his need to save people.

I also agree that she should have fessed up two books ago. Heck, I think she shouldn't have ever gotten entangled with him again. None of the reasons for why she spurned him the first time have changed. If anything, now there is an even MORE important reason to have avoided him, namely that she's a spy for the French! And still continuing to sleep with Sebastian once she knows Jarvis is on to her was even more selfish of her. For these reasons I just can't respect her as a character at all.

I had actually forgotten how much Kat was present in this book.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Veronica wrote: "She's a damsel in distress to him, someone he can lift up and make whole. I think she mostly appeals to his need to save people. ."

Very insightful, Veronica. I completely agree and I also think that his love for her is mixed up with feelings of guilt over the hardships that she endured in her life. He wants to rescue her from the life she has been living but only she can do that for herself.

Loriidae Lauren wrote: "She should have confessed two books ago! I might have been able to think better of her if she had.

I was a little disappointed in Sebastian's lackluster and forgiving reaction. He should have been..."

I agree, I was also let down by the easy forgiveness. He had been to war and seen the pointless horror of the battlefield. This part of the story was weak for me.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments Loriidae wrote: This part of the story was weak for me."

Kat's very presence in this series is the weakest part of the story to me.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 563 comments Mod
I agree with you Lauren and Jonetta - I think it was awful she waited so long. I think Sebastian was just too under Kat's spell and could see why he would forgive her so easily BUT I don't agree with it.

Tracey (trakka) | 407 comments Veronica wrote: "I think his reaction, or rather lack of one, only confirms for me that his attachment to her is not really grounded in any sense of reality. In his mind they exist in some dream world, some ideal he has built up in his mind. He even muses at one point in the book that there is much Kat has never told him so, really, how deep can this relationship be? She's a damsel in distress to him, someone he can lift up and make whole. I think she mostly appeals to his need to save people. ..."

Nicely said!

Too little too late for Kat!

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments Yes, indeed!

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 563 comments Mod
Ha, she has no pull in this group!

Mary Beth  | 193 comments I think that she should of told Sebastian straight from the beginning, she was keeping so many secrets from him and just led him on. It didnt surprise me though, because thats just the way Kat is, very self centered! I didnt even know that she was going to be able to stay alive in this one. I thought that this book might of been the end of Kat.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Mary wrote: "I thought that this book might of been the end of Kat. ."

We should be so lucky!

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments Mary wrote: " I thought that this book might of been the end of Kat."

I still think she should've died at the end of the first book! ;-)

Mary Beth  | 193 comments It would of been great if she did!

I've never seen so many agree about one character:)

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 212 comments I agree with all of you, but I'm not surprised that Sebastian could forgive easily. He fought for their relationship for years. It goes back to their teens when they were both suffering. Sebastian's mother's death/disappearance is all wrapped up with his feeling for Kat.

Also, Sebastian doesn't think too highly of Jarvis. It makes sense that he is going to side with Kat.

It wouldn't upset me if Kat died, but then she would be a martyr in Sebastian's eyes. This way he can wrap his head around his feelings and move on to someone who will love him truly.

Jewels | 1 comments I don't agree with any negative interpretations of Kat. I don't see her as self-centered on any level. I see her as a true heroine who has forged her own path, but always in the name of her homeland Eire... and what the bloody Brits did to her parents and family. She is beautiful, talented, smart, and has a good heart and conscious. I think her sacrifices for Sebastian were very noble, before he went to war, and after.

Just reading/ listening to the end of the book now. Amanda is telling Hendon that Sebastian will discover the truth one day - that means Amanda knows that he's not the biological son/ true heir of the Lordship - although that's extremely common.

message 20: by Sharon (last edited Jun 29, 2021 08:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 212 comments Jewels I don't think anyone is against Kat for her talent or independence. I don't have a problem with her fighting for her homeland. For me, it is that she worked for France knowing that the man she "loves" is there fighting. Her actions could have gotten him killed.

Thanks for a different perspective, Jewels.

message 22: by Lauren (last edited Jul 04, 2021 05:17AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments While I understand Kat's perspective considering her family history, my issue is with her lying to Sebastian. As Sharon says, he could have died as a result of her spying.

In general, I have a problem with heroes and heroines who lie. It puts me right off them and the romance. I just 1 starred The Accidental Countess for this exact reason.