Girl Writers and Readers discussion

Writings > Writing Challenges

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Whittemore Let's start a writing skills exercise. Here are the rules. Answer the prior writing challenge, then make up a writing challenge yourself. For example...

Challenge: Write three words to describe the weather outside.

Answer: Spring at last!

You ready? Alright. Since I answered the last question, I'll put forth another challenge!

Challenge: Deliver the opening lines to an epic movie trailer.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

The Game starts again...are you ready?

Challenge: Write the last words of a dying man in five or less words

message 3: by Doctor Who Fan, MWAHAHAHAHA! (new)

Doctor Who Fan I♥♥DW | 690 comments Mod
"OH SH-- That's a grenade!"

Challenge: write a sentence that sums up your school day (not a run on sentence though)

message 4: by TessaMarie (last edited Mar 14, 2016 10:33AM) (new)

TessaMarie Beard | 4 comments German, why do you have to be so difficult

In exactly 13 words, describe the "perfect man"

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Smart, kind, funny, handsome, slightly taller than me, who will always love me.

Describe the sunrise in ten words.

message 6: by Doctor Who Fan, MWAHAHAHAHA! (new)

Calm, quiet, sky getting lighter, bright ball of flame rising

Write a haiku about a dog or cat

message 7: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Whittemore Cat. Silver hairline
Runs like the moon across the
Sky of ice and fire.

Challenge: Write an acronym for what the secret spy agency R.E.A.D. could stand for.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Resisting Emergencies...And Dying

Write a sentence that includes the words: castle, treadmill and dog.

message 9: by TessaMarie (last edited Mar 10, 2016 06:54AM) (new)

TessaMarie Beard | 4 comments It was easy to get the dog to run on the treadmill when it was shaped like a Castle.

Write a 5 word summary of the whole Harry Potter series

message 10: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Whittemore Magic. Death. Wonder. Love. Always.

Challenge: You have one chance to time travel! Where would you time travel to, what would you bring, for how long would you stay, and why?

message 11: by Doctor Who Fan, MWAHAHAHAHA! (last edited Mar 14, 2016 08:57AM) (new)

Medieval times, to be one of the nobles, I would bring pretty dresses and soap and toothbrushes and toothpaste and a water purifier and teabags and a journal and a few pencils, and I would stay for as long as it takes me to write an accurate representation of the life of nobility or until my soap and toothpaste runs out.

Create a short poem about a certain bag. (any bag you want)

message 12: by Doctor Who Fan, MWAHAHAHAHA! (new)

Hmmmm... the large hairless cat-slave is talking to me. Don't they know I don't care what they are saying to me? I'll just go back to sleep and hope they go away.

Challenge: Write something nice about your school.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I LOVE SCHOOL!!! I homeschool ^¿^

Challenge: Write three lines of a love song

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Should I go to the doctor (doctor)
I need to love... and be loved
Maybe it's a medical condition

Write from the point of view of a lightbulb :D

message 15: by Doctor Who Fan, MWAHAHAHAHA! (new)

I'm so hot, I glow. I give my light to all below me. A single flick of the switch is all you need to turn me on. I may look fragile but I last a lot longer than you would think. When I burn out, you'll throw me out and replace me.

Write about the moon in short simple sentences.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

It shines down on a us. Some see it as magical. Others only see it as an accomplishment. The man is the moon may be more than you think. He may be a woman... Maybe its a woman, a bald woman. Nonetheless, it still controls the waves.
((That sucked.... ^^^))

In 15 words or less write an emotional situation. ((Sorry... this is difficult XD))

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

My mother pushes me on the swing, her love and guidance sending me spiraling out of control and into the vast stretch of wispy blue. My legs, small and too fragile to be tossed into the world at such a force, dangle widly underneath me. Over and over, I am hurled like a blade that slices through the sky and draws invisible blood from the cowering clouds above me. O feathery clouds! I will catch you today. Of course, I am no mtach for the soft white plumes that could swallow me up in an instant. But here, up in this high place, they are beckoning me to come forward and dream.

Write one stanza of a poem from the point of view of someone with nervous tics :P

message 18: by TessaMarie (last edited Mar 28, 2016 01:16AM) (new)

TessaMarie Beard | 4 comments The eyes worn, the lips forever sealed, the forehead criss-crossed from so many years. It was a face that Told a Story, it was the face in the mirror.

Write between 50 and 75 words about a sandbox.

message 19: by Doctor Who Fan, MWAHAHAHAHA! (new)

Children playing with shovels and trucks, burying treasure that might never be found, all enclosed in a square of wood. Building castles and tearing them down, this is a place where imagination thrives. It’s a treasure map or a construction area, outer space or the high seas. And at night, it’s a kitty’s litterbox.

Write a sentence about the ocean

message 20: by TessaMarie (last edited Apr 01, 2016 06:24AM) (new)

TessaMarie Beard | 4 comments Endless and forever, yet always changing.

Write a letter to your 5 year old self (couple of paragraphs)

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Dear 5 year old self,

You don't know anything of the troubles that await you, of the heartbreaks, tears and stress. The worries that will you plague your mind in the day, and the loneliness that will settle upon you at night. The devil will play with your emotions and try to lead you into hell. But please hang in there and brace yourself. Stay strong and go your own way.

Although life will feel like death sometimes, you will be held up by the joys and miracles. You will find friends that will fuel your will to survive and pull through every long day. There will be weeks where you are so lost in another world of wonder that you feel as happy as you are now, at age five. You will discover what is important to you, and realise that you are important to others as well.

I see hope for you, so hold on when the going's tough, because good things are on the way.

~Your 15 year old self

Challenge: write up to 30 words about a plane crash without using the word plane or crash

message 22: by Doctor Who Fan, MWAHAHAHAHA! (last edited Apr 03, 2016 02:59PM) (new)

Fire is all around me. I hold my head, trying to remember what happened. There was turbulence, and then we were falling. We hit the ground, and everything crumpled.

Challenge: Write a plot for the worst book you can think of

message 23: by RL (new)

RL (rllee) Sarah has been singing since she was two. All of a sudden she gets famous and moves to La. Her life is dark and lonely with fame until she meets George, the weird boy next door. Inspired by George, Sarah quits her job to become a scientist and finds a way to clone cereal. She wins countless awards and metals, dumps her boyfriend George, and moves on to marry her long lost boyfriend from kindergarten.

(Lol this is more of a comedy book, really weird and everywhere)

Ps. There are some really talented people on here :D

Challenge: write a paragraph from a book about a boy with invisible powers

message 24: by Doctor Who Fan, MWAHAHAHAHA! (new)

Charlie was very happy. Now he was able to go anywhere without anyone noticing. He could sneak into his older sister's room without her seeing and snoop in all of her stuff. It would be so much fun! Now that Charlie was invisible, he thought to himself, "I wonder if I could go rob the Bank!" He decided to ask his friends for help.

Challenge: Write a fight scene with lightsabers and/or laser guns from Star Wars (preferably lightsabers)

message 25: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (_worldofwriting_) | 98 comments I don't know if this is what we're supposed to post on here, but I'm doing a 12-hour writeathon tomorrow if anyone wants to join me!