The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SPRING CHALLENGE 2016 > 20.7 - Shorter is Sweeter: Pamela3265's Task: When Books Went to War

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Mar 07, 2016 03:31AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17398 comments Mod
20.7 - Shorter is Sweeter: Pamela3265's Task: When Books Went to War

The last book I finished for the Winter Challenge was When Books Went to War: The Stories that Helped Us Win World War II. During World War II Hitler’s regime destroyed an estimated 100 miilion books in an effort to destroy ideas that were different than their own. In an effort to combat this war on ideas, the military formed a Council on Books in Wartime. The council published and distributed free books to American servicemen from 1943 – 1946. More than 123 million copies of 1,322 books were published and distributed. I found it ironic that more books were published than destroyed in this war on ideas.

For this challenge read ONE book. Indicate the option when you post.

A. Read When Books Went to War: The Stories that Helped Us Win World War II by Molly Guptill Manning
OR
B. Read ONE of the books that was published by the Council on Books in Wartime: Armed Service Editions.
Books with the notation "Made book" cannot be used since there are no equivalent editions of those books.

Some of the titles are not widely available. To make it easier, I’ve put together a list of the more readily available books on my book list Armed Service shelf. Remember to check ARBookFinder for books with the genre childrens.

message 2: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela3265) | 979 comments Claimed

message 3: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela3265) | 979 comments Claimed

message 4: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17398 comments Mod
This help thread is open!

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7514 comments Nice task - I read this book a couple of seasons ago