Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Ann's better late than never Feb-2016 books read

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (last edited Mar 05, 2016 05:42PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14606 comments I have been trying to find time to post my February books for about a week, tonight I finally found the time to sit down and pull off the details and get them into the Excel spreadsheet and posted here. Five for the month, (oops there were actually seven) each an audio book, sometimes supplemented with a print Kindle copy. The Group Read book for February among them - what great discussions we have had for After The Crash.

After the Crash
The Guest Room
Harmony Black
Only One Life
Only Love Can Break Your Heart

Bussi, Michael After the Crash Overdrive audio finished 2/3/2016 ranked 9.25 of 10 with higher marks for the excellent discussion this book engendered.
Quite an interesting premise and lots of food for thought and discussion. Who were the parents of the infant found at the crash scene and what impact did the mystery have on the child and the two families for years to come. The French setting, names and phrases made for a slightly off-kilter effect but were interesting to consider the characters and investigations from a different direction.

Bohjalian, Chris The Guest Room Audio from the library finished 2/7/2016 ranked 9.5 of 10
This book was hard, hard to put down, hard to read in parts, hard to forget. This book was also very good, well written thought provoking, compelling and heart breaking. Excellent narration and voice to a highly emotional book. This was my first by the author, it won't be the last.

Schaefer, Craig Harmony Black Audible audio finished 2/10/2016 ranked 9.25 of 10
I started this one on my Kindle, two strong female FBI Agents on a special detail for supernatural crimes, the kind with details that can't be included in a standard incident report. I look forward to the next in the series and more by the author. I liked the "Harry Dresden-esque" flavor of the investigation from a female supernatural pov.

Blaedel, Sara Only One Life Overdrive audio finished on 2/17/2016 ranked 9.25 of 10
A compelling story with an underlying theme of friendship, It builds into a solid denouement and introduced me to a smart strong female detective and Danish police procedure. The audio narration was at times a bit stilted, possibly due to the translation to English, though I didn't note that on a previous book. I liked the other book a bit better but will read more by this author someday.

Tarkington, Ed Only Love Can Break Your Heart Overdrive audio finished on 2/24/2016 ranked 9.25 of 10
Told from the point of view of an adolescent boy, I initially took a while to settle into the story, but settle I did, lured by the characters and setting - with the familiar to me 1970's music and attitudes.

message 2: by Ann (last edited Mar 06, 2016 01:37AM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14606 comments and then Goodreads told me I had read 17 books this year, so I missed two from February in my first post. Oops. I need to stop marking books read only from my phone.
The Lightkeepers
The Color of Water: A Black Man's Tribute to His White Mother

Geni, Abby The Lightkeepers Overdrive audio finished 2/17/2016 rank 9 of 10
haunting and stark, the island where researchers are exposed to incredible beauty, wildlife and danger raise the question of science, when is just observing not enough.

Corrected: McBride, James The Color of Water Overdrive audio finished 2/13/2016 rank 9 of 10
The perspective and historical detail made this a very good book, the audio gave voice to a strong character and his life, but along the way it is also a story of American immigration and of the impact our families and our parents can sometimes have on our success and on our failings if we are not supported in the beginning though ultimately we must make our own way and sometimes rise above it and realize that impact much later.

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments Good month. ONLY LOVE CAN BREAK YOUR HEART has piqued my interest!

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Very good month Ann.

message 5: by Shomeret (last edited Mar 05, 2016 10:23PM) (new)

Shomeret | 1380 comments Ann, I believe you made an error. The author of The Color of Water: A Black Man's Tribute to His White Mother is not the deceased James Baldwin but James McBride.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14606 comments Shomeret: you are correct! Thank you for pointing out I had listed the wrong author; I just edited my post.
Shomeret wrote: "Ann, I believe you made an error. The author of The Color of Water: A Black Man's Tribute to His White Mother is not the deceased James Baldwin but James McBride."

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8053 comments Interesting books, Ann. I'm curious about The Color of Water.

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14606 comments I enjoyed it Carol!
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Interesting books, Ann. I'm curious about The Color of Water."

message 9: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3684 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Interesting books, Ann. I'm curious about The Color of Water."

i read it years ago and remember enjoying it.

message 10: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2678 comments Good month, Ann.