2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Why Mermaids Sing (Sebastian St. Cyr, #3)
This topic is about Why Mermaids Sing
Why Mermaids Sing > Question B

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7659 comments Mod
Why did Sebastian take on this case?

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments I felt that Sebastian might not be aware of his motives for taking on this case, other than his wishing to right wrongs and to catch the bad guy.

I wondered whether he related to these young men being killed, since he was the only surviving son of his father.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Charlene wrote: "I wondered whether he related to these young men being killed, since he was the only surviving son of his father. ."

I think that he did relate to them in a way. In any case, he wanted justice for them.

Unlike with the first two books, Sebastian's motives are a little murkier. Part of me feels that he related to these young men's status as only sons of influential me and another side of me thinks that Sebastian is finding some purpose in investigating these cases.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments I agree with what's been said. I also think though that just the overall horrible ways in which these young men were killed and mutilated played a role in convincing him to take on the case. By all accounts, the young men killed were likable and well regarded by those who knew them so that only adds to the unfairness and cruelty of the murders.

Plus, Sebastian does note that he owes a debt to Lovejoy that he feels he can never fully repay. All that said though he still seemed his most reluctant to get involved.

Loriidae I felt that his "debt" to Lovejoy was more of a justification so he wouldn't have to search too deep within as to his motives.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 563 comments Mod
I agree with you all, but I also think he finds some kind of purpose in doing this to - not that he is aware of it though.

I think you may be right, Kris.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 563 comments Mod
Maybe the fourth book will give us more insight.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments I have the next book waiting for me at the library!

Tracey (trakka) | 407 comments Veronica wrote: "All that said though he still seemed his most reluctant to get involved. ..."

Yes he was hesitant at first and it took a bit initial investigation on his behalf before he fully committed himself.

Mary Beth  | 193 comments I think Sebastian took on this case because that is the way Sebastian is. He wanted justice for the awful deaths that took place and wanted to find out why the deaths were happening. I think he was intrigued.

I'm beginning to believe that Mary...it's the way he's wired.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 235 comments I think Sebastian will never be happy in the role of going to club to mingle or read books. That meaningless fodder of his station doesn't work for him.

Sebastian needs to find something meaningful to do with his life. It felt like his hesitation is more that the meaningless deaths remind him of the war. At the same time, finding the person/people behind the murders gives the victim and their family justice. Besides, it drives Amanda mad.