Our Shared Shelf discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > #BustleReads Challenge

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Vega (neapoulain) Hi!

I discovered this awesome reading challenge today (shame on me) and, although I am certain some of you must know it, I figured this would be one of the best places to share it. Because we are a Book Club and I'm asuming most people like reading here, because it's about books written by women, POC writers, or that talk about other cultures (like indigenous, middle-east, ectétera).

Here are the link if someone is interested: BustleReads Challenge. There are 20 categories and suggestion for the 20 :D

Andrea.

message 2: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Ana PF | 746 comments Mod
Hey, Andrea, thanks for posting this! I did not know about this challenge and although sadly I do not think I can take on much more than what I'm currently trying to read (I despise myself for saying this, gosh!), I will certainly try and add some of those categories to my own personal bookshelf this year. :)

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Vega (neapoulain) Ana wrote: "Hey, Andrea, thanks for posting this! I did not know about this challenge and although sadly I do not think I can take on much more than what I'm currently trying to read (I despise myself for sayi..."

No need to complete de Challenge!

I actually doubt I can complete it myself but the important thing is to try and read new things :)

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (meetmeinmalkovich) Cool!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

This challenge looks awesome! I won't complete it exactly but I do intend to finding some of the books on the list and reading them :) .

message 6: by Aglaea (last edited Mar 06, 2016 02:27AM) (new)

Aglaea | 987 comments If someone craves even more challenges, in this group there are mentioned a few:
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

The group started before this calendar year with the aim to read through the PopSugar challenge list. I wasn't part of it until this year, when a new group was formed around the members' own challenges, but there are mentioned also PopSugar 2016, some impromptu alphabet challenges, and a rainbow-cover challenge among others.

I've added many of them as bookshelves to my own profile, with the purpose to read once and for all through all my paper books.

message 7: by Katelyn, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Katelyn (katelynrh) | 836 comments Mod
Oh awesome! I love the idea of that reading challenge!

message 8: by Natasha (new)

Natasha (jouljet) (jouljet) | 3 comments It's occurred to me too that with Our Shared Shelf, and through other reading picks so far this year, I have been reading all Female voices, which seems like a pretty awesome challenge to try (or mostly choose, for the year). A pretty awesome focus, for sure. Great way to enhance our feminist learnings, and thinking.

I have stumbled upon two articles of someone doing just that, and found it pretty inspiring!

The quote is from a reader focusing their reading for a year on Writers Of Colour, commenting on the challenge of another to read all Female voices for a year:

"One reason why I decided to “limit” myself in this way was because I was inspired by Lilit Marcus’s Flavorwire piece about why she only read books written by women in 2013:

One difference that my book list made is that it ever-so-delicately altered the way I looked at the world. It was slow at first, but opening myself up to a variety of female perspectives made me more aware of the female lives around me … Feminism, as bell hooks pointed out, is for everyone. And when we become more aware of the small injustices and tiny everyday tragedies around us, we become better people. Reading women’s voices helped me to hear them more loudly in my daily life. Our culture is getting better and better at encouraging women to speak, but it’s not doing enough to listen to what they say when they do."

Article about reading Writers of Colour for a year - http://www.theguardian.com/commentisf...

Article about reading only Women Writers for a year - http://flavorwire.com/429473/why-i-on...

message 9: by Erin (new)

Erin Kroll | 4 comments Thanks for posting this. It seems like a wonderful idea and I'm really going to try and do this.

message 10: by Luckness Rabbit (new)

Luckness Rabbit | 10 comments Thanks to Andrea for sharing this, it´s certainly an interesting reading challenge that I will try to fulfill and add to my personal reading challenge. I have already read some of the books that appear in this challenge, and the recommendations are amazing, also, as it is an open challenge I guess it´s easier to choose a book from each category.

Thanks again, I am learning a lot about literature and feminism with this book club and its members!

message 11: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Vega (neapoulain) I am so happy with many people trying the challenge :)

Natasha wrote: "It's occurred to me too that with Our Shared Shelf, and through other reading picks so far this year, I have been reading all Female voices, which seems like a pretty awesome challenge to try (or m..."

I heard about people that only has read women writers for a year and this year I choose to put my attention in women writters, although I did not stopped reading men. It's ceartanly different: yoy discover awesome books!

message 12: by Hermione_7870 (new)

Hermione_7870 | 10 comments Thanks a lot for posting this :) I will probably be able to do this because most of my time is reading/studying

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.