2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Why Mermaids Sing (Sebastian St. Cyr, #3)
This topic is about Why Mermaids Sing
Why Mermaids Sing > Question E

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7619 comments Mod
A papier-mâché star, a goat hoof and a page from a ship's log...these were the items found stuffed in the mouths of the victims. What connections did you first form about these clues and Donne's poem? Did the poem help?

message 2: by Charlene (last edited Mar 08, 2016 06:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments It was amazing to me that Sebastian made the connections, especially when the star appeared in a victim's mouth. I remember that the reader was reminded that Sebastian was into poetry as a young man; even so, his memory of the beginning of Donne's poem was astonishing when I read that part.

The goat hoof was fairly clear, with cloven hoof associations. It was difficult for me to get the ship's log pages to connect with the poem, except by a roundabout way of thinking.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments If I remember correctly, I didn't really think of making connections myself and just accepted that the killer was making them in his own mind and that there was method to his madness.

I had no clue until the poem was introduced. I'm terrible with poetry so even after the poem was presented, I still didn't get it but relied on Sebastian's interpretations.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments That's me too, Jonetta. Poetry isn't my thing so if Sebastian said the poem was relevant that was good enough for me. :-)
I'm still unclear as to the killer's reasoning for choosing which object went into which victim's mouth.

Me either, Veronica. I got the sequence but not the person lineup. I even got the way the bodies were mutilated.

message 7: by Loriidae (last edited Mar 12, 2016 01:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Loriidae I didn't try to interpret the poem, not my thing, I guess I assumed that all would be explained when the crimes were solved.

I wasn't surprised by Sebastian's knowledge of poetry. Schooling was by rote, totally different to today. My father at 95 could still quote whole stanzas from poems he had learned at school.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments Loriidae wrote: "My father at 95 could still quote whole stanzas from poems he had learned at school"

That's awesome!

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 563 comments Mod
I had no clue about this poem and looked it up when he mentioned poet and title. I kind of think it is cool that people were able to quote poems so readily.

My husband quotes poetry, can recite whole poems. I'm in awe.

Really? That is so awesome :)

Tracey (trakka) | 407 comments Jonetta wrote: "My husband quotes poetry, can recite whole poems. I'm in awe."

Wow! I just don't get poetry and am always in awe of people who do.

Tracey (trakka) | 407 comments I didn't get the connections between the items and also struggled with the poem once it was known.

I don't get poetry either:) But! It sounds wonderful coming from hubby!

Jonetta wrote: "I don't get poetry either:) But! It sounds wonderful coming from hubby!"

I bet!

Lol! You've described my poetry comprehension skills perfectly, Stephanie:)

Mary Beth  | 193 comments I was intrigued with the poem and the souveniers that were used.
I tried to figure it out and figured it out a little but it was way too conplicated to me.

You weren't alone, Mary:)

Mary Beth  | 193 comments Jonetta wrote: "I don't get poetry either:) But! It sounds wonderful coming from hubby!"

Haha! I am stupid when it becomes to poetry. Now my husband is perfect with it and will send me poetry, then asks me why I cant do it. He makes me feel like an idiot lol!

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 213 comments I love poetry. I can still quote poems I had to memorize (Catholic school) as a kid. Walt Whitman, Emily Dickinson, Frost & Elliot make sense to me. John Donne not at all. I looked up the poem and found that its theme is women can't be trusted especially if they are beautiful. That confused me about the reason for killing the sons.

I didn't get the meaning of the objects until the end of the story.