2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Why Mermaids Sing (Sebastian St. Cyr, #3)
This topic is about Why Mermaids Sing
Why Mermaids Sing > Question D

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7619 comments Mod
Did you find it interesting that physicians were held in higher regard than surgeons? Why do you think that thinking has evolved? Rightly so?

message 2: by Charlene (last edited Mar 08, 2016 06:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments I did find that interesting that the landed gentry only could be physicians, and that surgeons were in a separate class in all ways.

I find it interesting that the word "surgeon" is derived from a Greek word that means "one who works with his hands" and in the aristocracy, work was a four-letter word.

It is interesting that surgeons now seem to be the more highly-regarded doctors in our times. However, I think we need all aspects of researcher/thinker/doer to get the best medical treatment.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Charlene wrote: "I find it interesting that the word "surgeon" is derived from a Greek word that means "one who works with his hands" and in the aristocracy, work was a four-letter word."

LOL!

As with many things in that time period, it had to do with social standing. Doctors were often younger sons of the aristocracy and they went to the best school and such. Surgeons were of a lower aka working class and there was the unsavory fact that they cut people open.

Today, surgeons are doctors who have had even more education and training. Their extra skills give them more prestige.

I think you nailed it, Charlene. The invasive nature of what surgeons did put them in a working class.

Lauren, that's the modern distinction and I believe it evolved as with anything that becomes "specialized," it means more focus, skill and money. Wealth becomes a great divider:)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments Charlene wrote: " ..I find it interesting that the word "surgeon" is derived from a Greek word that means "one who works with his hands" and in the aristocracy, work was a four-letter word."

Pretty much this. I actually find it amusing that in that time period the people who didn't have to do anything to get their money (i.e. it's inherited) were held in higher esteem than those who had to work hard to earn it, like Carmichael. Not that it made him any nicer.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Veronica wrote: "I actually find it amusing that in that time period the people who didn't have to do anything to get their money (i.e. it's inherited) were held in higher esteem than those who had to work hard to earn it,."

Yes, it is really incredible that someone who gambles their fortune away and has to marry some poor unsuspecting heiress is more socially acceptable than someone who works hard and earns their fortune.

I also learned the definition of the word "gentleman" in this context. It's evolved to something very positive and admirable but here? Not so much.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments The rich must have been bored out of their minds, especially the women. The whole idea of the "marriage mart" and parents "selling" off their daughters to the man with the deepest pockets. Ugh.

Most of the marriages were a farce in terms of being romantic relationships. The men had mistresses and the women lovers, all pretty well known and accepted unless it was blown in a scandal.

Loriidae No not really as the first surgeons learned of the human body by dissecting the dead.

And as stated earlier doctors were younger sons along with solicitors, clergymen and career soldiers.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 563 comments Mod
I have read other novels set in this time and have seen that surgeons are not treated fairly so was expecting that reaction. I think science became more of norm and people started to understand it and so it was seen as it should be.

Tracey (trakka) | 407 comments It is amazing to think that surgeons were treated as lower than general practitioners considering how surgery is quite an important role and I would certainly want someone highly skilled operating on me! I don't think one is better than the other, they just cover different things in the world of medicine.

Tracey (trakka) | 407 comments Veronica wrote: "I actually find it amusing that in that time period the people who didn't have to do anything to get their money (i.e. it's inherited) were held in higher esteem than those who had to work hard to earn it,..."

Yes it certainly didn't seem fair!

It is interesting, isn't it? Such an arbitrary system to establish and maintain a class system.

Mary Beth  | 193 comments Tracey wrote: "It is amazing to think that surgeons were treated as lower than general practitioners considering how surgery is quite an important role and I would certainly want someone highly skilled operating ..."

Tracey my feelings are the same way and thought it was crazy.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 213 comments Not surprised at all. I worked for a man who relocated to the US from British to be a surgeon when I was younger. He told me about the way people thought of surgeons in the old days.